Struggling with installation

Have just downloaded and installed Studio, but am having problems. According to the 'Quick Start' guide there should be figures under 'Smart Content' but there aren't any (I have an old version - 4.0 something so have used 4 a bit before.) According to the DIM it's installed the files as per attachment. The line did drop during installation, so it wasn't all smooth running.

Note. I put the DIM onto the D disc but Studio installed itself on the C disc....however*.

regards
Pete

*Originally wrote "I would like to put Studio there too - please advise how." but I've found the answer to that....)

Image2.jpg
560 x 429 - 135K
Post edited by peter.breslin_4cc56999d3 on

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

where are you installing the content too, does the DIM and DS tally with the same directories as the DIM at default install content to Public Documents. If DS is not looking in the right place then it will not see the content. Have you checked to see if the content is in the Content Library Pane (not Smart Content).

• edited December 1969

Many thanks for your response.

Sounds tricky. I didn't change any settings in the DIM, and it appears to have installed things on the C drive - everything (well, probably - at a quick glance anyway) appears to be there. However, the 'Content Library' is pointing to the stuff on the D drive from the previous (4.0 something) installation.
    I'm tempted to uninstall both the old and the new and reinstall the new on the D drive. However, I'm not sure how cleanly the old (or new?) version will uninstall - and it would be good to understand what went wrong in the first place!

regards
    Pete

edited April 2014

LOL it isn't tricky at all, just need some lateral thinking. :) What went wrong is this. DIM at default will install content to Public Documents if on Windows. So if you didn't give DIM directions then it will not install content to where you want it to go. So open DIm up uninstall everything, check them all and, then right click and delete them. Close and reopen DIM go into the DIM settings and change the path to where you want the content to install to and reinstall. If you don't know how then I can get some screencaps posted tomorrow or wait until someone from another part of the world not going to bed to help. ;)

Now DS will not see this new content as it does not know where the content was installed too. You can see this by going in to the Content Directory Manager inside DS and look at the content paths. I beat you 100% that Public documents is not listed in both Daz Studio and Poser formats.

And yes you can install DS on a different drive, many do.

Post edited by Szark on
  • edited April 2014

Many thanks for your response, but now my brain hurts.

As I didn't change anything at all in the DIM it put the stuff in whatever it defaults to: bits and pieces (sorry, content) on the C drive in the public directory, program in C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4. Or whatever. That seems reasonable,

Not really where I want it - but it should still work! As it is, it can't find its Smart Content and is pointing to a library on the D drive. Sort of bonkers, unless the program is trying to be clever and re-use the old stuff and getting in a right mess because they are on different drives!

Never mind. Telling it where to install the stuff looks easy enough so no screen shots needed, but thanks for the offer.

Ah well, perhaps re-installing and hoping is the way out.....

regards
    Pete

***Removed as I've just done this bit, but it doesnt restore Smart Content. Oh well. However, now I'm puzzled as to how to convince DS to look elsewhere (i.e. on the C drive where it should have looked in the first place) for its content.

edited December 1969

Google DAz Studio Content Directory Manager and all will or should become clear. This is where we tell DS to look for content. It is not automatic. Don't worry about Smart Content for now if it isn't in the Content Library Pane then that is the problem, DS doesn't know where to look.

Good night I am off to bed now. I will check in tomorrow to see if you still need help.

• edited December 1969

Good-night and thanks, I'm off soon too!

regards
    Pete

• edited April 2014

post removed

edited December 1969

I was just about to reply. You get it all sorted?

• edited December 1969

Well, possibly. Finally managed to delete from the C drive
    (I still can't believe that the attempted delete claimed it had worked, and then found Studio still there, then the DIM said Studio was there after all etc. so I'm assuming finger trouble)
    Will attempt to install later this-evening to the D drive using hints from the HelpCentre (https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/home) but having read the FAQ may also have to delete 4.0 first as 'strongly advised'.'

I daren't ask if there's any way of keeping Genesis 1....must go, dinner and a bit of cooking call.............

regards
    Peter

edited December 1969

Yes remove 4.0 if you want to run 4.6.

Keeping Genesis 1 well if you intend to start over then just reinstall Genesis to where you want your content.

• edited December 1969

Working OK now, many thanks. There are still bits of version 4.0 content lingering, but they will be dealt with............

regards
    Peter

edited December 1969

ok great to hear