How do I make Dynamic Cloth fit a modified figure?

RLPRLP Posts: 55
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

I don't have much experience working with the Dynamic Clothing and I'm getting weird results trying to get the Medieval Bundle items work with a morphed G2 female figure. Nothing radical but she's taller than base, mainly due to long legs, and she uses a few oddball things like a partial A4 morph to make her look like a character I first did back with A3, then updated to 4 and now to G2. Anyway, when I try to get it to drape it first pulls everything down and then wads things up.

Comments

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,952
    edited December 1969

Dynamic clothing does not resize like other conforming clothing. What you'll need to do is size the figure to something close to the size of the figure for whom the DC item is native, do your drape and then, with the DC item frozen and parented, size your figure back to what you wish it to be.

• RLPRLP Posts: 55
    edited December 1969

Well, that seems to work but now the clothing is a prop if I'm doing this right. It doesn't move with the figure so it's kind of become " very un-dynamic" cloth. Can these things be resized in something like Hexagon or maybe Poser, then sent back to Studio? I almost never use a figure at the distribution size. Hobbits, giants, six foot plus amazons or five foot kunoichis but very seldom 5'10" fashion models

edited December 1969

You know, I really do get a kick out of that "New Member" over the January 2005 start date.:coolsmirk:

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

Dynamic clothes don't move with a character! Once draped that is it. You would have to make another drape with every pose you require.

edited December 1969

As wilmap says. It will depend on what your need is - if you are after a single image then just 'plonk' the DC item on the size-adjusted figure, go to frame 20 or 25 in the timeline and do an animated drape, freeze, parent, etc. If, however, you are after an actual animated render, then that process will, of course, not work for you.

edited December 1969

OK. Now I know to stay away from Dynamic Clothes. Thanks for the info folks.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

wilmap said:
    Dynamic clothes don't move with a character! Once draped that is it. You would have to make another drape with every pose you require.
    so how come there are animations on Martian's site http://www.optitex-dynamiccloth.com./
    edited December 1969

If you are using the DC item on the figure it is native for and are not intending to adjust/morph that figure a huge amount then an animated drape to create a neat animation for the figure moving from pose 1 to pose 2 is very possible. You still freeze the animation which both converts the DC item to a prop, plus creates a morph specific to each frame of the animation.

As stated previously, DC items are more like real world clothes than most 3D content - you don't go out and just buy a pair of trousers or a shirt with the knowledge that they will magically fit; they are of fixed dimensions. That said, I don't (sadly!) get to adjust MY dimensions so you should still be able to size the target figure for the DC item, do the drape as mentioned before, and then resize the figure before doing the animated render.