Dystopian Vending machine for healthy eating.

Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,198
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Rendered in Carrara, GI Ambient occlusion only and SSS on the veg and fruit. Total Rendering time on a bog standard i7 machine, just over 2 minutes at 1920x1080.

Used in every lobby by the lifts so that Citizens need never be without healthy food (oh and Pizza).

Vending_Machine.jpg
1920 x 1080 - 768K

Comments

• Three WishesThree Wishes Posts: 471
    edited December 1969

I like it. Tempting, yet ominous.

• edited December 1969

I love the design on this! It really fits the concept of dystopian future!

Boojum

• Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,198
    edited December 1969

Thanks.

I have a little comedy moment planned for this prop in episode 12 when we finally get there.

• edited December 1969

Oh? Maybe a bunch of ghouls standing around the vending machine getting it to vend "Lady Fingers?" *giggle*

Boojum

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,249
    edited December 1969

Don't do it, Steve! Don't trust them!
    First they take your money. Their excuse is that they have to feed you. Now they're charging an arm and a leg for simulated... well... who knows what... that resembles food, and it's filled with that horrifying mind control medicine! Just don't do it! :ahhh:

edited December 1969

BTW, nice render and render time! looks great!

edited December 1969

Thanks man, and it's not Octane - it's good ol' Carrara. I'm developing Ep 10 alongside the re-renders of 1 and 2.

If the Carrara-Octane plug in is delayed I may even render out 10 in Carrara.

Do you have much experience with sub surface scattering? I'm only just learning about it. That lighting book is great.

• dot_batdot_bat Posts: 373
    edited December 1969

nice distressing with shaders. could you show your shader set-up for that. thanx

edited December 1969

dot_bat said:
    nice distressing with shaders. could you show your shader set-up for that. thanx

Hi, If you mean the main shell of the vending machine, it's a texture file taken from the free dystopian bench (Over at team dystopia), then I cut out the green bit from the jpg file and just set the colour and bump to the same image.

In the bump I multiplied with a percentage for control over the bump and set it to 50%.

Here is a summary image.

ScreenShot718.jpg
    1540 x 862 - 524K
  • dot_batdot_bat Posts: 373
    edited December 1969

thanx for info. ineed to work on aging shafers

edited December 1969

Thanks man, and it's not Octane - it's good ol' Carrara. I'm developing Ep 10 alongside the re-renders of 1 and 2.

If the Carrara-Octane plug in is delayed I may even render out 10 in Carrara.

Do you have much experience with sub surface scattering? I'm only just learning about it. That lighting book is great.
    Not really, but I have some great experiments for it on my workbench. Here are some of my thoughts:
    When you turn on the SSS channel, I am understanding that you are now to use the translucency within that channel instead of the main Translucency channel, which is a bit of a bummer, because I always wanted to control the amount of SSS translucency with a map so that I could detail out parts of, say, the ear... where the thicker parts are affected much less, and the thinner tissue is stronger.

However, I have a feeling that this can be achieved nicely without a map, just experimenting with the fresnel, refraction, intensity, and translucency vs the diffuse reflection. For things like people, I would definitely start my experiments with using Local coordinates as well.

I have three of Digital Carvers Guild's shader packages. Shader Ops, Shader Ops 2, and Enhance C.
    Since I've been working mostly on things for others that may not want to have to buy a separate plugin, I have, most unfortunately, not been experimenting much with these yet - though I can hardly wait to. Anyways, one of those has a whole new SSS system in it, where I can use maps. So my experiments will now be using (and requiring) that plugin. I think it's Enhance C, but I could be wrong.

Here's the thing:
    I looked closely at the Candle subsurface scattering example that comes with Carrara. Simple shader settings, very nice result. Why? Again, Carrara comes through by giving us this great little example file to examine. Check it out. Where we really want to see that sss in affect, jam a freaking light right tight up near the part that you want to glow - and link that light to that subject, as you'll likely already have other lighting that is in the scene, supposedly causing the sss.

So in my example of the human ear, I was seeing some images where a strong light from behind would cause the ear to glow with sss. Twisted and corrupted river-flok might not exactly be human, but Golem, in Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, has some wonderful examples of sss in his ears. Not exactly sure if I'm confusing translucency with sss in his case, but knowing how much detail Weta put into the realism of digital assets they've made for that movie, I'd bet it's sss.

The thing that got me to drop it was, of course, the extra render time. At first, I was truly willing to just allow for that bit of calculation, and leave it in. Ringo's Human Shaders have some nice sss in them. After a while, I noticed that I was barely ever truly needing it. So I came to an entirely new decision: Use it when I need it. So I was planning to bring some of that in when my characters had some really tender moments with a bright back lighting. But as it turns out, their long hair sort of makes sss, once again, unneeded. So she'll have to tuck her hair behind her ear or perhaps at a time when their hair is wet... Anyways, I'm ready to bring it in and work with it, when the time comes.

I hope some of that babble is, if not helpful, at least inspiring towards some sort of thoughts around subsurface scattering.