About plant studio....

jamilan-2246581jamilan-2246581 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

I've recently begun dabbling in plant studio and one question stick in my mind.
Is there any way to "smooth out" the objects that plant studio generates?
I suppose what I'm referring to is subdivision, but I'm not confident in that line of thought.
I'm sure that my level of skill and understanding with the program is influencing my results.
Below are a few Plant studio objects I've mucked around with as well as a few bryce flowers for comparison.

What are your thoughts on the matter?
Thank you for your time.

Plant_Studio_Experiments.jpg
1920 x 1080 - 133K

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,284
    edited December 1969

@jamilan - I'm not a great PlantStudio expert. It is a nice program and I should use it more. Export the plant as Wavefront OBJ from PlantStudio and import into Bryce. You can also use 3DS but as a rule, you're better off with OBJ.

Once in Bryce, you have to Smooth it. This is a bit strange because OBJ are usually directly smoothed in Bryce when imported. Anyway, you have to do it.

Below an example of an exported PlantStudio2 plant. The first image shows the angular appearance in Bryce.

In the wireframe view in Bryce, select the plant and click on [E] (red arrow). This opens the Edit Mesh dialog. Click the Smooth thumbnail. On the lower edge, you'll see the progress.

The third image shows the result.

Now - you can also smooth only individual parts of the plant. You have to select the part(s) you want being smoothed.

On the left side of the Edit Mesh dialogue you see a scale of degrees and a red bar. You can move this bar up or down to set the smooth angle. The default (around 85°)usually gives the desired result. If not, experiment with other settings.

By the way - wow, your plants look great!

PlantSmooth.jpg
    800 x 800 - 83K
    PlantGrid.jpg
    800 x 800 - 65K
    PlantOrig.jpg
    800 x 800 - 84K
  • jamilan-2246581jamilan-2246581 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

@Horo: Thank you very much.
    That is exactly what i needed. I hadn't figured out how to use the smoothing function until you brought it up.
    I had always thought it glitched since nothing would happen when i clicked the tick.
    I Think I've got the hang of it now.

And thanks for the compliment. Now i have to work on posing the branches and flowers independently.

Plant_Studio_Experiments.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 83K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,284
    edited December 1969

@jamilan - you're more than welcome. I'm glad you could make it work.