Please, DAZ!

HeraHera Posts: 1,955
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Please, DAZ - begin again to include the readme's in the product downloads!
Bought the Gianni pro bundle, and am now looking forward to several hours of cutting and pasting readme's. Not happy!

Comments

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

I haven't bought a bundle in quite a while, so didn't realize they don't include all the product ReadMe files with the bundle.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,918
    edited December 1969

IF your using DIM you have easy access to all the product ReadMe's

• jerriecanjerriecan Posts: 470
    edited December 1969

Not everyone uses DIM, though. I've had some issues finding the readmes on the DAZ site - even if not included with the product, there should be an easy way to include a link on the product page itself, one would think.

edited December 1969

Find the sku number and look them up here if you aren't using DIM. http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/start. But life would be a lot easier using it. All you have to do is click on a button and it takes you do the readme. Also downloads everything to exactly where you want it as long as you set it up that way. and gives you all the updates without having to search through every product in your product library. And there are a LOT of updates all the time which the people not using DIM would almost never know about.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,054
    edited December 1969

product view in content library not smart content) is the easiest way with DIM I have been educated
    (thx Jaderail)
    Smart content completely ignores a lot of compatible stuff for me, for instance the new PC club pirate for genesis, G2M works
    yet shows an old M2 viking pack I bought if I have Micheal2 loaded
    it is very inconsistant
    readmes are often my only sure way of finding what things are for.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,940
    edited April 2014

...Rendo provides a link to readme files on the product pages that you can view before you buy.

Don't see why that can't be done here.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • HeraHera Posts: 1,955
    edited December 1969

I use the DIM, although when I download stuff trough DIM, readme's are seldom included these days, instead I have to go to the 'downloaded' part of the DIM and then click in the _i_ for every single product, and it starts open explorer windows and then begins the hazzle, to cut and past what's in there and put it in text document and name those documents accordingly and save them down in the readme's library or sub libraries. It's such a dreary job when buying a lot. Would be much easier to have the readme's included in the download. Because I really need to save the readme's, that's the only way for me to recall where to find things in the 'all over the place' catalogue system which is DAZ.

• Digital Lite DesignDigital Lite Design Posts: 728
    edited December 1969

Herakleia said:
    Bought the Gianni pro bundle, and am now looking forward to several hours of cutting and pasting readme's. Not happy!

When you are on the ReadMe page in the Document Center, you have the ability to export the page as a PDF or ODT (Open Office) document. Quick and simple. :) There are icons in the top right corner.

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Herakleia said:

When you are on the ReadMe page in the Document Center, you have the ability to export the page as a PDF or ODT (Open Office) document. Quick and simple. :) There are icons in the top right corner.Why not put that button on the Product Library page, and save us some time finding the readme in order to download it?

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

There are also a lot of old Readmes in the "zz-" format, some of which were on the now-defunct ArtZone site and not all of which have been put back into a DAZ server we can get at. Is anyone still updating and fixing those old Readmes?

• HeraHera Posts: 1,955
    edited December 1969

Herakleia said:

When you are on the ReadMe page in the Document Center, you have the ability to export the page as a PDF or ODT (Open Office) document. Quick and simple. :) There are icons in the top right corner.

Problem is I cannot use these documents, because I desire to add my own comments to the readme's - fi I often change directories and folders and/or the names on those to have it easier to find things. That I cannot do with the PDF. And the OTD document is only containing the product name, and that's rather meh.

Why complicating things, why not using a simple text file and pack that with the delivery?

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

There are also a lot of old Readmes in the "zz-" format, some of which were on the now-defunct ArtZone site and not all of which have been put back into a DAZ server we can get at. Is anyone still updating and fixing those old Readmes?

Add to that the number of times DAZ has gone through and changed sku's.

What's wrong with a link on the product page that opens the basic read me in txt format that can be opened in Notepad or the Mac equivalent?

It would save Customer Service a whole lot of time if buyers could check the read me. Especially give the number of times the product pages are less than accurate.

edited April 2014

Edit: Opps didn't realize I already said that. lol

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,874
    edited December 1969

Herakleia said:
    ... Because I really need to save the readme's, that's the only way for me to recall where to find things in the 'all over the place' catalogue system which is DAZ.

Yeah, don't you love confusion? :) I use Products in Content Library because it's alphabetical and almost all the products are listed there. But those that aren't, happy hunting lol!

edited December 1969

Herakleia said:
    Herakleia said:

Problem is I cannot use these documents, because I desire to add my own comments to the readme's - fi I often change directories and folders and/or the names on those to have it easier to find things. That I cannot do with the PDF. And the OTD document is only containing the product name, and that's rather meh.

Why complicating things, why not using a simple text file and pack that with the delivery?
    ...my feelings exactly.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

Herakleia said:
    I use the DIM, although when I download stuff trough DIM, readme's are seldom included these days, instead I have to go to the 'downloaded' part of the DIM and then click in the _i_ for every single product, and it starts open explorer windows and then begins the hazzle, to cut and past what's in there and put it in text document and name those documents accordingly and save them down in the readme's library or sub libraries. It's such a dreary job when buying a lot. Would be much easier to have the readme's included in the download. Because I really need to save the readme's, that's the only way for me to recall where to find things in the 'all over the place' catalogue system which is DAZ.

You can move and rename your product folders within DS to have it make more sense to you. ALL my texture add on MATS I move to IN the folder of the base outfit - so they are right there when I am loading the outfit. No having to go to the POSE folder to find them, nor scratch your head trying to figure out what vanity folders mean.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited April 2014

Kyoto Kid said:

...my feelings exactly.
    Just to play the Devils advocate here try these on for size...

File size for transfer rates to none broad band users.
    Separation of content files for store quing on one server and Documentation stored on a second server for user access.
    Worker time to add the Documentation to the content files and worker time to include the extra content into the installer equals extra cost. Someone must write the needed code even for DIM Zips.
    Cost of Cloud Service for added bandwidth of larger file transfers calculated on use bases of file transfers, if they exceed a set limit.
    and many I'm sure I can not think of....
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

...so what about doing like Rendo does and just have a link toe the Readme file on the product page instead? This way peple can view the Readme before they buy.

Product pages can also be accessed through one's Product Library as well. This would then eliminate the need to provide for downloading them with the content file.

edited December 1969

I'm just a fellow forum user, I have no clue. As a Ex-Store Manager of many years I can see things that relate to cost of running a company from afar and I just posted some ideas of what could be reasons, nothing more.

edited December 1969

...oh, it does make sense, particularly if it involves coding and bandwidth issues per download. I can see one issue with bundling a ..txt readme in a DIM installer as they would only clutter up the library/content folders with files that couldn't be opened in the application (this was an issue with some older content where readmes and template files were installed in the runtime/content trees by the .exe installers).

I know Daz has the 30 day return policy, however one only receives store credit, and for people like myself who are on fiendishly tight budgets, store credit is less valuable than cash in the hand. If one can make a well informed decision before making a purchase, that is to the advantage of both the customer and the company for it saves a lot of stress on both sides.

Placing a Readme link on a product page would actually be far more efficient and shouldn't be difficult to implement.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Placing a Readme link on a product page would actually be far more efficient and shouldn't be difficult to implement.
    I can just suggest that you send that in as a Feature Suggestion. I'm in the same boat as all users as far as readme's, content and returns go. I just have a Title and help run the User Forums. Nothing extra like a ear to the company that all users do not have. I send in Tickets too for my issues.
  • CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,
    I have created a FireFox Greasemonkey user script and Chrome plug-in that includes (among other DAZ store changes) a README link on all product pages.

Try it out!

I talk about it here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/42823/#629433

-- Morgan

edited December 1969

Cypherfox said:
    Greetings,
    I have created a FireFox Greasemonkey user script and Chrome plug-in that includes (among other DAZ store changes) a README link on all product pages.

Try it out!

I talk about it here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/42823/#629433

-- Morgan

you are a god among men. Using it in chrome - i'm LOVING my wishlist now (for the first time EVER) *grin*

although I may be blind, but i can't locate the "readme' link on product pages that it is supposed to do?

edited December 1969

Greetings,

jakiblue said:
    you are a god among men. Using it in chrome - i'm LOVING my wishlist now (for the first time EVER) *grin*

although I may be blind, but i can't locate the "readme' link on product pages that it is supposed to do?

Check under Tools | Extensions, and look for 'DAZ3D wishlist & item detail improvements'. Check the version number. If it's 1.0, then go back to the Chrome Web Store and update it. It took them a darned long time to publish my update to the extension. :)

-- Morgan

edited December 1969

Cypherfox said:
    Greetings,
    jakiblue said:

Check under Tools | Extensions, and look for 'DAZ3D wishlist & item detail improvements'. Check the version number. If it's 1.0, then go back to the Chrome Web Store and update it. It took them a darned long time to publish my update to the extension. :)

-- Morgan

I downloaded it from the chrome store about 2 minutes after I read your post. :D It's defintiely version 1.0, just double checked it then.

Does the link read "readme" or something liek that? Is it hidden a bit, at all?

edited December 1969

Greetings,

jakiblue said:
    I downloaded it from the chrome store about 2 minutes after I read your post. :D It's defintiely version 1.0, just double checked it then.

Sorry, I didn't explain... The current version is now 1.0.1, so if your version reads 1.0, then you should go update it, and that'll show the README link right next to the Wishlist icon.

-- Morgan

edited December 1969

Cypherfox said:
    Greetings,
    jakiblue said:

Sorry, I didn't explain... The current version is now 1.0.1, so if your version reads 1.0, then you should go update it, and that'll show the README link right next to the Wishlist icon.

-- Morgan

ah, i guess it probably helped if i restarted Chrome after downloading it? :D

I installed the chrome add on just after I saw you post about it a few moments ago....could see the changes in the Wishlist (THANK YOU), but not the "readme" link near the "wishlist" link. Then I uninstalled it, and redownloaded and installed it again. Still nothing...but I closed Chrome and then opened it again, and THERE it is. :D :D

edited December 1969

Just a heads up for DIM users a Right click on a file in the Installed section has the REAL on your PC File paths listed just like the Readmes file section. Just pick the option and boom there your stuff is in your PC.

Capture-001.png
    643 x 640 - 109K
    edited December 1969

yep, that's what i use when i have bought the item - but i also like to see the readme BEFORE i purchase it too

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,452
    edited June 2014

Kyoto Kid said:
    Herakleia said:
    Herakleia said:

my feelings exactly.

Perhaps the thinking is "Why use simple text when complex formatting is so much more cool?" It seems as if simplicity and clarity have become bad words. :-( It seems as if "Ooh shiny! and "Baffle 'em with bullpoo" are the modern watchwords.

The old UNIX gurus know where I'm coming from. Text was the fundamental basis of how UNIX tools worked. A good guru could take a simple text list of information and reprint it in different orders just by uttering a "Regular Expression" incantation. I've even translated computer languages from one to another using Regular Expressions. Text, just plain old standard 8-bit ASCII character text worked just fine until people wanted bold and italics and underlined and different sized fonts and pictures and colors. Now you need a couple kilobytes just to define a comma. Bah, humbug!!! Just give me a chisel and a cave wall and I'm happy.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on