Apollo Maximus - Conforming Clothes Not Working Properly

rsnrsn Posts: 42
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hi guys, the title pretty much says it...I'm just trying out the Apollo Maximus figure for the first time (I know, very late to the game with that figure, since I mainly stick with M4/V4). I like the character for a bit of diversity after doing so much with M4 but am having trouble with some of the conforming clothes. For example, the Roman Soldier outfit - if I scale and tweak it as a prop, it looks just fine, although I then have to manually adjust it any time I change the pose. However, if I conform it to Apollo, it gets all twisted up in the back and does not fit correctly. Things like sandals and skirts seem to be conforming with no problem, adjusting themselves to the figure perfectly well, but anything above the waist is giving me trouble.

If it helps, I'm using Poser Pro 2012. Is there any particular trick to conforming clothes for this figure? Does a certain body part on the outfit need to be selected or are there any details that I'm maybe missing? Suggestions from anyone who's successfully worked with this figure would really be appreciated!

Comments

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Is this the outfit available for Apollo and M4 at Rendo?

Are you certain you are applying the correct clothing to the correct figure? There should be two sets of clothing. One for M4 and one for Apollo. It sounds like you are applying the M4 version to Apollo.

If you parent clothing to a figure, you have to check follow bend of the parent for the clothing to follow the parent figure. Since the clothing is originally a figure, the universe is it's parent. You have select the clothing body and then change the parent from Universe to the body part you want to parent it to. Easiest way to do this is in the hierarchy window.

• rsnrsn Posts: 42
    edited December 1969

Yes, it's the correct figure. These are clothing sets specifically for Apollo, not other figures. Some are purchased products and some are freebies. I'm pretty much running into the same problem on all of them. They just aren't fitting right when conforming; that's why I was wondering if there's a particular way it needs to be done for that figure (certain body or clothing parts selected, for example) because it seems bizarre that Apollo-specific items would distort when conforming.

Here is an example from the Roman Gladiator set:

Shoulder armor when first loaded
    How it looks when conformed to Apollo
    And as a last resort, manually adjusted and parented instead

As far as parenting, I should have clarified - I know how to parent items, I'm not sure how to get the individual parts to follow specific body parts. Like the forearm, upper arm and chest should all ideally be following their respective body parts but as of now the entire thing is just parented to the chest, so I have to manually adjust it to get back on the arm after posing. It's not that hard but it is an unnecessary pain and I wish I understood why it's not just conforming as it should.

Unfortunately, I don't see an option to follow bends of the parent as you mentioned, either in the hierarchy or the armor properties. If I go to the properties for the body, I see only:

Include morphs when conforming
    Include scales when conforming
    Match end points when conforming
    Follow origins when conforming

Any suggestions?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,054
    edited December 1969

clothify it and tpose him first frame ending at 30 for final?

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,698
    edited December 1969

Don't T-pose Max to zero him: that's not his zero. He should load in about the same funky pose his clothing does: if not, go to his poses folder and zero him out before you put his clothes on him. If both figure and garment are zeroed at the start, there should not be an issue. (Unfortunately, there still is sometimes, which is one reason I don't use Maximus much: his posing and conforming issues go way back.)

edited April 2014

Sorry, I should have addressed that point. I tried that previously (loaded Apollo as-is, no changes, no t-pose, no morphs) and then loaded and conformed the same armor. It unfortunately made no difference; it was still distorted and scaled/fitted incorrectly "straight out of the box." Obviously other people have gotten this outfit to work though, so I'm not sure why that's happening :-\

*EDIT* - Problem solved. Someone told me that you have to check the "when conforming" boxes for match end points and Include morphs. Did it and it worked like a charm!

Post edited by rsn on
  • icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

If you haven't read the docs that come with Apollo Max, it's best to. Apollo has some rigging and other differences that other Poser figures don't have.

edited December 1969

Thanks for the tip; I'll do that. I'd just assumed it would be similar enough to DAZ Gen4 figures but clearly there are differences to learn about!

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,698
    edited December 1969

rsn said:
    Thanks for the tip; I'll do that. I'd just assumed it would be similar enough to DAZ Gen4 figures but clearly there are differences to learn about!

It's not broken, it's just got a black-diamonds slope for an uphill learning curve. Rather like my day job.
  • edited May 2014

I was just using Apollo Max in PP2014, and I had to dig deep in the recesses of my memory to recall how to use this figure. OK I remember.

Load Apollo. Load clothing. Do not conform the clothing to Apollo.

Apply body shape of Apollo from the Pose library (assuming you are not going to dial your own version). Now open up and look at the Hierarchy window. There are ADS_ScaleDials and ADS_BodyDials. Copy the settings for those to the same for the clothing items. Also, copy Apollo's body morph dial settings to the clothing dials. That takes care of his shape and getting the clothes to cover his body.

Now, pose Apollo. Yes, the clothes do not follow his pose. Do not fret. You use the same pose on his clothes. That should give you the final scene with clothes covering his body.

I am sorry, I can only give you the solution for Poser. And it is only for a still render.

Hope this helps.

Post edited by ibr_remote aka infinity10 on
  • JoeQuickJoeQuick Posts: 1,701
    edited May 2014

He worked natively, and without any extra hassle, in Poser up until the last couple of versions.

Post edited by JoeQuick on