Clothing Workflow Question

StarkdogStarkdog Posts: 162
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Ok, after a long time, I finally got DAZ Studio 4.6 to install, along with the many things I have purchased. Anyhow, I have this cool dress I want to make for the Genesis 2 Female family (V6, S6, G6, O6, Gia6, Josie, etc). I want to model the dress in Hexagon, and bring it into Poser Pro 2014, to run a cloth sim for draping and other effects. I'll then export as OBJ, and re-import into D|S, where I'll rig it accordingly. First, I want to export G2Female as an OBJ to model around in Hexagon, and also act as a "dummy" for cloth simulation in Poser. D|S has several export scale parameters to choose from, and I'm a bit confused. What do I select to maintain uniformity between D\S, Hexagon, and Poser?

Thanks, -David

Comments

• StarkdogStarkdog Posts: 162
    edited December 1969

So, as a test, here's what I did... First, in D|S, I exported G2F as an OBJ, but set at Poser scale selection. I then imported the OBJ into Poser Pro 2014. I found a dress I had made for V4 in Hexagon, and loaded into Poser. It was a somewhat close fit, but I did shrink the dress a bit, then scaled down G2F, and ran a 5-frame simulation, bringing her back to 100%, and the dress fit much nicer, but didn't do a full-scale drape. I then exported the re-fitted dress, reloaded G2F, and imported the fitted dress. I then ran a cloth sim, and the dress did drape, but it doesn't look too impressive in the zero pose. I did a quick render of the result in Poser Pro 2014, as seen below.

G2FTankdress1resized.png
    543 x 600 - 579K
  • StarkdogStarkdog Posts: 162
    edited December 1969

Here is a 3/4 front view. When I figure out the whole DSON thing, and can manage to import the G2F figure into Poser, I'll try to pose her into a more natural and interesting pose, and run a dynamic cloth simulation to really see how well the dress performs. I'll try to re-import the draped dress into D|S, and rig accordingly. I can't remember, but does D|S support ghost or dummy bones for dress/skirt posing?

Thanks, -David

G2FTankdress1sideresized.png
    438 x 600 - 431K
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,423
    edited December 1969

Yes, DS supports ghost bones. You may want to turn auto-normalisation off after setting up the conforming rigging weight maps and before going on to the ghost bones (in the Tool Settings pane with the node Weight Map Brush active).