Is there a simple tutorial for converting expressions to sliders for Genesis 1/2?

CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,767
edited December 1969 in The Commons

As the caption says. I've got dozens of expressions that are all over my runtimes and I'd really like to move them all to sliders so that they're all in one place. Short of individually moving them back and forth from Gen1 to 2 and back again using GenX, I know there must be a simple way to convert these, but DAZ's documentation doesn't seem to go there.

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,476
    edited December 1969

If you want them all together then set up a custom category. I don't know if there is a way to add them all to slider

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,479
    edited December 1969

You can use ERC freeze to create a master property that will set all of the others, if you wish, but it may be simpler just to save a Pose preset for each - having a property is mainly useful if you are wanting to use variable amounts for the expression.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,767
    edited December 1969

You can use ERC freeze to create a master property that will set all of the others, if you wish, but it may be simpler just to save a Pose preset for each - having a property is mainly useful if you are wanting to use variable amounts for the expression.

I want the variability, as what what works for A5 usually doesn't work for F5,, let alone Hitomi and Mavka. Using the Expression sliders from Smay and and SimonW makes a huge difference in my workflow, but there's nothing even close to those for G2F, let alone G2M.

Unfortunately, I'm finding that plodding through the documentation on using ERC is worse than reading a moebus strip. as it only talks about bones whereas expressions are morphs and the version Studio shown in the documentation center is obsolete, pre-dating the spit of the old figure setup tool. Of course, that's better than the "official" video, which is nearly 5 years old and for DS3. If anyone knows of a simple walk through for the current version of DS, that would really be helpful.

Meanwhile, I can't help but think that if GenX can transfer expressions from one figure to another and create a slider in the bargain, there's got to be a simple way to batch-convert pose presets to sliders.

edited December 1969

Set your compound expression, with everything else zeroed.

Put the Parameters pane in edit mode (Parameters pane option menu, or right-click in the Parameters area)

Right-click in the Parameters list (or in Property Hierarchy pane) and launch ERC Freeze.

At upper-right click Create New. Give it a name and label, click the drop-down button next to Path to pick the base location and then edit to add a new sub-folder if desired. Make any other changes (you may want different limits) and click Accept.

In Freeze properties check that all and only the morphs you want are checked.

Click Accept.

Your figure should appear unchanged, but now only the new property is set. Save as a morph asset if you want to make it available for all instances of the figure.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,767
    edited December 1969

Set your compound expression, with everything else zeroed.

Put the Parameters pane in edit mode (Parameters pane option menu, or right-click in the Parameters area)

Right-click in the Parameters list (or in Property Hierarchy pane) and launch ERC Freeze.

At upper-right click Create New. Give it a name and label, click the drop-down button next to Path to pick the base location and then edit to add a new sub-folder if desired. Make any other changes (you may want different limits) and click Accept.

In Freeze properties check that all and only the morphs you want are checked.

Click Accept.

Your figure should appear unchanged, but now only the new property is set. Save as a morph asset if you want to make it available for all instances of the figure.

Er... I'm clearly something missing something in those instructions. I don't see a selection anywhere to save as a morph asset, nor can I figure out where it's saving the changes to...

edited December 1969

File>Save as>Support Asset>Morph Asset. As long as you are using a TriAx figure such as Genesis.