Will Bryce 5 content work in Bryce 7.1

PianoManPianoMan Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

I am new to Byrce. I bought this Bryce 5.0 content thinking that it work in Bryce 7.1. However, I can't seem to make it work. Here is the link to the product: http://www.daz3d.com/bryce-5-0-content-pack.

The product icons do not show up in the create dialog box, so I have attempted to import it the obp files directly into custom category. When I do this one of two things occur: Either an error dialog box appears asking me to fill out a bug report or the mouse cursor spins not ever producing a result.

How can I use this content and get Bryce 7.1 to recognize it.

Showing a screen shot of the open dialog of my attempt to import.

OpenDialog.jpg
743 x 564 - 89K

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Extract the content to a temp folder, then import into your preset library

select it here (Image 1)

Click here (image 2)

browse to where you extracted the content (the temp folder) and look for the icons (Image 3)

you can make your own folder by clicking on the + sign (Image 4) and name it whatever you like

import_content_4.jpg
    672 x 406 - 118K
    import_content_3.jpg
    272 x 158 - 35K
    import_content_2.jpg
    670 x 416 - 124K
    import_content.jpg
    738 x 94 - 84K
  • PianoManPianoMan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

We attempted to import the obp files but Bryce crashes. See screen shot.

Fail.jpg
    997 x 653 - 247K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

@jaxsom - welcome to the Bryce forums. Yes, Bryce 5 content works with Bryce 7.1 BUT the libraries are not compatible. Up to Bryce 5.5, the objects libraries had 6 abreast, since Bryce 6.0 there are 10.

All content earlier than Bryce 6.0 must be converted. That means export it with a Bryce version lower than 6 and then import in Bryce 7.1, as chohole explains.

If the content you bought was just copied from an earlier version of Bryce, you can open the library but if you click on an object, Bryce crashes. That's what you experience. If you wish, you can send me your email address, I might be able to help. You find my email on top of my website (see sig).

• MCP211WMCP211W Posts: 42
    edited April 2014

My husband bought Bryce 7, then got the freebies from DAZ: Bryce 5.0 Content Pack, Bryce 5.5 Content Kit Vol.1, and Bryce Masters Series: Cloud City.
    We don't understand how to import them. You mentioned that the libraries aren't compatible...we don't have a lower version to export them into, etc.
    Since he has Bryce 7 are these things for 5.0 and 5.5 even relevant?
    You wrote, "Extract the content to a temp folder". We can't even get this far. We can't figure out how to get these things onto our computer at all. The error message reads: "Can't find required path. Installer for 5.0 Content Pack (and the other two) required that installed path for Bryce 7 Pro 7,6,5 be defined. Make sure that a path for this app is present on the Applications page of the settings dialog".
    How do we find this?? How do we create the path??
    Neither one of us has any experience with Bryce, so please keep this in mind when offering instructions!
    Thanks

Post edited by MCP211W on
    edited December 1969

@MCP211W - do not use the DAZ installer (DIM), it was made for Studio and doesn't properly work for Bryce. That's why no folder can be found. If you downloaded the DIM version, go back and download the ZIP version.

Create a temporary folder on your computer and un-zip what you've got into it. Keep the folder structure within the zip file when unpacking.

Some content needs to be copied into a particular folder under the Bryce main folder. This Document tells you where the individual files belong. Bryce can be installed anywhere on the computer, the default location is probably the worst choice.

The Master Series are Bryce files. Though they were made using a previous version, they can be opened in Bryce 7.1 without issues. These files (.br4, .br5, .br6, .br7) can be anywhere on your computer as long as you can find them. I recommend that you start Bryce 7.1 and open the file you want to work with. I'm not sure whether double-clicking works for you.

• akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124
    edited January 2019

I have similar problem. Any way to convert all obp while not having older Bryces?

I also somehow killed original user.obp, couldn't import anything into it anymore (but i could add new "folder" with + button and import there. fixed it with creating new empty thing and renamed it to user.)

Post edited by akmerlow on

akmerlow - generally, if you have the object presets (*.obp) from earlier Bryce versions, just copy the obp into a temporary folder (i.e. Presets\Objects\MyTest), then start Bryce 7.1, hit Create and locate MyTest and the library is there and most of the time the objects can be accessed and used. I just tried Rocks+Trees from Bryce 4. A good idea would be to Export the library now (select all objects: click on first, hold down Shift key and click on last, all selected get framed red) to the Desktop, then create the definite folder and Import the just exported obp.

Folder names can be created in the respective library with the Plus + or just by creating the folder the way you create any other folder on your computer. You have to navigate to the correct sub-sub folder, of course.

• S RayS Ray Posts: 398

I've tried importing OBPs from B4 (metacreation ) B5 ( Corel ) content CD, into the B7 Create library, crashed B7. So I copied the content into my B7 Presets/Object folder. Some objects work fine other crash B7 strait away. The sausage located in food & drink is one of them.

• akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124

Some old br4 scenes also tend to crash in B7 for me (from Bryce 5.0 content pack).

Not sure of reasons, but that reminds me something i've read from several people recently (Fire Angel, Steve Winter, from somebody else perhaps) - they were talking how bryce could handle much more complex scenes in 4-5, but in 6 and 7 their scenes are overkill (even with LAA).  sad