Online Short Animation Contest From The 48 Hour Film Folks

The 48x2 Animation Project

Are you an animator or always wanted to try animating. The 48 Hour Film Project has a competition specifically for you. You will have 4 days (from May 13 - 17, 2020) [the normal contest is two days] to create an animated short film. All types of animation are acceptable (including live action composited with animation).

2D and 3D
Clay-mation
Stop Motion
Machinima

Just like the regular 48HFP, you will receive your assignment (electronically): a genre, a character [name and occupation, male or female, e.g. Don or Donna Smith, an Uber Driver], a prop [e.g. book, taco, screwdriver] and a line of dialogue [e.g. "It's my first time.", "I can't hear you.", etc.] Your team will have 4 days to create a 2 - 5 minute animated film. [The normal contest is 4 to 7 minutes]  Each team will get their choice between two assigned genres.
Out of utmost caution during these difficult pandemic times, your team is limited to those people you live with and/or anyone you partner with remotely. Health and safety is paramount.

Registration Fees
$30 USD/team ends Wed, May 13
The winner of Best Film of the 48x2 Animation Project will receive a trophy at Filmapalooza and will be shown during our 48HFP screening at the Cannes Film Festival Short Film Corner 2021.

END QUOTE

The genres have not been listed yet, but usually there are two groups of about ten each, the first group fairly standard (drama, comedy, horror, etc.) and the second group more unusual (martial arts, generation gap, disaster).  You get one genre from each group and can pick either one, and can also mix genres as long as one of the assigned genres is included.  More here:

https://48hourfilm.com/animation

Comments

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226

I just finished our entry and got it uploaded along with all the release forms, etc.  We drew the Buddy and/or Horror genres, the character was an athlete (male or female), the line "I have good news and bad news" and the prop a flashlight.  Happily, combining genres is encouraged, so our entry is a Horror/Comedy, four minutes long.  One new contest feature was a way of getting a CheckSum for the finished movie without actually uploading the whole thing (took a few minutes), so you can then upload it the next day and the CheckSum verifies its the same video.  No extra time for making the video, but no desperate attempt to upload it at the deadline (a couple of hours).  Seemed to work fine for our 250MB video.

I'm happy with our entry, but with 50 worldwide teams, there's gonna be some knockouts, I think.

I don't know when I can upload the video, probably not until the judges are finished.  Maybe a trailer, but I don't see anything in the rules, so I asked them via email.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    Steve K said:

I just finished our entry and got it uploaded along with all the release forms, etc.  We drew the Buddy and/or Horror genres, the character was an athlete (male or female), the line "I have good news and bad news" and the prop a flashlight.  Happily, combining genres is encouraged, so our entry is a Horror/Comedy, four minutes long.  One new contest feature was a way of getting a CheckSum for the finished movie without actually uploading the whole thing (took a few minutes), so you can then upload it the next day and the CheckSum verifies its the same video.  No extra time for making the video, but no desperate attempt to upload it at the deadline (a couple of hours).  Seemed to work fine for our 250MB video.

I'm happy with our entry, but with 50 worldwide teams, there's gonna be some knockouts, I think.

I don't know when I can upload the video, probably not until the judges are finished.  Maybe a trailer, but I don't see anything in the rules, so I asked them via email.

Congratulations on finishing your entry.  I am looking forward to when we can see it.  Best of luck (or break a leg as the showbiz folks are supposed to say).

Turns out there are no restrictions on uploading since no concerns about ticket sales for an online contest.  So, here it is, "Circus Day", a four minute animation done in Carrara:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvV5YCww-4k&t=11s

• CbirdCbird Posts: 493

Wow, Steve! I can't imagine getting four minutes done that quickly. Do you sort the script out completely before starting, or does someone start setting up sets or characters while the story is still in progress? Just curious about the process. I thought you used an amazing number of characters. My bicycle may or may not have had a card clipped to it at one point :-)

edited May 2020
    Cbird said:

Wow, Steve! I can't imagine getting four minutes done that quickly. Do you sort the script out completely before starting, or does someone start setting up sets or characters while the story is still in progress? Just curious about the process. I thought you used an amazing number of characters. My bicycle may or may not have had a card clipped to it at one point :-)

Many thanks!  I got the great "CIRCUS - Sabatini" Poser format bundle ($24 with coupon!) early this year and have spent quite a bit of time playing with various pieces.  Five products included: Main Circus Tent & Accessories & Poses, Trucks (Tractors and Trailers) & Fancy Forklifts, Tractor & Detailed Caravans & Cages, Circus Restaurant, & Bonus with background & Full Scenes.  A lot of the characters I've used in earlier videos, especially K4 many times.  I've also been reading a lot about the circus (or just "Circus" as the circus folks call it), and watching videos like the PBS four hour documentary "The Circus", and also the great six hour PBS documentary "Circus" about the legendary modern Big Apple Circus (both stream free, links below).  Some of the crew in the latter literally ran away (from trouble in many cases) to join the circus, so that was my story.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/circus/

https://www.pbs.org/show/circus/

Post edited by Steve K on

48x2 Animation Project--our Finalists ... Today we announce our [eight] finalists for the inaugural 48x2 Animation Project

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgMcERvceOG0iuvS6kfzB7w

There are fifteen short animations so far on the Youtube site, apparenly they are slowly getting all 40+ videos posted for the Audience Award.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323

Bravo! Very cool, once again!