Dynamic sheets ignore floor and plane surfaces

JUJUJUJU Posts: 1,120
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I tried to drape a sheet on the floor but it falls through! I can drape it on a chair or something but if there is a plane surface like floor, plane or big cube.... it ingnores it and cuts through the surface....
Any ideas?

I updatet Studio and Dynamic panel but nothing changed....

:(

All I need is a big sheet that dropped to the floor....

Comments

• Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
    edited December 1969

I've noticed this as well. The easiest solution is to make a cube primative, position it so it's directly where you want the sheet to drap and make it invisible and have the sheet collide with that.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,604
    edited December 1969

The dynamic sheet and DS dynamics are a bit wonky and very inconsistent. What are you using for the floor? Try using a different mesh for the floor, usually works for me. Also make sure that under the collide with tab the floor is the only collision object.

• JUJUJUJU Posts: 1,120
    edited December 1969

I tried a cube but it falls through it too... :(
    I plan to freeze the simulation and save the dropped sheet as a prop but I need it on a floor or something like that....

edited December 1969

I tried a plane, a cube, a floor from a DM set...... I will try other floor props...

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

You need to create a plane that has enough density to interact with the dynamic item. If you create it with 1x1 divisions there's nothing for the sheet to collide with except the 4 corners.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,032
    edited December 1969

You need to create a plane that has enough density to interact with the dynamic item. If you create it with 1x1 divisions there's nothing for the sheet to collide with except the 4 corners.

So...subdivide the plane?
  • Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
    edited December 1969

Make sure you also only select the things you ABSOLUTELTY want your dynamics to collide with. I've found that in any kind of scene with a decent amount of objects if you select "everything" it'll just fall through everything. I've never had a problem with any dynamics colliding with the standard 1M primative cube.

• equinoxx5equinoxx5 Posts: 126
    edited December 1969

In short, your problem is mesh density. A default plane primitive is basically a single poly, and doesn't have enough vertices for the cloth engine to calculate collision against. Many sets also use low-poly planes for floors and walls.

When you create a plane for your dynamic cloth to interact with, give it a number of divisions (I generally will go anywhere in the 20-50 range). That should give it a sufficient density for the cloth engine to calculate collision.

edited December 1969

Thank you all. I found a bed for the sheet ;) It works with the mattress of the deco bed...
    with a plane with 50 devisions comes an error up while draping.....
    But I think with the bed I got something I can use ;)

• FistyFisty Posts: 3,416
    edited December 1969

If you also have a copy of Poser installed the high poly plane in the poser primitive props folder does a good job as a "floor" for draping, just make it invisible before you render, or apply a nice shader to it.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,604
    edited December 1969

Fisty said:
    If you also have a copy of Poser installed the high poly plane in the poser primitive props folder does a good job as a "floor" for draping, just make it invisible before you render, or apply a nice shader to it.

I do this often, works great.