Can you rig hair?

Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
edited December 1969 in The Commons

A few months ago I made a post raving about hair like "Terri hair" that have adjustment handles that you can move around using IK and wanting more of that style. I've never tried my own rigging, but would it be possible to add bones to conforming hair and emulate a similar effect? I love hair like Charm Hair and other long hair-styles, but I find that I rarely use them due to the difficulty of posing the hair well.

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,918
    edited December 1969

Yes you can rig hair. You just need to have groups set up. Depending on what you want it may be easier to do a morph

• DZ_jaredDZ_jared Posts: 1,316
    edited December 1969

The majority of hair being released these days is rigged. That means it conforms to the figure using DAZ Studio's 'Fit to' function.

However, not all hair has additional bones that allow you to control say the ponytail of a hair piece.

Like Frank said you can do this by adding additional bones and painting weights for those bones, or you can do it with a morph.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,051
    edited December 1969

I add childbones and rig hairs all the time for using with spring in iclone
    I paint with the weightbrush copying and pasting the rotation and scale for each added bone
    iclone does not support morphs except for facial animation but the spring bone fearure is realy cool, wish Daz had something like it.

• Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
    edited December 1969

I've never tried adding bones or doing /anything/ with weigh-maps so this should be fun.

• IgnisSerpentusIgnisSerpentus Posts: 2,487
    edited December 1969

You can rig anything, even a steel pole if u want. The key lies in what's realistically feasible.

As for hair, I actually prefer to rig it (versus prop style hair) because you can do JCM's to fix pokes and other things. But you can also control a fair amount in morphs as well.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,886
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    You just need to have groups set up.
    Only if your rigging for Poser, a TriAx rigged base figure (ie Genesis) only needs them for the "adjust rig to shape" function, and conformers have no need for them at all.