Disabling compression when saving files to browser

thoromyrthoromyr Posts: 452
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I've been experiencing issues with Carrara, one of which is files being corrupted on save. Now, it appears that at least some of the file corruption is coming from saving with compression so I would like to disable that. Great, I recently got a new hard drive and space isn't nearly as tight so I may be able to manage it there, but:

How does one disable compression when saving objects to the browser? When I save a scene I get a dialog that allows toggling file compression, but if I drag an object to the browser all I am prompted for is the name (and a comment). I can't find a setting in preferences to change the default.

Can compression be disabled when saving to the browser? If so, how?

Comments

• dot_batdot_bat Posts: 373
    edited December 1969

save first without compression, then move it to browser

• Mosk the ScribeMosk the Scribe Posts: 888
    edited December 1969

I've also run into problems when saving with compression. Is there a way to set Carrara up so the default is to save without compression (because when I'm doing things quickly, I sometimes forget to untick the box that says Compress File)

Thanks

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

I've also run into problems when saving with compression. Is there a way to set Carrara up so the default is to save without compression (because when I'm doing things quickly, I sometimes forget to untick the box that says Compress File)

Thanks

Once you re-open a saved file that has been saved without compression, it will remain that way until you select Save-As and change the setting. Carrara might even remember you decision from one save to the next, but the default for a scene that was already saved will always be what it was saved as originally, if that's any help.
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

So you could set up a scene preset.

edited December 1969

Hey Evil Producer and Dartanbeck -

Thanks for the great idea.
    Just checked under preferences>Keyboard Shortcuts>File - and you can set up a keyboard shortcut to Open Preset - so if you wanted to make that CTRL N you could automatically open that empty, non compressed preset each time (and make up some other shortcut for the standard new file)

Appreciate your help (was actually in the middle of reading the Terrains thread that the two of you have been active in).

I'm about to start a large animation project so will be posting a number of questions as I try to brush up on my Carrara skills and see if there are new and improved ways to do things - and have always appreciated the help you guys provide.

edited December 1969

So you could set up a scene preset.
    That's exactly what I do. I have a basic, empty scene with all of my render and scene settings the way I want my default, empty scenes to start as, then saved it the way I like to save. I always use that when starting a new scene. Then I have other preset starter scenes as well, like the way the EnvironKits work. For making products that need distributing, it only makes sense to compress them - so EnvironKits presets are all compressed. I have yet to run into an issue with compressing my saves.

Okay... I just tested it. Carrara does remember your last save options for the next save. However, if you've already saved the scene one way, it will offer that as the way to save it again during a Save As. So if you've already saved with compression and want to change it, you'll need to Save As and change it.

edited December 1969

To save a scene as a preset, do you have to save that in Program Files / DAZ 3D / Carrara 8.5 / Scenes / User Scenes?
    (or can you set it up so your scenes are saved in the document area?) Not a big deal , would just have to remember to transfer any presets next time there's a Carrara upgrade)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

If you don't want to save to one of the default directories, you should be able to set up a folder wherever you wish and then go to the Scene Browser and click the little black icon on the far top right of the Browser window and select, Add Folder.

edited December 1969

perfect - thanks

edited December 1969

I use this setup for my browser, and I love it. For my default scenes like this, I save those to the "My Documents > DAZ 3D > Carrara 8.5 > My Presets > My Objects" main folder, so they appear in the browser as soon as I go to the Objects tab.

• thoromyrthoromyr Posts: 452
    edited December 1969

thanks for the replies. Its a shame it can't be set as a global preference -- carrara has no concept of a template that I know of so you have to remember to do save as rather than save when opening an existing scene. Not ideal when your memory leaks worse than firefox and are often distracted.

Although I guess the even bigger shame is having to avoid file compression as it makes quite a bit of difference in size. Not sure what carrara is doing to mess up gzip'ing a file.