Can I switch trans maps?

UpiriumUpirium Posts: 705
edited April 2014 in The Commons

I bought these wings (Malaik) and as nice as they are, I'm very unsatisfied about one thing in particular. The primary color I use is black wings. But with the MAT for the black wings, the feathers are too...neat. They're not realistic enough. Idk how else to explain it.
Here's is the product:
http://www.runtimedna.com/The-Malaik-wings.html
As you can see, on the main image, the white ones have very clean edges but the orange ones are tattered (which is what I want). Additionally, the black ones have the same shape as the white ones.
There's a separate set of MAT files in the library; there are those that are black, white, ice; etc. The ones with the clean edges. Then a completely different folder full of the ones that are tattered, but they are not the colors I want.
I was wondering, if possible, if I could take the trans map from the colored wings and load them in the material room manually, by searching for the file, while the black ones are applied.
Would this cause an issue for the wings? I've looked into the folder and I do see a different set; one that's tattered and one that's not, belonging to their corresponding MATs. They're all in the same position and everything it seems, except one is tattered, as I said.
Would just loading the trans map work, or would I need to load the displacement map also? If this would even work.
edit:
I swear I keep forgetting this, but if it's not obvious by now, I'm using Poser.

Post edited by Upirium on

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,051
    edited December 1969

you can only load them in by browsing and try for yourself
    if it works save as a material file.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Two choices: as Wendy posted, load the Black wings. Open the advanced material room. Click on the node for the transmap. Browse for the the other transmap and change the default one to the tattered one. Render. Or, it that isn't tattered enough, take the transsmap into your image editor and use any of the tools to create tattered edges.

Or, you could load the other texture, go to the material room, click on the node with the actual texture map and browse to the black map.

The black wings may not look as tattered as you want them to with the existing transmaps because of the way Poser handles transparencies. I've seen this with very dark hair texture maps and tansmaps as well.

• ValandarValandar Posts: 1,417
    edited December 1969

If there's a specular componant, it might have the edges transmapped away as a nearly invisible 'shine'. If so, you also might want to use the other wings' specular map, as well.