What has happened here? ): (transmap)

UpiriumUpirium Posts: 705
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Okay so, I posted something similar last night but now I've got an issue. As I said before, I recently bought these wings.
http://www.runtimedna.com/The-Malaik-wings.html
I was unhappy with the black MAT because it didn't have any tattering in the feathers like the colored ones did.
I thought it was just as simple as going and grabbing the trans maps from the folder, replacing the non colored ones with the colored ones.
But that is not enough apparently, and I am a noob at Poser so I'm not surprised I hecked up somewhere. The issue isn't huge; I could probably take care of it in post work, but I don't want to every time.
The issue is, where the tattered areas are, it's now black and textureless. It's mostly on the ends but it makes the layered feathers look a little bit weird too.
I got everything from that folder that I could find though, displacement maps, trans maps, a map I'm not even sure wtf it is but I grabbed it. But I only saw places to put the transmap. I didn't know where to put the others. So I just put in the trans maps.
What I did was put on the black wings and then replaces their transmaps with the colored ones transmaps. So I only replaced things that were already there and I wasn't seeing a spot for these other maps...
Then again, I didn't venture into the ADVANCED tab of the Materials room, but I didn't think that was a place were maps were messed with.
Either way, I am attaching and image of some work I did with these wings last night, unaltered, and the ones I did with them today; altered. You will see a difference, I'm assuming.

wings40panties.png
1596 x 795 - 1M
wingtest500-Recovered.png
1142 x 788 - 1M

Comments

• ChangelingChickChangelingChick Posts: 3,145
    edited December 1969

iDiru said:
    Okay so, I posted something similar last night but now I've got an issue. As I said before, I recently bought these wings.
    I was unhappy with the black MAT because it didn't have any tattering in the feathers like the colored ones did.
    I thought it was just as simple as going and grabbing the trans maps from the folder, replacing the non colored ones with the colored ones.
    But that is not enough apparently, and I am a noob at Poser so I'm not surprised I hecked up somewhere. The issue isn't huge; I could probably take care of it in post work, but I don't want to every time.
    The issue is, where the tattered areas are, it's now black and textureless. It's mostly on the ends but it makes the layered feathers look a little bit weird too.
    I got everything from that folder that I could find though, displacement maps, trans maps, a map I'm not even sure wtf it is but I grabbed it. But I only saw places to put the transmap. I didn't know where to put the others. So I just put in the trans maps.
    What I did was put on the black wings and then replaces their transmaps with the colored ones transmaps. So I only replaced things that were already there and I wasn't seeing a spot for these other maps...
    Then again, I didn't venture into the ADVANCED tab of the Materials room, but I didn't think that was a place were maps were messed with.
    Either way, I am attaching and image of some work I did with these wings last night, unaltered, and the ones I did with them today; altered. You will see a difference, I'm assuming.

My guess is that your transparency settings have to be changed as well as the map. It might have transparency set to 0. Go into the advanced tab in the materials room (in Poser) and look at what the colored wing transparency settings are before you duplicate it with the black wings. In fact, instead of changing the black wings to have the other transparency, I'd set the color wings and switch out the image map for that. What you need to look at is Transparency, Transparency Edge and Transparency Falloff. Hope that helps.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Load the black wing texture that comes with the product. Open the advanced material room. Locate the node with the transparency map. Browse the folder with the wing textures in it and find the transparency map that is included with other texture you referred to in the other post. Change the black texture default transparency map to the other one.

As I posted before, than can be issue with both the dark texture and the transparency map. You may have to adjust specularity, highlights and edge transparency settings.

If you are rendering the underside of wings. Are these wings a single layer of feathers or a multiple layer of feathers? If there are more than one layer of feathers (the more layers the fuller the wings) make sure you are applying the transparency map to all the layers.

Other products such as dragons and other wings have very detailed texture maps for the top of the wing but less so for the underside. This could also be the case.

Have you tried to contact Arki over at RDNA? Your best bet would be to contact the vendor at the brokerage you purchased them from.

• UpiriumUpirium Posts: 705
    edited December 1969

iDiru said:

My guess is that your transparency settings have to be changed as well as the map. It might have transparency set to 0. Go into the advanced tab in the materials room (in Poser) and look at what the colored wing transparency settings are before you duplicate it with the black wings. In fact, instead of changing the black wings to have the other transparency, I'd set the color wings and switch out the image map for that. What you need to look at is Transparency, Transparency Edge and Transparency Falloff. Hope that helps.

I did what you said, and I'm still having the same problem ):

• FistyFisty Posts: 3,416
    edited December 1969

Have you tried loading the colored wings and just switching the diffuse map to the black texture? Then you won't have to mess with all the other settings..

edited December 1969

Fisty said:
    Have you tried loading the colored wings and just switching the diffuse map to the black texture? Then you won't have to mess with all the other settings..

Yeah, I did, but it did the same thing.
    edited December 1969

iDiru said:
    Fisty said:

My guess is that you picked the wrong black texture file to replace the colored one with. I just tried it, and don't have an issue. I can post the mat file for the wings (just the .mc6, it won't work without having the product installed with the textures in their default locations) if you still can't get it to work. Several of those feather images are very similar but different enough it can leave flat black gaps on the wings.

edited December 1969

One, make very certain you are applying the correct transparency map to all the parts of the wings. These wings are very full. They aren't just one single layer of feathers with texture applied.

Two, make sure you have a light source, even a very low one, illuminating the underside of the wings. Because you are using a dark texture, the details can get lost in even light shadow. This is often a problem with any type of wing.

Load the default black texture on the wings. The product comes with one and it is set up by the vendor. Change the bump map on that texture. On all the mat zones.

What type of lighting are you using?

Have you tried turning of AO on the wings? Not AO in the scene but turning off AO in the wing's material settings? AO in light color materials isn't always a problem but it can cause problems with dark materials.

edited December 1969

iDiru said:
    Fisty said:

My guess is that you picked the wrong black texture file to replace the colored one with. I just tried it, and don't have an issue. I can post the mat file for the wings (just the .mc6, it won't work without having the product installed with the textures in their default locations) if you still can't get it to work. Several of those feather images are very similar but different enough it can leave flat black gaps on the wings.
    No, I looked at them very carefully. I know when I have messed up because there will be a series of black lines over the preview image.
    I put them on the colored ones and they looked 'fine' before rendered (For some reason half the wings don't show up until you render them) but once rendered it was the same problem.

edited December 1969

Can you show a screenshot of both the material room settings you have for the wings after you make your changes and your render settings?

If I can match them, maybe I can get a better idea what's going on.

edited December 1969

Try this:
    Mat File