Is It Possible To Put Custom Structure On My Other Computer?

NovicaNovica Posts: 23,874
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I would like to be able to be rendering on one computer and working on my second computer, but I'm lost so far as what file does what. I'd like to have the exact same setup on both computers, either with or without the actual products in the files. (I can always add the products as I use them on the second computer.) I just don't want to redo the custom structure all over again.

Of course, I'd be most interested in transferring it with the products already there, but the structure is the main thing I'm after. Can this be done, and if so, how? Thanks.

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582
    edited December 1969

You mean categories that you've set up? Export User Data, then move your content over and Re-Import Metadata.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,874
    edited December 1969

Okay, I know how to export meta data, but here's where my tech ability goes DUH. What exactly do I select (files) to move my content over? And it would be a copy, not a move-I want to leave my files on my first computer. Right?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582
    edited December 1969

You'll want to copy the entire content folder e.g. "My DAZ 3D Library" or "My Library".

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,874
    edited December 1969

Thanks, I'll try it once I get more organized. :)

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

If the two are in a network you could use a Tool to synchronize your content directories on the rendering machine

The only problem may be with the CMS. I don't know how it would go if your CMS service is running and you try to update the database file. There is a chance that you have to shutdown the service on the rendering machine before updating the file . That way you wouldn't need to export/import metadatas

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited April 2014

As Richard stated just Copy the Content folder over, Install the DAZ Studio version your using to the PC. That install's the CMS for you. Then do the Re-Import. The Content folder will hold, in the content Support folder, the Exported User Data file and that creates the very same structure you have at the time you do the Export of the User Data on your first PC. Simple as can be.

To Keep Content as in new content in step on both machines takes more but that was not asked nor answered.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • Paula SandersPaula Sanders Posts: 321
    edited December 1969

If you have the same exact structure on both computers, just copy over the files and the categories will just show up. On my second computer, the name was different under user name so I just set up a user name identical to the one on my first computer. I didn't export and reimport I just copied the my library folder over. And it worked fine.