exporting displacement from daz to zbrush?

tomasballtomasball Posts: 81
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Is it possible to load genesis into zbrush, and then apply existing displacement maps to the face, limbs and torso? All I can manage is to apply a torso displacement map to all three polygroups, which obviously isn't what I want.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,449
    edited December 1969

Yes, but I think you will need to split the mesh into SubTools for each material group - and you will need to import the mesh from an OBJ, not use the GoZ plugin, with the ZBrush Preferences>ImportExport>Import set to load Mats and Polygroups and not to load the actual Polygroups from the OBJ. I thought it was possible to selectively apply a map to parts of a mesh, but I couldn't get it to work last time I tried.

• tomasballtomasball Posts: 81
    edited December 1969

If the mesh is split into subgroups, I can't sculpt as a unit, right? That would remove the point of the project.

edited December 1969

As I said, I'm sure there is a way to apply the maps to just masked areas, without splitting. Failing that, shouldn't it be possible to split, apply the relevant displacement map, and then merge the tools? Assuming the goal is to create displacement maps and not morphs that should be safe - I suspect it would, however, break vertex order so you wouldn't be able to load the base mesh as a morph.

edited December 1969

I tried splitting and merging, but that apparently destroys the uv map.

edited December 1969

Now I discovered the "keep uv map" button on the merge menu. But if I split the figure, apply different displacement maps to different subtools, and then merge the subtools, the resulting subtool only has one displacement map again. And I can't find a way to make masking accomplish anything.

edited December 1969

I think the desired work flow would be:

Split mesh
    Assign maps to displacement
    Apply displacement (bake it into the mesh, in other words)
    Merge SubTools
    Modify.
    Split to SubTools
    Create new displacement maps from subtools

edited December 1969

There's always something I'm leaving out. This time it was the "apply displacement" button. I'm able to do this without splitting now, just by isolating the polygroups. And I'm using GoZ. One thing I observe is that one needs to bring the figure up to the desired subdivisions before loading the displacement maps.

Thanks for your help.