How many G1/G2 figures can you fit in one scene?

thd777thd777 Posts: 933
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Interested to see what others have managed. This one is my personal record. 23 Genesis figures (plus 6 low res figures from Predatron). This image is part of my series of renders that illustrate life on a new outer world colony (see my DA gallery, link ij signature). I set up and rendered the scene in Vue 2014 Infinite. It is quite massive and used many models from the DAZ Store (Thanks to Stonemason, Dzfire, and Nightshift among others...). The Vue save file currently clocks in at 3.88 Gb and the scene uses ~19Gb of Ram during rendering. Fun times...
Ciao
TD

Colony-Downtown-3-small.jpg
2000 x 1125 - 546K

Comments

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,281
    edited December 1969

I managed 16 Genesis 1 figures here. I might have managed to add a few more, but by that point it was getting next to impossible to manipulate anything with the program lagging at every tweak.

It rendered without a hitch, though. (the background was a separate render.)

Carousel Horsies (all enacted by Daddy)

CarouselHorsies-web.jpg
    792 x 612 - 119K
  • starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,670
    edited April 2014

Warning: women in lingerie and skimpy outfits ahead. Click at your own risk.

I can fit one copy of Genesis in a scene. :lol: Click here for details: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/592270/

Two genesis figures if I am lucky: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/591566/

Edit: Hi thd777. Your nickname looks familiar. Welcome back. I haven't seen you post lately. Thanks for posting your nice render.

Edit 2: copyedit

Post edited by starionwolf on
  • Muon QuarkMuon Quark Posts: 561
    edited December 1969

7 G2F here in DS4.6 and the scene was lagging a bit. Might try a couple more.

fiend_display.jpg
    800 x 600 - 469K
  • CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,928
    edited December 1969

I generally have no problem running15 at a time (mixing G1 and the G2s) before I have to start hiding the unseen parts inside the clothes or it starts to get a little sluggish. Really, though, it comes down to how much else is in the scene,how much muscle your computer has and how you stage things.

• ValandarValandar Posts: 1,417
    edited December 1969

Don't forget that the more complex the clothing and background are, the more you're adding to the total scene. :D

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,580
    edited December 1969

This one has 8 with clothes and hair, about the most I can render with 8GB.

bero_vs_pereschi_13.jpg
    1542 x 795 - 1M
  • IgnisSerpentusIgnisSerpentus Posts: 2,487
    edited December 1969

I guess you mean one single file. I did this one, but its rendered in chunks

http://www.daz3d.com/galleryimage/image/16872/chaos_full.jpg

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,366
    edited December 1969

I rarely bother to try more than 4 possible 5 depending on clothing, hair and scenery, but the biggest scene I've done has over 80 figures in it including the birds, frog, cats etc.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/19223/P75
    post#87

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Just as a Test I have loaded 1 of every human Genesis1 morph character I own at once. That run into 36 Genesis figures at one time all textured and posed but no clothing, I was afraid of the Clothing collisions causing Viewport bog. As a render I can run 12 to 16 full figures with a set and light as standard. But as noted above the PC matters. I'm on a very power PC.

• lv426lv426 Posts: 42
    edited December 1969

I guess you mean one single file. I did this one, but its rendered in chunks

http://www.daz3d.com/galleryimage/image/16872/chaos_full.jpg

That's fantastic! I love the composition and the color.

• thd777thd777 Posts: 933
    edited December 1969

Thanks everyone! I was mostly looking for examples of "mass genesis deployment" not technical details. Obviously how much one can do depends on system and scene. My 32 GB of ram help a lot. And yes, I was mostly looking for all-in-one setups (Your rendered in chunks example is awesome though, IgnisSerpentus).
    Ciao
    TD

Here is one more of my multi Genesis ones:

Genesis-Shapes.jpg
    1600 x 730 - 287K
  • IgnisSerpentusIgnisSerpentus Posts: 2,487
    edited December 1969

Thanks, guys! :) Nice work on your renders as well

• Testing6790Testing6790 Posts: 1,091
    edited December 1969

I have over 100 custom characters made at this point. I wonder...

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,051
    edited April 2014

17 in DS
    not a very good render though as it was so hard to do anything I had to work in wireframe and got a few floating
    used all my RAM too

17_again.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • HarvellHarvell Posts: 37
    edited December 1969

For a lot of background characters, hide any covered parts, set Genesis/2 to base resolution with 0 subdivision, and if you have the money to spend on it, you can use Decimator.

• GallCommTVGallCommTV Posts: 239
    edited December 1969

thd777 said:
    Interested to see what others have managed. This one is my personal record. 23 Genesis figures (plus 6 low res figures from Predatron).

Just 12 from me so far. but some are K4, (which, I believe I read somewhere is a denser mesh than Genesis) and the others are K4 morphed Genesis figures. The Stage is a full prop (not background) and all the equipment, Amps, drums, mics and stands/booms are full props
    There's even extra (individual) guitars on a rack, plus a guitar case on the floor near the drum riser (stage left).
    Lighting is by two Distant lights, positioned extreme left and right of the scene and facing on-stage, each shadow enabled. There are some five spots positioned high-stage front, pointing at the kids, and Alan, the drummer has one overhead for himself.
    My machine isn't up to much power-wise, 8megs, and positioning the kids, and posing them in a way that seems (I hope) like they are having a good time and plenty of expressive bantering, took me a yonk! Every tiny adjustment required a looooong wait while the program did it's number crunching thing, ... and then moved the pose! But I love the result.

TVC_Juniors_Show_Band_16_Oct2013.jpg
    1742 x 889 - 1M
  • starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,670
    edited April 2014

Nice render GallComm. Geometry doesn't use much memory. Large textures do. I might be wrong. Watch the moderators correct me... lol. But my own tests reveal most props and clothes use textures 2,500 by 2,500 pixels or larger. Figures and some clothes use 4,096 x 4,096. I'm not sure about shadows or special effects though.

Clothes for Genesis do need to smooth against genesis. Smoothing clothes onto Genesis can be CPU intensive.

Harvell said:
    For a lot of background characters, hide any covered parts, set Genesis/2 to base resolution with 0 subdivision, and if you have the money to spend on it, you can use Decimator.

I should try Decmiator. I don't think it would help in my situation though. Thanks for reminding me about Decmiator and the base resolution.

Post edited by starionwolf on