Trouble with Libraries Poser Pro 2014

edited December 1969 in Poser Discussion

two problems:

one, I have 5 empty directories in my library and no way to delete them as in previous versions. How can I delete these libraries?

two, I have a pose set that, while it was sold for V5/M5, goes to my Studio files. But I cannot seem to load them or find them, even though I am pointed at the right directory. (this leads back to the deleting library question cause reloading isn't cutting it. I want to delete this library as well and reload it, but can't do either.

can anyone help?

Windows 7 64, but poser pro 2014 32bit. I have the DSON for 32 loaded and other things are loading fine

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,352
    edited April 2014

Select a library and hit the "-" tab unless they changed it

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • edited December 1969

there is no "-", that's my problem

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,352
    edited December 1969

You don't have two folders like this when you select a runtime from the drop down. They may have changed it for 2014 but don't see why they would've

MinusFolder.JPG
    294 x 574 - 23K
  • edited December 1969

No, I don't. And I don't understand why they would, either. But then I may have a problem with my copy if it's supposed to have one.

problem.jpg
    236 x 896 - 129K
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

You have to move up to the top level where you are showing the different Runtimes to be able to remove them.

• edited December 1969

Here are the snapshots of my libraries portion. Where am I supposed to click to get the delete option? The second pic is my right clicking on one of my directories.

whole.jpg
    230 x 958 - 87K
    cropped_copy.jpg
    264 x 932 - 119K
  • Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

You haven't chosen a specific library. In your screenshot, where you have Show Library , click the arrow to the left of and pick the library you wish to remove. The "-" folder should show up once you choose the library.

• edited April 2014

Tried that. Even when the says

empty_library.jpg
    236 x 939 - 67K
    Post edited by ladythornewood_952e046e39 on
  • Consumer573Consumer573 Posts: 282
    edited April 2014

I'm waiting for an easy response to your question, because I encountered the same problem and then solved it a brute force way.

A "Geek" way to do it is to manually edit a file called "LibraryPrefs.xml" I'm not enough of an expert to detail the steps, though I've done it myself. The first thing I do is make a copy of the file and store it away in another directory. Then I rename the file to "LibraryPrefs.xml.txt" and open it up as a text file. I did it by trial and error. Don't forget you have to change .txt back to .xml before you reboot.

What you will see is something that looks like this (this is from an old computer; the newer stuff is still the same; I just don't have access to it here):

<?xml version="1.0"?>
    <!-- LibraryPreferences. -->
    <!-- Created: Mon Nov 02 06:02:20 2009 -->

What you are seeing is the content folder pertaining to a runtime, and then the last settings within that runtime. If I remember correctly I took out a whole section when I wanted to remove a runtime and then just made sure that the indexes matched sequentially when i was done (Index=1, Index=2_ etc.). If it doesn't work right I just tried again, figuring I either took out one phrase too much or one too little. Poser will boot, but you won't see runtimes correctly if you make a mistake. I think it just shows a default empty runtime. If I wanted to put things back the way they were, I just put my original *.XML back in it's place.

It is important not to mess up your original XML otherwise then you will have problems. So until you have things working the way you want to, always copy it don't move it.

If you don't feel comfortable doing this and experimenting, don't, though it's really not that hard.

Maybe someone else out there can explain this better.

EDIT: in copying and pasting to this thread where there is only one backslash in the actual file (\); the copy/paste multiplied them (\\\\). The site must treat it as an active command character.

Post edited by Consumer573 on
    edited December 1969

Tried that. Even when the says

Is that the default library that's created during Poser install? If so, you can't delete it, which is why you have no option to do so.
  • edited December 1969

I'm probably in way over my head here so if I'm not getting what your saying . . . then I need a simpler version. :0)

I also use Poser Pro 2014 - love it. However, I ran into an issue when I wanted to purchase Canal Street. I tested the info from the help desk and found my textures off in some crazy side directory not ever associated with Poser. And at this point, I can't get any models, etc. that involve the DSON installer to show up in Poser . . . even with the directory set. Since I hate the way the different model packages are thrown everywhere in Poser - no logical order - I work primarily behind the scenes loading everything manually into my own structured system. The DSON installer has taken that to a whole new level . . . and not successfully!

So . . . that's how I got here to this forum. First, am I understanding correctly that you want to delete whole "libraries" from Poser? If yes, they are in the same place as always . . . I work with them behind the scenes all the time. If it's something else . . . something that DAZ has installed . . . that's a different place.

edited December 1969

Tristia said:
    I'm probably in way over my head here so if I'm not getting what your saying . . . then I need a simpler version. :0)

I also use Poser Pro 2014 - love it. However, I ran into an issue when I wanted to purchase Canal Street. I tested the info from the help desk and found my textures off in some crazy side directory not ever associated with Poser. And at this point, I can't get any models, etc. that involve the DSON installer to show up in Poser . . . even with the directory set. Since I hate the way the different model packages are thrown everywhere in Poser - no logical order - I work primarily behind the scenes loading everything manually into my own structured system. The DSON installer has taken that to a whole new level . . . and not successfully!

Canal Street is Daz Studio only. There are no Poser Content Files, which is why you found your content way off in some other directory.
  • edited December 1969

Yeah . . . I did realize that . . . but when I say I work behind the scenes, I really do . . . I also use Maya and import my own models (morph targets, etc.) into Poser. You don't really need Poser Content files. Canal Street is totally doable if you know how to work with it and have the patience. I opted for Le Village in the end (didn't buy Canal Street) only because it was set up for Poser (and easier). Obviously, I don't have the patience. :0D But the odd directory that I mentioned is the one off DAZ Library under User . . . Public Library - something like that (C root drive). It's the original one for DAZ Studio. I expected it to be stuffed inside the DAZ Studio program . . . not hanging out somewhere else. I've just worked with Poser for so long that I am used to that hierarchy.

When it comes to the DSON installer, however, the water starts to get too muddied . . . not fun. I have the installer pointed at Poser, etc., plugin in tact . . . and nothing. I'm not trying to hijack this forum so I'll keep looking for my answer somewhere else.

Thanks though . . .

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Poser 8 and above offers you several options when installing content. Where the main Poser runtime content resides is dependent upon what option you chose at installation.

The only folder that appear in the Poser library by default are the main runtime folder and the downloads folder.

Any other folders that appear below them are ones you would have to create. Poser does not create external runtime folders automatically.

Nearly all Poser content is still set up and packaged using the standard runtime library set up that has been around since the P3/P4 days.

Vendors will create their own folders that appear inside the figures, props, hair, pose, expression, ect folders but these folders will not appear outside the main runtime folder unless you manually point the Poser library at them.

The best way to handle DSON files and any related PCF's is to create an external runtime for the files and install them to that runtime.

To delete external runtime folders, go to the list at the top, select the folder you wish to delete. You should see a second folder with little guy on it only this one will have a minus sign on it. Click on it and the folder will be deleted. You may have to do this for each folder you wish to remove.

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,784
    edited December 1969

icprncss said:

To delete external runtime folders, go to the list at the top, select the folder you wish to delete. You should see a second folder with little guy on it only this one will have a minus sign on it. Click on it and the folder will be deleted. You may have to do this for each folder you wish to remove.

Keep in mind that this does not actually delete the content folder, but just removes it from the Library...

• icprncss said:

I found this a little confusing when I read it, and finally figured out what it meant. (Sorry for the thread necromancy, but this is literally the top answer to my Google search, so I figure it will be for others.)

To be precise, what you need to do to remove an external Runtime that you previously added in PP2014 is to go where it says Show Library, which should read All, but also have a down-pointing arrow next to it. Click that and choose the specific library/Runtime you want to remove. The window will change to show only the contents of THAT specific Runtime, but the folder with the little guy and the minus sign will also magically appear. Clicking it will remove the library in question. The Default and Downloads ones are not removable, as far as I can see. (Nor would I want to, to be honest.)

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,735

I'm having a similar issue... I did a search for anything Genesis with Poser DSON companion files and used DIM to install everything easily but that gets installed to my computer hard drive. Now I want to install all my Poser native files directly into a separate runtime on an external hard drive with my existing Poser content, (I reorganize later through the finder) but I don't  know how to direct the installation manager there... It always goes to the place it has chosen buried deep in my computer's (Mac) library in the My Daz Library folder. How do you choose where to install the content? I want it in an external hard drive runtime that is separate from Poser itself. Hope that makes sense! Thanks.

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,784
    edited March 2016

In DIM, click on the gear at top right, and select the Installation tab of the configuration window.  This will show a list of installation paths.  You can add additional ones by clicking on the + button at lower left. 

After adding paths and clicking the Accept button,. these paths can be selected in the Ready to Install tab in DIM if the Show Details box is ticked at the bottom.  Make sure Install after Download is unticked in the Ready to Download tab to ensure that you have the correct path selected...

Post edited by WandW on
  • Solved! Thank you so much Wonderland!!!!!

• dbaltesdbaltes Posts: 0

Is there a way to have two poser libraries? I want to set one up for a project without all the additonal runtimes.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718
    dbaltes said:

Is there a way to have two poser libraries? I want to set one up for a project without all the additonal runtimes.

Well, you can remove the current Runtimes and add a new one

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited May 2020

You could save your library prefs, remove the runtimes from you library and save that libraryprefs file too. That way you can exchange the two files whichever you need at the time.

C\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Poser (or Poser Pro)\

LibraryPrefs.xml

Post edited by Kerya on