Character/Texture in Ying Hua promos, and holing pigeons ;)

Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
edited April 2014 in The Commons

Anyone know what character/texture combo this may be? Thanks.

*Note to mods: the derailment is fine, don't delete it

01-ying-hua-hair-for-genesis-2-female-daz3d.jpg
1000 x 1300 - 365K
Post edited by Lissa_xyz on

Comments

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

I don't recognize her either and have been going nuts trying to figure it out. :D

I'll ask Ana over on FB who she used, in case she doesn't see this.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited April 2014

Thanks JB. I've been racking my brain and coming up empty. The morph looks like it's got some G6 (or maybe an A5 transfer?), and the texture seems to scream Surreality, but I could be way off on those.

edited December 1969

I had Surreality running through my brain too, but just can't place it. Asked her, so hopefully she'll let us know. :D

edited December 1969

My fingers are crossed!

edited December 1969

hmmm the eye makeup on her has me looking at this one adn seeing similarities....

http://www.daz3d.com/ingenue-bettina

and I suspect she used a G2 character as it's a G2 hair?? Possibly?

• JUJUJUJU Posts: 1,126
    edited December 1969

This has some similarities
    http://www.daz3d.com/ingenue-bettina

edited December 1969

I'm thinking you two are right with that skin. The freckles seem to be in the same spots.

• ArienArien Posts: 195
    edited April 2014

*waves* glad you liked. You guys are right, the texture is Ingenue Bettina; Surreality's characters for G2F are amazing, and I wanted something rendered in Poser so people would know how the hair works there. I loved that render so much I would have made it the main promo, but then we'd have DS users wondering whether it was for Genesis 2, as most G2 promos are rendered in Studio.

The character, I *think* is a combo of Yzande or Zillah, with Josie, maybe a touch of Aiko 5 or Girl 6. I honestly don't remember off the top of my head. I'm rendering promos right now for something else, but when they're done, I'll bring up Poser and see if I can give you the dial spins for it.

Post edited by Arien on
    edited December 1969

Wheeeeeee! I was right! LOL
    For some reason I have completely missed seeing Surreality,s G2F characters. I think cos I knew she could never get Ds to work on her computer so I didn't check anymore - regretfully cos I LOVE her stuff.
    I'm hoping to grab the hair tomorrow - if anyone here has done art using it, would love to see it!

edited December 1969

I know that the customers sometimes pigeonhole us... for Surreality, it's "doesn't support DS", for me, it's "doesn't model", for others it might be "doesn't do sci-fi" or whatever. Some of those labels are correct (e.g. I wouldn't balk at a label saying that I don't do characters, because it's true), but when they affect what we do, or credit we receive for work, or -worse still- sales, it does get frustrating... like that image I saw of a well-known vendor showing off an outfit of mine, with credit, and where everybody kept asking when *they* were going to release the outfit, and ignoring their answers saying that it was mine and it was already out.

It's a shame, because in Surreality's case, she's often been (unjustly, if you ask me) touted as "doesn't support DS" when she's been including support for it one way or another for years now.

Glad you like the hair!

edited December 1969

Thanks! In the wishlist she goes! (I've only just got into G2F recently, and your hair's already in my cart lol)

On the topic of pigeonholing..
    It's sad when I see people around here refusing to buy stuff because it doesn't directly support one program or the other, or when they don't already come with PoserCF. Textures will work in either program, regardless of what program it is meant for. All it takes is a little time by browsing to the texture folder, plugging them in manually, adjusting the surface settings if you wish (ie compensating for the diff in bump/disp maps and such), and then saving out a preset. I've used Parrotdolphin's textures plenty of times in DS just by doing it manually.

I will admit though that it was Surreality's products that got me into Poser, for options Poser has that DS simply cannot recreate unless someone writes an entire new shader (for example anything layered via Advanced Shaders). If someone got with Semidieu and found a way to support Advanced Shaders shaders in DS, they would be sitting on a gold mine. lol

edited December 1969

ok what I can see on my poser file is:

Aiko 4 Head 0.1
    Girl 6 Head 0.1
    Victoria 6 1
    Modern Muses Zillah 1

Zillah is available here
    http://www.daz3d.com/modern-muses-zillah-v6

The skin is Bettina, confirmed.

As for the pigeonholing, as a creator, I can say it is difficult. Sometimes people *do* work for a single program, because it's what works for them, or what they know and are proficient in (as opposed to dabblers). And sometimes it's difficult to incorporate support for a separate program, particularly on highly complex shader set-ups that cannot be replicated without a host of other support items or by learning a whole new shading language. Personally, Studio and I never *quite* got along: during the first few years it would refuse to run on my machine; version 3 was very stable and that's when I started doing full support and playing more, I even rigged all my modelled products in DS. The jump to 4 brought a new set of issues, and for some time *something* went bad enough that I was missing nearly all the rigging tools, and no amount of reinstalling fixed it (I found out later that there was a very sick HDD that corrupted the whole Windows install -on a separate drive- when it went; I had to do a full machine re-install from scratch including motherboard drivers; thankfully that fixed it !) which is why I've sort of been out of the production line... Mind you, Studio *still* does some weird things to me: as an example, I had to re-work and re-save all of the materials on this hair because *something* went wrong and the speculars were saved badly, and that something went SO badly wrong that the file I used to set up the materials opened fine but rendered G2F completely WHITE, and it wouldn't correct even after loading new textures. Just the other day I was setting up materials for an upcoming set, and the skin this time rendered blue, as if I had loaded normal maps instead of diffuse. So I *totally* understand when people say they won't deal with the particular quirks of a program, and sometimes it's not worth bringing someone else on board either, particularly if you do and then you see that people *still* say "that artist doesn't support DS, I won't buy from them until they do". I commend you for your attitude, and I really wish more people thought like that.

edited April 2014

No, no, no. I think what I said may have been misunderstood. I don't NOT buy Surreality's characters because she "doesn't support DS". That's not what I was saying. I own quite a few of her products - some have DS mats, and some don't. I apply the pz2 mats normally and fiddle with them, the same as I do with other stuff. I don't particularly worry if she supports DS or not, because I love her work and they can STILL work in DS. That's not a problem at all.

There ARE products that simply do not work in DS, due to using Poser nodes in the creation - I don't use Poser at all, so I don't know what that means, but I do know that they won't show at all when using them. Or when all the movement etc morphs are in a .pmd file, and that old inject pmd script for DS no longer works in the latest version of DS, so while the outfit MIGHT fit default V4, it contains no body morphs or movement morphs etc. I know of a couple of vendors who do that, so when I see their new stuff, I know they won't work correctly in DS so I don't buy them.

I don't pigeonhole - if a vendor who usually does modelling suddenly releases a texture set, my first thought is "cool!". When I saw the hair and saw it was "Arien", who is USUALLY associated with textures, my first thought was "awesome! Ana did a hair!! Let me check my bank account....".

When I wrote that other post I was in bed, typing on my iPad. I HATE typing on my iPad and am as brief as I can possibly be. What I WAS saying, was that for some reason, I had completely NOT seen any new characters by Surreality in the store for a while. I have no idea why. I don't recall seeing them in New Releases or anything - after searching her store last night, I threw quite a few ones I hadn't seen before in my wishlist. And because I had recently looked at a few of her things over at the Other Store, and they mentioned that the Semedieu (sp?) Poser shaders were required to use them, (which do not work in DS), I sighed regretfully, remembering she had said a few times that DS does NOT play nice on her machine, accepted it and moved on. I do NOT have any grudges or whatever that that happens to her. There are quite a few vendors who are Instant Buys for me because I am familiar with their work - if they suddenly release something that is very very different to what they normally do, I may take a few moments to read the description, the ReadMe if possible, but I buy anyway (if I like the product). And I HAVE taken a chance on buying a product that claims "not tested in DS" or "vendor does not support DS so can't help with any questions".

edit: and because I am still partly asleep, having only just woken up, I forgot to mention that Surreality is actually one of the few character creators whose work I am in awe of . She does NOT make another "Cookie Cutter" character, with 5 eyeshadow colours and 5 lipstick colours and that's it...she has a GAZILLION makeup choices, usually with various different types of "fantasy" type makeups as well. I am so tired of cookie cutter V4s...or Genesis, or Gen2F....I simply don't buy them because i have millions of them already. There has to be something different about a character for me to buy it nowadays..weird and wacky "makeup, interesting morphs etc. And Surreality does all that. I don't think I've EVER looked at a Surr character and gone "Sigh, how dull". I usually go "OMG what's my bank account balance??" and then check to make sure it's workable in DS...but like I said, for some reason I simply had not SEEN them being released! And for some reason, she had slipped off my radar...probably because I was aware she had problems with DS working for her.

Post edited by jakiblue on
    edited December 1969

Sorry, Jaki, I didn't mean that YOU didn't. I've seen your work often enough, I know you tweak everything anyway. I was speaking in general. Sorry if you thought I misunderstood you!

edited December 1969

Arien said:
    Sorry, Jaki, I didn't mean that YOU didn't. I've seen your work often enough, I know you tweak everything anyway. I was speaking in general. Sorry if you thought I misunderstood you!

Whew. I was panicking there for a bit. LOL. You KNOW I'm a huge fan of what you do, and I was all "OMG Ana hates me!!" *laughs*

edited December 1969

oh no, not at all. However, I mentioned the pigeonholding in general because it does happen. I've suffered it with outfits that were thought to be textures, and even now and then I hear that I might not support Studio because most of my renders -and nearly all of the best ones- are done in Poser. Sorry, I tried to bring it up as a valid but subtle discussion item and I ended being blunt and weird. My apologies!

But... you've got the char formula above. That HAS to count for something. ;) I might even use the same char as a base for the poser promos I am making for a certain outfit... MWAHAHAHA

edited December 1969

I'll admit, I've been one of the ones who over time have heard Arien (and others) and thought textures. It's for this reason I like when vendors name their texture sets "Name of Set FOR Name of Clothing Product". This clearly identifies it as a texture set and not a standalone product. I've seen plenty of sets from vendors with basic names and it isn't until I look at a read me/what's included/editorial/etc that I find out it's merely textures. I think yours, Arien, are mix and matched in naming conventions (at least here they are), which may be causing some of the confusion as to what of your products are full clothing sets, and what are just textures.

@Jaki.. DS actually can read PMD, but only in the event that it is linked to through a CR2 (Triax figures also can't use injection files the way Gen4 and previous can).
    Take a read through Bejaymac's post on HW3D to find out how to turn a PMD inject into a DS compatible CR2: http://hivewire3d.com/forum/showthread.php?511-PMD-to-DS

edited December 1969

it was also limited by the number of characters we could have in the previous store, and what we were working with... I've also noticed that when I included clay renders people DID pick they were models... so there's been a lot of issues to correct, which I am *hoping* I got right this time: the name includes "hair", it includes which figure it fits, there's front and back shots, clay render to make it obvious that it is a model... if customers don't "get" that it is a hair model this time, I think I need to seriously do a survey because I am running out of ideas LOL

Although to be honest with you, it hasn't even had to do with the product names or promos... I've read people in here suggesting that I did the textures for my hair models while Surreality did the modeling, despite the fact that I've never done hair textures commercially, and Surreality has LOADS. Or read that people assumed my model was done by someone else (e.g. Luthbel often gets credited for Mourning Sun because of the Night World label). I guess I'm just "lucky" that way. :)

edited December 1969

IMO you got it right on the money. You've got both DS and Poser renders (Poser renders should be included if PoserCF are imo), front/back/clay/etc. The only image I think that's missing is one displaying the color option icons for the hair/flowers.

Now if I could get the damn thing to download and show the PoserCF in DIM. LOL
    Only 1 file is showing and I keep getting download failed. >.<</p>

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,281
    edited December 1969

Good to see you in the store again. It's been a while.

• FistyFisty Posts: 3,416
    edited April 2014

Arien said:
    oh no, not at all. However, I mentioned the pigeonholding in general because it does happen. I've suffered it with outfits that were thought to be textures

Even I remember the boot snafu and I wasn't even involved... damn nice boots too, ever think of refitting those to G2F?

Post edited by Fisty on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,366
    edited December 1969

I pigeonhole venders not so much for what they do or do not create, but more for whether or not they support DS.
    I tweak stuff nearly all the time there's little I use out of the box but there are few (Surreality actually is one of them) who don't do DS mats and yes I'm aware that she's supporting DS more and more as are many others, that I will buy from.
    I know that some vendors have problems with DS, but when I see 'not tested in DS' or hear a vendor say 'I don't do DS' why should I support them. Getting a product tested in DS can't be that difficult. At least if you want the custom have the courtesy of finding a tester to find out how well or poorly it performs in DS so that you can say it loads etc but mats will need tweaking.

None of this is relevant to those in this thread though.

edited April 2014

I pigeonhole venders not so much for what they do or do not create, but more for whether or not they support DS.
    I tweak stuff nearly all the time there's little I use out of the box but there are few (Surreality actually is one of them) who don't do DS mats and yes I'm aware that she's supporting DS more and more as are many others, that I will buy from.
    I know that some vendors have problems with DS, but when I see 'not tested in DS' or hear a vendor say 'I don't do DS' why should I support them. Getting a product tested in DS can't be that difficult. At least if you want the custom have the courtesy of finding a tester to find out how well or poorly it performs in DS so that you can say it loads etc but mats will need tweaking.

Ah, but see, that's the thing... "Surreality doesn't do DS mats". There you go. Over here, I have to go all the way back to Modern Muses Fatima to find one of her sets that doesn't support Studio, which was over two years ago. And yet people still say "she doesn't support it", in the present. Every item since then has come with DS support, even characters for Gen 4. It isn't "she's doing it more and more" because there's no item in the store since then that doesn't come with it. She's doing it, period, but the perception that she doesn't remained, and while 100% of her work since has done it, it's still seen as an exception. That's the kind of pigeonholing I'm talking about.

There was a period a year or so before that where I and others did the support for her, but the end result was that people *still* claimed she didn't support it, and as a consequence, to be perfectly blunt, at least in my case, sales didn't support having me taking a slice of the sales to do them, particularly not where the sets are so big as in her case, and having the fights in the forums with third parties that claimed to know better and were trying to spread the idea that "there's no support because they weren't done right" (whatever that meant) because we had to use HSS to support all the options she was creating also wasn't worth it., and that somehow we had to miraculously create options out of the basic DS shader that was never designed to do what she was doing. Interestingly enough, I NEVER had an issue like that, despite the fact that my mats have, for the most part except for hair, NEVER been for the base DS shader and I always used either pwSurface, HSS or now UberShader. And even worse, at least in her case, she won't leave support to DAZ, because she's had someone at DAZ own support answering a request claiming that her morphs "didn't work in Studio" (they did) and were not supported on macs (she's a mac user).

Now in a more general manner, of course I do agree that you have the right to support vendors that support your software of choice. That's the wonders of the free market. Now getting products tested in other software isn't a question of difficultly, but often can be a balancing act that includes trust, and time. Those of us that had had products copied or leaked before release become uber-paranoid and might not want to deal with many people before release.

And finally, some vendors do think, with their numbers in hand, that the extra hours of work needed to develop to cater to whatever program, do not correlate with raise in sales, or with support hours we have to put in to account for different versions of software. If you consistently see a sale of 100 copies for Poser-only sets, and 102-105 of sets where there's DS support, but added one quarter of your development time to support those programs, you might want to think twice before doing it again.

I've dropped support for Poser 6 for this exact reason. Back when I released Jack of Hearts, I had a very long drawn support situation where I found out *some* version of Poser 5 or 6 which SmithMicro wasn't supporting anymore was having trouble with the 16 bits PNGs and TIFs I was including in my sets for displacement; I offered several different solutions, the customer refused every single one of them, including a link to JPG versions of the offending maps (because they were encrypted, I could NOT make them available openly to the public, as it would be equivalent to giving away a version of my product for free) and seemed to refuse to do even the most basic conversion/resizing of maps, blaming my maps for having "something wrong" on something as simple as having Photoshop throwing a size warning when using "save for web", which it always does. Overall, I spent nearly a full week with constant support, only to have the customer return my product claiming that I was not willing to support them... there's irony for you. So I started including jpg displacements within the textures directory and creating Poser 6 materials, just to cater to these users, even though neither program does really display displacement right when done with jpgs as there's not enough depth of colour. That created a host of issues with QA, having three different versions of the maps bloated my products, and it was a nightmare to track down issues, nevermind having to go "no, the stairstepping is a Poser issue with displacement using jpgs, there's nothing I can do to smooth them out" every time. And of course confused end users too who now didn't know whether to use the default materials or those in the Poser 6 folder. When I finally settled on handing those Poser 6 materials out separately from my website, I found out the downloads accounted for 1% of sales (and that doesn't account for people downloading for hoarding or because they want them "just in case", or because they've pirated the original product and want the extra), but created about 80% of the issues with packaging and QA and nearly all of the delays. So I exchanged it with a note in the readme on how to sort out the issue, and to contact me if there were questions or issues, because, while I do try to support as many people as possible, it was just creating more hassle than it was solving. I haven't had a single Poser 6 user contacting me about it, so dropping support was the right thing to do. I'm not saying that might be the case for all vendors out there, but I wanted to give an idea of how those decisions are taken, the thought process behind them, and why it's not just a capricious whim.

But as you said, it's not relevant to the original post either.

Post edited by Arien on
    edited December 1969

Fisty said:
    Arien said:
    oh no, not at all. However, I mentioned the pigeonholding in general because it does happen. I've suffered it with outfits that were thought to be textures

Even I remember the boot snafu and I wasn't even involved... damn nice boots too, ever think of refitting those to G2F?

Yeah, that was such a disappointment... it was even worse to see those used by a very popular vendor, who was promoting them as my product, and have everybody commenting on how cool they looked and when she was planning to release them, and whether I would be doing the textures *headdesk*. I am willing to take responsibility for not having been too clear on the promos or the product name, but seeing my work constantly attributed to someone else and people blanking over "Arien modeled these" does sting a bit, I won't lie.

Those might come back for G2F but not as a pack of 3 shoes, but as part of a full outfit. I was supposed to start modelling it immediately afterwards, seeing what happened to the boots made me double-guess myself, so it's been waiting on the back burner for a while, but it might not come for a few months yet... there's a lot more that is in the queue right now!

edited April 2014

I created the thread and I'm perfectly fine w/ the derailment as the question has already been answered on page 1.

I updated the topic title. lol

edited December 1969

hmmm bit of an oddity. Picked up the hair, but everytime I go to download it via the DIM, it tells me "download failed!". I'm downloading other stuff via the DIM so it doesn't seem to be a DIM problem...anyone else experiencing htis?

edited December 1969

jakiblue said:
    hmmm bit of an oddity. Picked up the hair, but everytime I go to download it via the DIM, it tells me "download failed!". I'm downloading other stuff via the DIM so it doesn't seem to be a DIM problem...anyone else experiencing htis?

Yep. Manual download from your product library should work fine. From there, copy the DS zip into your DIM download directory and install via DIM as normal (if DIM is open, use the refresh button).

DIM refuses to recognize the PoserCF zip though.

edited December 1969

all sorted now!