Will Genesis 1 remain supported?

Ashfire45Ashfire45 Posts: 126
edited December 1969 in The Commons

After almost two or so years of a dear friend (also one I introduced to Daz) convincing me to hop onto Genesis, when I was so very insistent on sticking to Gen 4, I finally made the switch, and remorphed my favorite girl from scratch onto Genesis 1 - Genx wouldn't work because there was quite a bit of Zbrush put into her. I've only been on Genesis since early this month, and I'm so excited to be onto a new technology! The autofit, the gorgeous bends, the body definition, the muscles, and the unlimited seeming customization that I haven't even touched on is incredibly exciting. I'm like a little girl with a new toy!

....But should I have started out on Genesis 2? I feel it would have been harder to create my very anime-based character on the Genesis 2 female with its limited morphs, so starting on Genesis 1 seemed like the best option - Aiko 5 was my base.

I'm concerned, however, that I've jumped on the bandwagon too late? Please tell me that Daz plans to continue to support Genesis 1? Because as I look in the store, all I see are things solely for Genesis 2. I realize that it's an advancement in the technology, but its hardly made Genesis 1 extinct, has it?

I hope I don't sound unreasonable or ignorant here, but as someone whose work revolves around 98% of rendering the one heavily customized character, I'm frustrated that I might have to remorph my girl all over again for Genesis 2 when I've only just discovered her on Genesis 1. =\ I have the Genesis 2 clone for Genesis, which I'm very grateful Daz did, but it means I'm relying on autofit more. Why can't content creators create their pieces for both Genesis 1 and 2? More work, undoubtedly, but there is still a market for 1, from people who crave that versatility!

So my question is, is Genesis 1 a thing of the past already?

Comments

• RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,868
    edited December 1969

I still make creatures on gen1

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,314
    edited December 1969

You can get the Genesis 2 Female and Male clones for Genesis.

http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-2-female-clone-for-genesis

http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-2-male-clone-for-genesis

Having these will allow you to fit Genesis 2 clothing to Genesis, giving you more options for Genesis characters to wear.

• XoechZXoechZ Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

Sure. Even V4 is still supported.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,928
    edited December 1969

Genesis and the G2s both have their advantages. Genesis is more versatile, but G2F and G2M are generally considered to be easier for PAs to create new products for, so you'll see the majority of new product coming out being aimed at them. It doesn't really matter, though, since with Genx2 and the AIko5 shape for G2F you can roll your character over to G2F in about three minutes... assuming that skin texture that you used is a UV set that G2 supports or you have the after-market products to adapt them. The good thing about working in the DAZ/Poserverse is that the majority of creators were customers first, so whenever DAZ leaves a ball lying on the field, there's bound to be a PA that picks it up and runs with it.

• Ashfire45Ashfire45 Posts: 126
    edited December 1969

You're very right, Cybersox, but unfortunately I've always had trouble transferring this one character over to Genesis. From A4 to Genesis, there were problems, and transferring from Genesis to Genesis 2 Female, there were even worse ones! This is the result I get each and every time....http://s230.photobucket.com/user/Ashfire45/media/Ummm_zpsfadb632c.jpg.html?sort=3&o=6 I've tried a variety of things, and tried a variety of shapes on Genesis 2 Female when I dial her up (Aiko 5, or the Genesis shape, or the Genesis Female shape...) but it's all a no-go, unfortunately.

At any rate, with the Genesis 2 Female clone, it looks like I'm missing out on nothing - at least hair/clothes wise!!! Excellent!!!! :B

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

Do you have the Gen 4 shapes for Genesis? http://www.daz3d.com/gen-4-iconic-shapes-for-genesis
    You might also want to look at adding Hitomi (http://www.daz3d.com/hitomi-3d-anime-girl-for-genesis) to your genesis genepool
    Another character to consider adding is Amber for Aiko 5 : http://www.daz3d.com/amber-for-aiko-5

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,957
    edited April 2014

I have quite a few custom Zbrushed chars that I made for G1 that easilly port over towards my G2 Char (Plus every morph from G1 Including 3rd party morphs) Not only can I use a V4 with flexion morphs for my G2, but I can also convert all of V3-5 clothing as well!

OOPS! Sorry, wrong Genesis...Thought it was G2 thread!

Post edited by takezo_3001 on
  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited April 2014

I don't think you need to worry about Genesis 1 fading away. I've noticed a lot of vendors are creating packs for both V4 and Genesis 1 (and sometimes Genesis 2 Female). I don't recall off-hand if that's true with M4 and Genesis 1/Genesis 2 Male, because less is created for the guys than the gals, but I'm sure that will be the case for those vendors who like to create guy stuff.

Post edited by Miss B on
  • FistyFisty Posts: 3,416
    edited December 1969

Ashfire45 said:
    Why can't content creators create their pieces for both Genesis 1 and 2? More work, undoubtedly, but there is still a market for 1, from people who crave that versatility!

It's not just more work, it's a TON more work, to the point of not being financially worthwhile, like better off flipping burgers more work.

That being said, if you want to try converting your character from Gen1 to Gen2 you will get much better results than you did from V4 to Gen1 as the base meshes are much more similar.

edited December 1969

I should point out, that is my cut off on if I will bother with a product, if I don't think I can make $5 an hour back on my time I won't do it. Even that is very low, but I'll do it if it's something I really want to make and feel strongly about. I don't feel strongly about Genesis1, I much prefer Genesis 2 as a figure. I would need to be making something decidedly unisex to want to downgrade, even then I would probably do a G2F and G2M version rather than a Gen1 version. But I primarily make clothing, if I was into making characters/creatures it would be a different story as I think Gen1 is definitely the better platform for creatures.

edited December 1969

Genesis and the G2s both have their advantages. Genesis is more versatile, but G2F and G2M are generally considered to be easier for PAs to create new products for, so you'll see the majority of new product coming out being aimed at them.

Are their technical reasons why it's easier for PA's to create new products for G2s? Or is it because they are gendered?

edited December 1969

The big reason is the gender, the secondary reason is the number of character morphs that need to be included if you want to do it right. G2F is quickly catching up, but it's still a matter of the evolution full body morphs plus currently 8 named characters vs the generic body morphs plus like 20 or so if you do both genders for Gen1.. and I'm the kind of person that will put M5 and H5 morphs in a dress.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722
    edited December 1969

Ashfire45 said:
    . Why can't content creators create their pieces for both Genesis 1 and 2? More work, undoubtedly, but there is still a market for 1, from people who crave that versatility!

So you are saying that if the package was put out that included options for genesis 1 AND genesis 2 you would have no problem paying double the price since that would be the logical way to get a return on the investment of making it work for both figures.

Personally i wouldn't, simple because it's possible to make it work with the clones, autofit and such. If I have a choice I usually go with the V4 version since I can get it to work on genesis 1 and GF2. Without the V4 choice, Genesis 1 would be next for better backward compatibility. I am a huge genesis 1 fan, but find that with GenX I am using GF2 more and more.

• Ashfire45Ashfire45 Posts: 126
    edited December 1969

So you are saying that if the package was put out that included options for genesis 1 AND genesis 2 you would have no problem paying double the price since that would be the logical way to get a return on the investment of making it work for both figures. .

....xD! Very excellent point, I had neglected to look at it from that point of view, or understand just how much work it would be! So yes, it's likely for the better that vendors don't waste their time doing both, especially with the Genesis 2 clones for Genesis 1. x3

As someone brand spanking new to Genesis...What's the bloody secret to autofitting V4 shoes? X.X I've tried every tutorial out there, I have Sickle Yield's rigging, but I always end up with distorted, sometimes very unusable shoes. With my gigantic V4 library, it's rather frustrating! x3

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

Ashfire45 said:

As someone brand spanking new to Genesis...What's the bloody secret to autofitting V4 shoes? X.X I've tried every tutorial out there, I have Sickle Yield's rigging, but I always end up with distorted, sometimes very unusable shoes. With my gigantic V4 library, it's rather frustrating! x3

The secret is buying shoes made for genesis. Unfortuately shoes aren't made in a single standard way, so they will never fit properly unless you're using an external modeling tool and posing V4 in the shape of genesis. Shoes with no heel have a better chance of converting properly if you pose them in the same flat foot pose as genesis and export the obj then reimport them.

Genesis 2's clone works a little better with heels, but since I use mostly the Genesis 2 male, i don't have a method for the female. I do know not everything will convert properly and you will probably be better off investing in the figure with clothes rather than convert items that may end up mangled.

I will suggest however if you're going to invest, go with Genesis 2, it's been out for close to a year now and the adoption rate is much higher than Genesis 1, so you're honestly missed the wave on Genesis 1 as far as content being made. My sales with genesis 2 is way higher than 1 so much that unless it's absolutely needed, I've ended support on Genesis 1. And you'e seeing this happen with other PAs due to the items available in the store as well. Even in other stores, the sets are becoming V4/Genesis 2 rather than V4/Genesis. Unless you're making creatures, you're getting the same versatility as with Genesis 1 with the new figure; I think the fact that the figures are separated is what is confusing a lot of people.

• MADMANMIKEMADMANMIKE Posts: 407
    edited December 1969

Don't worry, I still haven't bought everything out there for Gen3 and Gen4. Genesis1 is almost exclusively my primary figure now (still using M2 for a piece here and there for lack of Genesis fit morphs), but vast majority of my runtime is filled with Gen3 items.

Genesis1 is far more flexible a figure than G2, I suspect the vendors will continue supporting it for some time.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

RawArt said:
    I still make creatures on gen1
    That is why I like Gen 1 still. If I want to do a human study I will use Gen 2. Anything non human I prefer Gen 1 all the way.
    edited December 1969

Fisty said:
    The big reason is the gender, the secondary reason is the number of character morphs that need to be included if you want to do it right. G2F is quickly catching up, but it's still a matter of the evolution full body morphs plus currently 8 named characters vs the generic body morphs plus like 20 or so if you do both genders for Gen1.. and I'm the kind of person that will put M5 and H5 morphs in a dress.

It nice you do that, but I don't know why anyone would feel their hands are tied on a Genesis product when it comes to gender. There was the male and female base morph, then all the 5 series gendered characters. Did that many users demand all clothing sold for a G5 figure work without hitch. on both genders?

G2F and G2M are still the same model, just marketed separately.

• LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

I still use the Gen 4 figures. I use Genesis 1 if I absolutely have to. Never even bothered with Genesis 2. DSON is so hit or miss as to if it is actually going to work that if a product requires DSON to use it in Poser I generally skip it.

I do however love the Poser Unimesh feature in Poser Pro 2014, as well as being able to copy morphs from a figure into the clothing and props. I don't care if the vendors have included morphs in the clothes or not, i can put them there with one click. Those features, plus the morph tool and I can still do amazing stuff with the Gen 4s

edited April 2014

TimG said:
    Did that many users demand all clothing sold for a G5 figure work without hitch. on both genders?

Do you read the forums here? People complain about everything. :)

In the end, this all comes down to how many units are likely to be sold versus how many person-hours are put into the creation of the product, and the only people who have the info to make a qualified judgement on that are DAZ and the artists who actually create the product. ANd given that we're seeing a number of artists who held back on Genesis leaping into the G2 pool at the two major format-agnostic content sites, it's pretty evident that the numbers work out better this way even when you're on a site that's not actively trying to sell their new tech.

Post edited by Cybersox on
    edited December 1969

TimG said:
    Did that many users demand all clothing sold for a G5 figure work without hitch. on both genders?

Do you read the forums here? People complain about everything. :)

In the end, this all comes down to how many units are likely to be sold versus how many person-hours are put into the creation of the product, and the only people who have the info to make a qualified judgement on that are DAZ and the artists who actually create the product. ANd given that we're seeing a number of artists who held back on Genesis leaping into the G2 pool at the two major format-agnostic content sites, it's pretty evident that the numbers work out better this way even when you're on a site that's not actively trying to sell their new tech.

I do think V6 is a prettier model than V5, I can see where many PA's would be more inspired to make items for her.

edited December 1969

I still use the Gen 4 figures. I use Genesis 1 if I absolutely have to. Never even bothered with Genesis 2. DSON is so hit or miss as to if it is actually going to work that if a product requires DSON to use it in Poser I generally skip it.

And no thread on Genesis would be complete without this kind of post. 8-/

For what it's worth, it's generally agreed that the G2s work far better in poser with DSON than Genesis 1 did. Which is only to be expected given that they came out after a lot of practical experience had been gained on the actual implementation of a product that was a huge step forward in technology compared to what came before it. After all, it took three different iterations of V4 before DAZ finally nailed the current version of Gen 4 tech, and the amount of time it took to get there was comparable to what it's taken since the first Genesis to now.

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,670
    edited December 1969

I still use Generation 2. I just haven't uploaded many renders of Victoria 2 or Stephanie 2 into my online galleries.