Sci Fi Funk Episode 10 preview thread.

Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,198
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

He's back!

Yes Steve Malore is ready to resume his nightmare introduction to the future of London 2064ad.

We are about to enter Ganzill Towers. Just starting the animation now after completing modelling at the end of last week.

Expect the unexpected...

Pic in Carrara with DOF applied in After Effects. I overdid it a bit to obscure the detail of the Entrance. More pics and tutorials to come.

SF10_teaser_1_Hes_Back_FINAL_00000.jpg
1920 x 1080 - 673K

Comments

• Analog-X64Analog-X64 Posts: 110
    edited December 1969

Awesome :) looking forward seeing the end result.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Sweet! Can't wait for more!!! :ahhh:

• Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,198
    edited December 1969

Thanks guys

Racing through a rough cut animation atm - completed 35 seconds on day 1 !!

edited December 1969

After lots of delays in moving up from Carrara native renderer to the Octane plug in we are (finally) back on episode 10.

Now I can achieve that Dark Knight, dark foreboding look, that I was struggling with in Episode 8.

WIP but coming along. Nb. One image, so no layers, no post etc. Render time about 1 min.

Ganzill_Towers_sign.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 173K
  • argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
    edited December 1969

The last image is awesome, even though a little dark for me. But even before Octane, you could do awesome images. However, the rendering time worries me. 1 minute per frame.... that means 5 hours for a 10 seconds clip. And I believe you got 2 video cards, one of them an nVidia GTX 780. That seems a long time.

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

5 hours for a clip of 10 second, it's not to much in animation…
    I await continuation impatiently SFF !

• argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
    edited October 2014

5 hours for a clip of 10 second, it's not to much in animation…

Granted, it's not that much in the absolute. But on their site, Octane is bragging that their renderer is considerably faster than Carrara's native renderer,or any other native renderer. That doesn't seem to be the case here, especially if you have 2 video cards .

EDIT: It all depends on the resolution you rendering at, I guess. I didn't consider that. Maybe Octane is not slower, after allm maybe a little faster

Post edited by argus1000 on
    edited December 1969

Hi guys and thanks for your interest.

re: render time. The problem with the Sci Fi Funk series is that it's mainly at night, mainly indoors and mainly multiple lights per scene. All this slows down render times a lot. Add in Octane materials which will react to light and the scene can slow even more.

However. The Octane plug in is much more scalable than Carrara via networking imho. Although it will cost you more.

To get those "near instant" renders requires a few items with a few Octane materials on a sunny day (or to be precise just daylight). Perhaps it will encourage you to know that if I JUST lit the above scene with the night light (no artificial lighting) then the render is near instant. i.e. considerably faster than Carrara.

It's a different animal Octane and has it's own learning curve. The results though are nearly always better imho, even with the Direct lighting kernel that us poor independents have to use (for faster renders) - this is due to how objects and materials react to light. It might not be true GI on the direct kernel but it's pretty darn good and finding the crevasses etc.

re: too dark. I'm always debating this with other artists. It is of course taste. Personally I see movies with whole sections of the image that are black so that the items lit up really shine out. Also I'm semi-treading where the comics go. This for me is the ideal dark. Once we get in the building it lights up.

edited December 1969

New three point lighting set up for 10% size characters using the Octane plugin.

This one is tricky as you can get banding on the image. From what I can make out you whack down the ray epsilon to 1E-11 and make your single polygon (like a plane but created from a model) invisible.

Trouble is I haven't figure out why sometimes you get banding on the figure (as the camera "shines" through the invisible plane/model acting as an area light), and sometimes you don't

Turning the plane/model acting as an area light off and on again seems to help. Scratching around here but the result is good. Trouble is I'm think I may have to render this as 2 passes figure then background due to slowness when too many emitters are in the scene.

Steve_no_Banding.png
    1920 x 1080 - 399K
    edited December 1969

Carrara scene, Octane Rendering.

Just outside Gansill Towers ground Floor lobby, at night, but lit up outside somewhat.

SH1d_GHT_Doors_open0024.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Inside the Car Park shot. Octane Render, Carrara scene.

Latest estimate for release is mid Dec 2014.

SH34c_Close_up_ON0042.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 200K
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited December 1969

Very impressive.... thanks for sharing. Can't wait for new revised episodes!

Visit the Carrara Serenity thread and post your kit... am really curious as to your studio setup.

:) Silene

edited December 1969

SileneUK said:
    Very impressive.... thanks for sharing. Can't wait for new revised episodes!

Visit the Carrara Serenity thread and post your kit... am really curious as to your studio setup.

:) Silene

Ditto! ;)
    edited December 1969

New three point lighting set up for 10% size characters using the Octane plugin.
    ~snip~

Man, I love his look in this shot! His hair and beard... just awesome!
    edited December 1969

Thank you friends. I'll head over to the Serenity thread...

edited December 1969

I've completed the animation.

The COUNTDOWN to it's release begins!

43 elements left to work on. 23 sound f/x and music, 6 visual f/x and 14 renders.

The renders are going to push the 30th November estimate to the wire, but let's see how we do. Either way baring some kind of epic disaster we'll move the story forward before Christmas. :D