Clothing creation legality

Zachary JamesZachary James Posts: 2
edited December 1969 in The Commons

My first post :)

I'm fairly new to Daz3D and 3D in general. I have a working knowledge of Zbrush and fairly advanced in Photoshop post work. It's my aspiration to become a published artist full-time in the Daz marketplace. Been thoroughly enjoying reading through the threads. Although I am learning quite a bit surrounding the process of content creation I am quite confused on the legalities concerning clothing.

For instance I have been sending a genesis mesh into Zbrush, masking out a basic shape, and extracting it to create the clothing base. Is this process unacceptable for the purpose of selling?

I plan on making content for Genesis 2 female and male primarily. Any clarification or suggestions would be much appreciated on the proper methodology for the purpose of selling :) Something I can purchase in the store that fits my goals?

Thanks in Advance!

*Wasn't sure which forum to make this post. Apologies.

Comments

• FistyFisty Posts: 3,416
    edited April 2014

No, you cannot use the actual genesis mesh as the basis for your clothing (to sell or give away, only for your own personal use), you'll need to either create your own skin tight base mesh to start your creations with or there are ones you can purchase specifically for that purpose.

Here is a nice set for G2F: http://www.daz3d.com/merchant-resource-genesis-2-females-starter-suits

Post edited by Fisty on
  • Zachary JamesZachary James Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

Oh excellent. Thanks for the reply and link! :)

edited December 1969

yep yep good luck! =)

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Joequick also has a fair amount of decent starter suits for free that can be used to create freebies and commercial items.

G2F: http://www.sharecg.com/v/73652/gallery/5/3D-Model/G2F-Base-Meshes
    G2M; http://www.sharecg.com/v/73630/gallery/5/3D-Model/G2M-Starter-Meshes
    v4, m4, k4, genesis, villa, aina, antonia, apollo, athena, bella, 3du's Toon Generation and natu: http://www.sharecg.com/v/67360/gallery/5/3D-Model/Quicks-Quick-Resource-Meshes

edited April 2014

If you want a basic dress for Genesis1 I have one over at ShareCG as well http://www.sharecg.com/v/61665/view/5/3D-Model/Dress-Base-for-Genesis

Post edited by Fisty on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,937
    edited December 1969

Fisty said:
    No, you cannot use the actual genesis mesh as the basis for your clothing (to sell or give away, only for your own personal use), you'll need to either create your own skin tight base mesh to start your creations with or there are ones you can purchase specifically for that purpose.

Here is a nice set for G2F: http://www.daz3d.com/merchant-resource-genesis-2-females-starter-suits

...OK I'm confused. Does this mean I cannot create clothing that would work with Zev0's Growing Up morphs? Most young girls are flat chested and pre/young teens small breasted as well as much more petite with respect to physique. However, being stuck with only designing clothing for the adult G2F figure (which roughly has a C cup bust) would cause mesh distortion issues on small to flat chested figures, especially in clothing content that is created to not have the 'saran wrap" fit on the breasts.

Personally, I do not expect there to be a "K6" or "YT6", particularly with the advent of the Growing Up morphs, so I feel this will be a void that needs filling.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,366
    edited December 1969

You can model around the figure but you cannot extract/copy the mesh and use that to create clothing (only if its for personal use).

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...OK I'm confused. Does this mean I cannot create clothing that would work with Zev0's Growing Up morphs? Most young girls are flat chested and pre/young teens small breasted as well as much more petite with respect to physique. However, being stuck with only designing clothing for the adult G2F figure (which roughly has a C cup bust) would cause mesh distortion issues on small to flat chested figures, especially in clothing content that is created to not have the 'saran wrap" fit on the breasts.

Generally you would make the clothes to fit the base adult figure, rig it in DS, then apply the child morph.. see how bad it is, you'd be surprised sometimes it works just fine in most places. I go about morphs two ways, either I let it auto morph and then bridge to Hexagon and using the smooth brush to fix up and areas it didn't do too well with. If the mangling is pronounced I will create the morph from scratch and use that to overwrite the auto-fit one. The first option is >usually< easier and prevents issues with the mesh being in the wrong place for the joint bends which can be a problem when doing morphs with significantly different sized limbs like kids.

If you don't like that normal work flow you can model the clothes on the child morph and then load it in with reverse deformations on then it will be perfect on the child but probably look okay to terrible on the adult shapes.

edited December 1969

Additional notes - if you want to use the normal method but make it the easiest on yourself that you can, model the area over the chest without any significant details and make sure it's tight up against the skin in between the breasts.. notmally you would model with with a realistic tent there, but if your aim is for a flat chested figure modeling it shrink wrapped will get you much better result from the auto morphing.

• khaliblookhalibloo Posts: 76
    edited April 2014

So, what about anatomical features that make use of geografting? How would one get the exact placement of the vertices to stitch with, if copying isn't allowed?

edit:
    one other question while we are still here... is it legal to make commercial clothes/items specifically for characters you don't own (besides genesis of course)

Post edited by khalibloo on
  • Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited April 2014

It's perfectly fine for you to create clothing for figures you don't own, although I don't see how that would be possible. You'd need the figure's base to model around (for proper dimensions, don't use the model as your clothing base) and to test on.

Regarding geografting...

Check the EULA. IIRC it was updated to add wording which makes it sound like geografts are ok since it would require the use of the figure it was made for. My bold.

THREE DIMENSIONAL WORKS. DAZ wishes to encourage the expansion of the catalog of Content available to its users. Accordingly, User may access, use, copy, and modify the Content to create one or more derived or additional three-dimensional works provided that: 1. any such derived or additional three-dimensional works are designed to require or encourage the use of Content available through the online DAZ store either by (i) requiring the use of such Content to function, or (ii) allowing only limited function when not used in conjunction with Content from the online DAZ store; and

2. upon receipt of a written request from DAZ, User will immediately cease any and all distribution of the derived or additional three-dimensional works User has created from the Content, if DAZ has determined, in its sole discretion, that (i) such additional or derived work is substantially similar to or is a clone of existing Content; or (ii) such additional or derived work fails to require or encourage the use of Content available through the online DAZ store as described above.

http://www.daz3d.com/eula

Above all else, when in doubt, send in a support ticket for clarification.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
    edited December 1969

sorry i wasn't clear enough...
    i didn't mean "own" in that sense. For example, V6 isn't my creation. Would it be okay to make and sell V6 clothes or do i need explicit permission from the creator(s) of V6?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited April 2014

No, you don't need explicit permission to make clothes for any figure that you have in your product library.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

Thanks for clearing that up. The EULA wasn't particularly easy to understand in that respect