USB mouse oddness on W7-64 bit (tip)

mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Maybe this is well-known... but...

Quick tip that might save others some grief...

Using W7-64b and the latest Bryce, anytime I held my USB-based mouse/mice button down for any button-press (dragging) action for give-or-take 5 seconds, anywhere in the program, the Bryce interface would freeze in the foreground (and continue to act in the background)...

I could get most anything done (with a lot of ctrl-Zing) but what a pain...

The USB mouse could be wireless or wired. None of my other (daz, poser, hex, corel, magix, browsers, etc. SW) do this. All drivers current.

The fix for me was to install a normal serial mouse (old-style, round green plug, no USB adapter) right to the main-board plug. Oddly, once installed, my USB mouse problems have gone away as well. Go figure. I'll update this note if anything changes, but it's nice to drive Bryce the way it was designed to be driven...

Hope this makes sense and saves someone else's sanity, or perhaps helps them remain a Bryce user!

(Daz forum search is more useless than useful, and although I got through 80 or 90 topics from the back of the 37 current pages of topics (all good stuff!), I decided to simply post this and risk being redundant...)

cheers,

mindsong

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,533
    edited December 1969

@mindsong - thank you for sharing your experiences. I've never experienced such and I've been using Bryce from Win98SE up to Win7 with normal and USB mice. But as you report, odd things may happen.

The only time when I have issues accessing some labs or options is when the Task Manager is running. Stopping the Task Manager and restarting Bryce resolves the issue.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Have to admit I have never had this problem either and I have used Bryce on win 3.1 forward. (Bryce 2 onwards) and many different mouses.

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701
    edited December 1969

(Mr?) Horo - I nearly had a heart attack, as I almost always have the task manager up - always, but hadn't gotten to starting it up since the reported fix. Tentatively, I started the Task Manager, and revisited my 2+million poly Bryce scene w/ DB's pro-island textures and your skies..., and lo! my mouse is still working properly.

FWIW, I've tried larger document-sizes, all OpenGL modes, and most labs that have dragging options. So far, much more fun to use.

cheers,
    mindsong

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701
    edited December 1969

@chohole, thank your good fortune...

Perhaps that's why there were no apparent references in my forum search. While I fancy myself a bit of an outlier by preference, there are times when being unique isn't that much fun. I feel like I just got a free Bryce upgrade!, and it was great even with the quirks.

I bet the upcoming 64bit Bryce 8 upgrade will feel even better (hint hint to the PTB...)

cheers,
    mindsong

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,533
    edited December 1969

@mindsong - Not Mr. I hadn't that Task Manager issue with Win2000 or XP, only on Win7. A part works, another doesn't. I understand to have the Task Manager running, particularly for elaborate scenes because of the 2 GB limit. However, I use the free Process Monitor. It permits to select a single application (.e.g. Bryce) to supervise.