texture for the newly created craft

edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

This may belong in a more general forum (as well as being hasty). But I just made a space craft thingy and am of course wondering how to texture something with no reference to anything else. This thing has quite a few polygons. Not sure but I either recall or am suggesting an extension that generates a texture Map for whatever you model. I'll guess this is built in and I missed it.

But even apart from that, other suggestions are fine. There's tons of inappropriate textures in Bryce. Yet there are a few that could work depending on the theme of the overall graphic.

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,041
    edited December 1969

giving it a uv your first step
    you can just apply box, spherical, cylindrical.or planar on any axis in vertex modeler uv tab or get a bit fancier and unwrap it.
    the uv template can be exported for reference
    you can also roughly use 3D paint to define areas, the created map will be saved when your file is.

edited December 1969

hang on, Bryce? you in right forum?

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

giving it a uv your first step
    you can just apply box, spherical, cylindrical.or planar on any axis in vertex modeler uv tab or get a bit fancier and unwrap it.
    the uv template can be exported for reference
    you can also roughly use 3D paint to define areas, the created map will be saved when your file is.
    Yeah... hard to tell what to do from here without actually seeing the model. But from the sounds of it, you'd want to UV Unwrap the model. For intricate models, it is often not good enough to simply rely on a simple UV Projection Auto-solution. Bryce is a different beast altogether, I think, as you often use boolean functions, I think, to create a final result of a model. Then again, I don't know Bryce. But if it is a Bryce object made by using positive and negative shapes with each other to achieve that final result, and if Bryce has a UV editor, you might be able to very easily map each piece before they're all applied together in their booleans, or whatever functions they use for the final outcome - resulting in a nicely textured model. But that's just a hunch.

Carrara has a UV Unwrap function. Some objects are simple enough to unwrap without adding seems or pins. But most of the time, those are also fine candidates for the auto-style projections, like Wendy said, Spherical, Box, Cylindrical, or Planar. Unwrapping is where you imagine trying to get your model to unfold into a flat piece of paper. Complex models may need more than one piece of paper to keep things a bit simpler. In such cases, we then simply select all of the polygons for a part of the model that we think we can unfold to a single piece... like the head of a character or wheel of a car, for example. With that selected, we give it it's own shading domain. In the case of a wheel, you often want the tire and some of the other details to have their own separate domains.

The Carrara UV editor allows us to work with each shading domain individually. This makes it easier for us to see where, if any, seems should be added for a proper unfolding.

If it doesn't sound simple, it's because it's not. UV editors, like the one included in Carrara, make the process much easier and even more possible. Many 3d artists in all of the different modeling software options available have difficulty with this. It's not a really simple concept to learn, nor is it overly easy to explain. We have had some recent topics around here lately where we helped a new member, Tania, get to grips with UV Editing, and she just took right to it.

• edited December 1969

Thanks for the posts. I figured that's the case (how could it be otherwise). I'll look around in texture mode... Maybe someone could type where I should look therein to start the ball rolling?

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI kzerial :)

To be able to help you,... we need to know what "Software" you're using../

You mentioned "Bryce" in your original post,..,.. but it wasn't clear whether you modelled the space-craft "thingy" in Bryce. or are trying to apply textures in Bryce,. or are you using Carrara, since this is the Carrara forum.

Bryce has it's own Forum, here,.. where you can find all the Bryce experts.

Hope that makes sense :)

• edited December 1969

Yes, I assumed too much. I'm using Carrara 8 for this - but have Bryce as well.

So it's about generating a map, or maps!, for a new object. Sounds harder than I thought if you've got more than a hand full of polygons. I learn best by example. Is there a tut that walks you through something like this (unless some selfless soul is going to type)?

3D paint at least sounds like something one might need in this. But if this is the complexity involved with just a little space craft I may have to reconsider my projects.

edited December 1969

It can actually be very simple, once you understand it. Once you become used to mapping, you take that all into consideration in your modeling practices.

For example, if part of the model is somewhat spherical, start with that part and use the spherical projection operation to map it automatically, and often that will be just what you need. Now make that other shape than needs a more cylindrical, and project cylindrical mapping to it.

While such methods can be done very easily using separate objects, you can also do it withing the same object as well... just make sure to give each general shape its own domain as you go.

Yes... there are some tutorials around, I think. I have one that I bought that is very good: Advanced Carrara Techniques, sold here at DAZ 3D by Infinite Skills, and the teacher is the notorious Phil Wilkes, who just rocks! So that's why I don't know, off hand, where you might find free ones... maybe someone else here does though.

Don't give up though!
    This stuff sounds hard because it's very hard to explain. It can be hard to do to a model that was created without knowing what to do with the mapping, but maybe not. Not all modeling apps offer unwrapping without buying a plugin, if you can even do it at all. But Carrara Pro comes with the feature and it works!

If we cannot find a free tutorial, we'll make one.

edited December 1969
    edited December 1969

HI kzerial :)

thanks for the info,. that helps :)

First of all, let me try to explain briefly what UV Mapping is..

It's called UVW mapping, because XYZ are already used to describe the Model,.

Your model has three dimensions,. X / Y /Z , but your "texture" is a flat 2D image,.(X / Y) so,. we need a way to tell the program "how to project the texture, onto the object", and this process is called UV Mapping,.

You can simply select a "Preset" method of UV Mapping, such as Box, Sphere, Cylindrical, etc... and optionally choose a layout.

UV Mapping takes your 3D model, and "Virtually" flattens it into a 2D shape, to allow the 2D image to be projected onto the models surface.

The process of UV mapping can be simple or complex, depending on the shape of your model.

If you don't have a "Texture image" for your Model,. you can use the UV Mapping "Export" option to create a black and white "Wire-frame" of your model,. which you can load into any paint or image editor, and use as a "guide" to creating your models texture.

As for 3D painting,. this also requires the Model to have UV Mapping, so that it knows how the paint should be applied.

Every model made will have some type of UV Mapping (and a default shader) applied to it when you create it,.
    whether it's right or wrong is up to you, and easily changeable.

Hope it helps :)

• edited December 1969

I'm not totally new to this as I made a cool face mask for Mike once. So I'll try to find the uv mapping export feature.... Was of course considering the best search phrase for google but we'll try your link above. This stuff is too cool to simply drop in any case. Danke.

edited December 1969

Exporting the current UV Map, will show you the same thing as the UV Editor. It just gives you the output so you can bring it into an image editor.

Yeah, when I first tried 3D Paint (I Love It, by the way) is where I've noticed that a decent UV mapping job is needed, at least in my case. You quickly see what I mean if the UV mapping is all wonky, as you'll paint here, and a stretchy appearance sort of thing applies over there! LOL

I'll check out that UV Map tutorial.

If you're going through the tutorial and something doesn't seem to make sense, let us know ;)

• edited December 1969

Downloaded that pdf so all we need now is time and peace of mind. I think there are free 3D paint programs out there. Right now, I'm not sure why this would be needed if you've a map for your 3D object. But just typing that makes me think you could create some weird effects using both. Like, holographic.... sirs.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

kzerial said:
    Downloaded that pdf so all we need now is time and peace of mind. I think there are free 3D paint programs out there. Right now, I'm not sure why this would be needed if you've a map for your 3D object. But just typing that makes me think you could create some weird effects using both. Like, holographic.... sirs.

There can be many reasons to use a 3D paint tool. I you own C8 Pro, it has one built in.

edited December 1969

kzerial said:

There can be many reasons to use a 3D paint tool. I you own C8 Pro, it has one built in.Oh kzerial...
    Just wait 'till you get acquainted with the awesome 3d painting bliss your can have in Carrara!!!

Even in the model tools, there's a Displacement Paint tool. The tool itself is a brush that you control without any limits but your imagination! The tool can be a simple, soft sculpt, or any height-style image map as a texture. Then you control the size and intensity and sculpt away with it.

3D Paint tool also has displacement painting! The 3D Paint is really fun. I have stuff on that, I just have to find it ;)
    Here's a cool shot of the displacement tool in the model room that ep did: Post from a recent thread

• edited December 1969

Anyone else have to log iogin upon each return? Not even sure if I've a pro version as it simply says Carrara 8. I'll try to find that displace(d!) tool...

edited December 1969

if you have an ocean primitive you have pro

• edited December 1969

Assuming this would be found in the Insert drop down, then no. Thanks for the tip.

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited May 2014

kzerial said:
    I think there are free 3D paint programs out there. ....
    Oh kzerial...
    Just wait 'till you get acquainted with the awesome 3d painting bliss your can have in Carrara!!!

I have never found 3D Paint in C to be bliss... LOL. Actually I have a lot of problems getting it to *start* writing to a texture... I have to jump in and out of the paint interface and the Texture Room like a dozen times before it starts doing what I think it should. Once it gets going I can handle it ok, and save the new texture, but I am always frustrated and confused getting it to start.... Willing to say it's me, but everytime I am like "are you painting...? yes? no? what? wait... now? um... wait... whatthe... ok. yes? oh... is it???"

Maybe I should watch some tutorials or something....

Post edited by wetcircuit on
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Holly - you referring to when the paintbrush icon remains stubbornly yellow and refuses to actually paint? This used to frustrate the heck out of me, until I found I'd accidentally deselected the model somehow. Once selected again, the icon turns white and off you go:)

Maybe something as simple as this?

edited December 1969

I've also found that even though you've saved a location for the resulting image map or selected a map to edit, it will remain blank or unchanged until you save the scene. Then Carrara writes to the image map file you've created or edited.

edited December 1969

Really? I know that ep and Holly are on MacOS... is that an issue, perhaps?
    What ep says is somewhat true in Windows, except that you don't have to save the scene, but the image. You see Carrara allows you to paint in layers, even when using formats that do not support layers. So you can layer as you paint, but in order for it to remain in layers and still show up as a saved image, you need to save in psd format, which saves with layers intact just fine.

But if you're saving the texture image as, say a jpg, upon saving the image within the 3d paint tool a dialog will warn you that the image will not retain individual layer information.

In my experience, but I was trained by Phil Wilkes via his Advanced Carrara Techniques training course, the tool (brush) is very easy to use and set up in many ways. I have also purchased GKDantas "Ron's Scratches" for Carrara adaptation and all of Ringo Monfort's DP Paint brushes. All of which make the experience incredibly fun for me. I certainly don't recall being frustrated. Although I love the purchased brushes, I must say that Carrara comes with a fine selection to choose from. Beyond having brushes to paint textures with, it also comes with paint brush style brush tips, which are useful and fun. The line tool is immensely handy for those times when you need straight lines.

I'm not on my Carrara machine today, but I can post some examples or possibly make a video.

The things to get used to for the most comfortable experience is the opacity, edge mask (if used) using the right size for the right job, and if you use Ctrl + Drag to set the size, make certain that the direction of the textured tool (if used) is facing the direction you need it to.

One thing that I did notice, is that Edit > Undo is far more responsive than my habit of using Ctrl + z

When painting in layers, we get the ability to set the opacity of each layer. We may also fill a layer, which will flood that layer with whatever color is set in the tool tab. Colors can be used even if the textured brush is using a colored image, which will mix with that and paint the resulting blend.

Also, practice will help us to determine whether or not to use an edge mask or sharp edges, depending upon which brush texture is used, and what you're painting on.

Ringo's kits even include various skin textures, metal grids, rusty textures, etc., while GKDantas' 'Ron's Scratches' has invaluable effects to age textures in various ways.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

I’ve also found that even though you’ve saved a location for the resulting image map or selected a map to edit, it will remain blank or unchanged until you save the scene. Then Carrara writes to the image map file you’ve created or edited.

That is my experience as well and I'm on Win 7 64 - until you actually save the scene, the paint job is only in memory, not written to the file.

A hint for those who may not know - if I have a model to paint and it's not for distribution, instead of going all the way with a complex unwrap to get a decent UV map for painting, in UU3D I select Atlas UV's - that "shatters" the map into a mess of facets, all laid out higgeldy-piggeldy with no overlaps, in less than a second; ideal for 3D painting.

I do this when the model is not up for distribution because you can't use that map as a template later on.

The free version of Blacksmith 3D has the same function - it is limited in the size of the texture it outputs, so, before getting UU3D, I used that to make the Atlas map, then paint in Carrara:)

• edited December 1969

I'm baack... That PDF tut was a bit too convoluted, with the multichannel label to be affixed etc.

Let me start over. All I'm trying to do is either texture or create map for... one polygon within a larger object of polygons.

So far, whatever I attempt, the whole object gets the material or whatever; while only one polygon is selected. This even happens with the UV map, where the texture pattern extends outside the selected polygon but that is understandable.

So close.

edited December 1969

kzerial said:
    I'm baack... That PDF tut was a bit too convoluted, with the multichannel label to be affixed etc.

Let me start over. All I'm trying to do is either texture or create map for... one polygon within a larger object of polygons.

So far, whatever I attempt, the whole object gets the material or whatever; while only one polygon is selected. This even happens with the UV map, where the texture pattern extends outside the selected polygon but that is understandable.

So close.

Could you set up a separate shading domain for that one polygon then?

• edited December 1969

I attempted that. You type a name for that in the little box. But it still put it over the whole object. Must have missed something.

edited December 1969

kzerial said:
    I attempted that. You type a name for that in the little box. But it still put it over the whole object. Must have missed something.

What you do is open your object in the Vertex modeler, select the polygon that you want to have a different shading domain, then click the Global Tab as in my screen shot. Click the Add button and Carrara will ask if you want to apply a new shading domain to the selected area or something like that. Click Okay. In my example I now have two domains. In the text field below the domains you can change the name to whatever you want.

Back in the Assembly room view, if you select your model and then the model's Shading Tab, you should see a list of all the domains you have applied to the model. Just put different shaders in each slot if you want. You can also save all the shaders in their proper domains for later use by dragging and dropping the multi-colored ball icon at the top of the domain list to your Shader Browser.

Picture_5.png
    1043 x 734 - 244K
    Picture_4.png
    239 x 308 - 23K
    Picture_3.png
    412 x 116 - 10K
    Picture_2.png
    247 x 340 - 26K
    Picture_1.png
    489 x 444 - 84K
  • edited December 1969

Tho I'm fed up with logins we appreciate the post. I missed clicking that little "choose a shader" button. It appears you Must add another shader besides that default "0 Texture"

There's that then. It would be nice or easier if you could (also) select your texture Map by going along this same path. When you click the choose shader button it brings up menus quite akin to Byrce's menus. They should put the select texture map in there as well....

Danke.

edited December 1969

HI kzerial

When you make any object,. it's automatically assigned a default "shading domain" (Texture 0) "you can change that name in the Global tab if you want to"

If you want to have a area of your object, which has a different texture, then you need to create another "Shading domain" and assign it to the area of your model which you want to be coloured or textured differently.,

This process of creating a shading "domain"only creates an "empty" shading area on your model,.
    It has nothing to do with whatever texture maps, or shader colours you want to apply to that domain.
    it only creates the shading domain.

To create the "Shader", (colours or images) you must go back to the Assembly room, or Shader room, and create a "New" shader,, which you can then add any image maps to.

It sounds like you're selecting the "Choose a "Pre-set" shader" option, which will give you a panel (Scene Wizard) where you can browse the existing shaders that come with Carrara.

If you want to add your own images, then that's not what you want to do.

You should click on the little blue button (on the right) to select a shader, then scroll down to the bottom of the list, and choose..
    .(New Master Shader)
    this will create a new shader, where you an add your images, or colours.

It may also help us to help you if you can explain what you're tying to achieve by creating a shading domain on a single polygon,.
    is it a window, a door, a company Logo etc ?

There are also some shading options which could help you "place" a graphic onto a part of your model.
    but I don't want to confuse the issue by explaining that right now.

I want to try to understand what you want to do,. to help you.

Any images or screen-captures you can post would also help.

• edited May 2014

To create the “Shader”, (colours or images) you must go back to the Assembly room, or Shader room, and create a “New” shader,, which you can then add any image maps to.

It sounds like you’re selecting the “Choose a “Pre-set” shader” option, which will give you a panel (Scene Wizard) where you can browse the existing shaders that come with Carrara.

If you want to add your own images, then that’s not what you want to do.

You should click on the little blue button (on the right) to select a shader, then scroll down to the bottom of the list, and choose..
    .(New Master Shader)
    this will create a new shader, where you an add your images, or colours.

It may also help us to help you if you can explain what you’re tying to achieve by creating a shading domain on a single polygon,.
    is it a window, a door, a company Logo etc ?

There are also some shading options which could help you “place” a graphic onto a part of your model.
    but I don’t want to confuse the issue by explaining that right now.

I want to try to understand what you want to do,. to help you.

Any images or screen-captures you can post would also help.

>>> Adding a new shader (for single polygon), check. I couldn't follow the above as I saw no blue button to the right... That's in assembly mode?

Yeah, a little craft.... where one polygon gets a map of two little windows or something like that.

Thanks for your time.

Post edited by mpam76895_15961369c9 on