DIM "download failed!"

jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
edited April 2014 in The Commons

What can cause a product in the DIM to give a "download failed" error message immediately?

Other products in my DIM are downloading fine, but as soon as I click download on the new Ying Hua hair for Gen2, i get a "download failed!" message.

Is it an error with the file itself?

edit: cos apparently I don't even know the correct name of the hair :D

Post edited by jakiblue on

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582
    edited December 1969

That probably means an error with the file -- can you download it from your Product Library, or does that also fail?

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited December 1969

I don't think it is either a DIM software problem or a problem with the file being downloaded. I think it's purely communications related.

I get this semi-regularly when downloading (but other times I get no errors even when downloading some very big purchases). I believe it is a glitch somewhere between my DIM and the DAZ site.

We all must remember, DIM is a download manager. While he's downloading, he's being very very chatty with the host. Any communication hiccups can and often do result in precisely this type of error.

It is a hassle, because the only truly reliable way of recovering from it is to close DIM, then re-open and re-attempt the failed download. Most times, DIM will resume at whatever the last checkpoint is, so you probably won't have to wait all over again.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited April 2014

I have the same hair (Ying Hua by Arien), with the same issue. Only 1 file shows up in DIM ( the DS files, which fails- PoserCF don't even show up in DIM), while 3 show up in the product library. It downloads fine using the blue download button from the site.

I moved the manual downloads into DIM's download folder and while it recognizes the main file, it won't recognize the PoserCF.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

It's the first time it's happened to me actually, and I always use the DIM to download. Weird.
    I'll have to d/l it manually...which is a pain, as through the DIM i get blistering fast speeds, whereas from the Product Library I get molasses speed.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,126
    edited December 1969

I don't think it is either a DIM software problem or a problem with the file being downloaded. I think it's purely communications related.

I get this semi-regularly when downloading (but other times I get no errors even when downloading some very big purchases). I believe it is a glitch somewhere between my DIM and the DAZ site.

We all must remember, DIM is a download manager. While he's downloading, he's being very very chatty with the host. Any communication hiccups can and often do result in precisely this type of error.

It is a hassle, because the only truly reliable way of recovering from it is to close DIM, then re-open and re-attempt the failed download. Most times, DIM will resume at whatever the last checkpoint is, so you probably won't have to wait all over again.

Actually, to log in again just click on your account name in the upper right hand corner - that brings up the logon box again.

To see why the disconnect occurred (or the download failed) click on the gear icon, then on the 'show log' (bottom left) and scroll to the bottom. And like Mike says, this sounds like a file problem in the store.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

thanks namffuak! i forgot about that log file.

log file shows:

WARNING: Error while downloading to file "IM00018819-01_YingHuaHairforGenesis2Female.zip", error setting up download file
    WARNING: Network Error while downloading to file "": Operation canceled

hmmm will have to d/l manually then. But....if i d/l manually and install manually, i'll eventualy have to d/l it in DIM at some stage, to make sure I get any updates.

• riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,405
    edited December 1969

I've had some problems with my connection at times. Other times, I've had to re-install DIM.

edited December 1969

Might have to toss a note to Arien or Daz support as it seems to be just this product.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,177
    edited December 1969

I've been having the same problem with Carnival Presets DS. Download Failed! there were just at least a half dozen product updates, including Genesis 2 Female Starter Essentials. All downloaded and installed fine except for Carnival Presets DS.

The log says: WARNING: Error renaming temporary file "F:/DAZ DIM Downloads/IM00014250-02_CarnivalPresetsDS.zip.{51c28931-4755-e822-6cdf-0252b7608dcd}.part"

Maybe I'll delete it and see what happens.

Dana

edited April 2014

Well, it got past download, but now in the Ready to Install tab, it says Install Failed! There's definitely something up with this file.

And the log file says:
    Installing product : Carnival Presets DS
    Could not extract file : E:/DAZ3D Library/data/JG/CarnPres/!Balloons4Board/balloons_56826.dsf
    Product installation failed : Carnival Presets DS

Dana

Post edited by DanaTA on
  • ArienArien Posts: 195
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    Might have to toss a note to Arien or Daz support as it seems to be just this product.

Thanks for that, Vaskania, but PAs have *nothing* to do with the DIM side of things, or even the build and labelling of final zips. The files were all there just a few days ago when they went into my account, but now they are not showing up on DIM, and there's no problem or issue that they've reported to me that might have caused them to redo files. The PCF and templates are missing for me too there. But from the standard product library, I can download all three, and the zips unzip well, so obviously there's something happening at the server level that is causing this.

To those having this problem, the only solution I can give to you is to download from your library and install manually (DO NOT try to run them through DIM to install), all three files work and unzip perfectly fine for me when done this way.

In the meantime, I've sent a note to DAZ to look into it, and hopefully that will get a faster response. I'll let you guys know what they tell me and when it's fixed, as long as they tell *me*.

edited December 1969

Thanks for the clarification, Arien. I wasn't sure who does what when it comes to non-daz originals.

I was able to install via DIM once I downloaded it manually and added it to my folder (not the PoserCF), but after reading your post I uninstalled it and reinstalled it the old fashioned way.

edited December 1969

Ok, DAZ tells me that they've fixed it. It is showing in my DIM, at least the main file and the PCF, which is what should be there. Both are downloading fine for me!

edited December 1969

I guess Carnival Presets DS will have to be installed manually. I just deleted the package, inside the DIM, and refreshed. It showed up under the products list. I started the Queue and it downloaded, but failed installation again.

Dana

edited December 1969

Dana, I'm sorry the item hasn't been fixed. it's a PC item, so the PC club handles those through different channels than PA products, and the people that fixed mine don't have access to those.

You should fill a support request, make sure you include the error log so they know what is going on.

edited December 1969

Arien said:
    Dana, I'm sorry the item hasn't been fixed. it's a PC item, so the PC club handles those through different channels than PA products, and the people that fixed mine don't have access to those.

You should fill a support request, make sure you include the error log so they know what is going on.

Thanks, I'll do that when I get the time.

Dana

• krickerdkrickerd Posts: 188
    edited December 1969

That's affirmative. I just confirmed that re-booting IM can fix this problem.

• Melissa ConwayMelissa Conway Posts: 590
    edited December 1969

Lately, I’ve been getting the ‘download failed!’ message A LOT. In my case, it’s definitely not the file, it’s DIM, because it’s happened repeatedly with several things I’ve purchased. What I figured out was that DIM doesn’t so much like to download from the page I get immediately after purchasing. It prefers it if I go into my account, click on View Order for the order in question, and then click the “download this entire order” button from there. No idea why it’s so squirrelly, but that’s what I do when it’s acting up…

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited June 2014

I've never used either of those methods for downloading through DIM. I just open DIM on my laptop, and once it's connected to my account, what's new to be downloaded shows up in my Ready to Download tab.

That said, I had some occasions where there was a failed download, or more recently, lost connections to my account in the store, but the most recent DIM update, ver. 1.1.0.21, seems to have taken care of that. I can now leave DIM open for a while, and it doesn't disconnect like it used to after only a few minutes.

Post edited by Miss B on
  • krickerdkrickerd Posts: 188
    edited June 2014

I was having trouble with today's freebie "Classic Shields". I tried several times to download and install but kept getting the download failed message. Then I changed the properties on DIM to "Run as administer" and then it worked. I don't know if changing the setting had anything to do with the successful download or not. Could be just a coincidence. I will leave this setting on and report back later if there is another failure.

*Update* Run as administer had nothing to do with the success. Success or fail seems random.

Post edited by krickerd on