How to get Translucency node set up/to work in Shadermixer?

2»

Comments

• IceEmpressIceEmpress Posts: 639
    edited December 1969

SO is what I understand of translucency in DS (as per the dial on the Ubersurface Shader) all wrong? That is precisely what I am looking for. How do I get UbS translucency to show up in a render? That is also what I want to set up in a mixer, with a translucence node.

• CzexanaCzexana Posts: 167
    edited December 1969

opal42987 said:
    SO is what I understand of translucency in DS (as per the dial on the Ubersurface Shader) all wrong? That is precisely what I am looking for. How do I get UbS translucency to show up in a render? That is also what I want to set up in a mixer, with a translucence node.

The effect Richard and KlasK has shown you IS what the UberSurface translucency and the translucency brick in the shader mixer give you, so perhaps if that is not the effect you want then the concept of 'translucency' in DS is not what you expect it to be?

You say that the UberSurface translucency 'is precisely what I am looking for.' Have you a reference to a picture that shows what you expect to see and is known to be done with the UberSurface shader? Or any reason to think that UberSurface translucency is actually the effect you need? Sorry, I'm not trying to pick, I'm just trying to understand why you're insisting that the 'translucency' effect is what you want to use with all evidence to the contrary and no picture of the effect that you actually want to achieve.

edited December 1969

Ah, so it is the same. I'll have to try the stuff you posted today and see if I can get it to work. It's completely different from what I understood it was. All I'm trying to do is create a mixer for DAZ mats for a Poser item. Or is translucency a completely different effect in Poser?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,429
    edited December 1969

I would expect translucency in Poser to be the same as the Translucency brick or the property of uberSurfce and such - like a sheet of paper (or a sheet on a washing line) showing the light and shadow as it hits the other side. If you are wanting an effect along the lines of my last post, withput making the surfaces semi-transparent as well, then I think the kind of set-up in my last post in Shader Mixer (or a custom shader in Shader Builder) is your only option.

edited December 1969

You say that the UberSurface translucency ‘is precisely what I am looking for.’ Have you a reference to a picture that shows what you expect to see and is known to be done with the UberSurface shader?

The example renders in Zigraphix's shader mixer brick PDFs, I think. If not, it's the render of a tablecloth with three colored objects (primitives I think) behind it, to give the cloth a sheer effect, despite opacity being at 100%.

So, in order for the shadow to cast through a translucent object, I need a flat primitive instead of a box or sphere?

I'll try planes next time I fiddle around.

edited May 2014

Okay, I got it to work using UbS, but I can't get it to work with my mixer using your second example. It looks fine until I add a light to the scene, at which point it turns black.

Nobody answered by question as to whether or not it has to be a flat plane for the translucency shadows to cast through.

Can anyone give me a step-by-step, detailed instructions on how to create a light set that will cast long shadows but not change the colors of the objects AT ALL? Remember, I know zero about lighting save where the lights tab is and where to load the default lights from.
    I hate lights SOOOOOO much.

Edit: I think I got what I need tested out. FINALLY... That mixer is done. Though a better tester light like what I'm requesting above would still be nice...

Post edited by IceEmpress on
    edited December 1969

I'm not sure I understand the question - a white or grey light won't tint objects, but I suspect you mean something else.

edited December 1969

Light set that casts shadows and doesn't make things much brighter or darker, or change the colors.

edited December 1969

If you make sure the light for the translucence is heading almost straight towards the camera it won't have much visible effect on the scene, just the translucence and a bit of rim lighting (catching edges of items, which can help them stand out against the background). A distant light pointing in the same direction as the camera and set to a middling value (60-70% intensity I think) will roughly match the default headlamp that lights a scene without real lights, if that's the effect you want.

edited May 2014

Oh, man, I need a camera? I know even less about those than I do about lights (I also absolutely hate them since you have to move it around with the lights to get the right effect instead of scrolling around the scene freely)

What is a rim light?

Also, thank you so much for the info, but will this also keep the specularity roughly the same? (the only stats I'm not worried about keeping the same are refraction, translucency, SSS, and ambience)

What if, by chance, I also want an ambient light/UE, though?

Post edited by IceEmpress on
    edited December 1969

The Perspective View is a kind of camera, but since it isn't a real item in the Scene list you can't parent a light to it which would mean you had to adjust the light to keep it behaving like the default head-light.

Rim lighting is just light shining almost from behind an item, so that only the rim is lit -like a new or old moon.

A light singing from the camera should be the same as the default lighting in all respects, so yes specularity should be largely unaffected (you may get a bit of change from the light that's providing the shadows for translucency).