Is my laptop using the correct video card?

jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
edited May 2014 in The Commons

Ok, this is confusing to me, so hopefully someone a LOT more technical can explain this to me.

I have an ASUS laptop, R500V to be exact. i7 2.3ghz, running Win 7 Pro.

It has an ONBOARD graphics: Intell HD Graphics 4000

It ALSO has a Nvidea Geforce 610M 2gb video card.

I WANT to be running the Nvidea Geforce card.

In the Nvidea settings, I have DS set to use the Nvidea Geforce card.

However when I go to "about your video card" in DS, it says:

Hardware: Intel HD graphics 4000

So my question is: am I going a little nutty here? Is DS using the Geforce card as I have specified in the Nvidea settings and it's just not saying it in DS? Or is something going a bit wrong?

I can show screenshots if anyone needs them...jsut tell me which ones if need be.

I often get "flickering" when loading genesis/gen2/v4 etc. Like, genesis will briefly disappear when I am loading a texture or character.

I just remember not having any issues like this when I was using my old desktop (32bit), so it makes me curious about the viewport issues. DS itself renders fast etc, but it's just things happening in the viewport. And sometimes I get a tiny brief flash of the PREVIOUS texture I had on Genesis/V4 before it shows the new one.

Can anyone tell me if there is something I am missing, or if I'm going totally insane?

edit: oops forgot to mention.... I have a monitor hooked up to the laptop which I use with DS. Not sure if that makes a difference?

Post edited by jakiblue on

Comments

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited May 2014

Try this. Since you bring it up, I'll have to check hubby's laptop to see if it does the same thing, never thought to look.

Open your Nvidia Control Panel and go to 3D settings > Manage 3D Settings on the left.
    On the right side, select the Program settings tab.
    Under "Select a program to customize" click ADD and navigate to your daz studio exe (or find it in the drop down if it's there).
    Now you should see another section about choosing your preferred graphics. Select your NVIDIA card and hit APPLY in the lower right.

It's important that you hit apply, otherwise your settings won't take.

That should fix it. You may or may not have to reboot. I'm on a desktop and disabled the cpu graphics through my bios so I've never had this issue.

If this is what you already meant by having DS set to your nvidia card in your nvidia panel, then I'm all out of ideas. lol

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

LOL yes that was what I meant about having it set to the nvidea in the settings. :D

I'm also experiencing a "disappearing" genesis/genesis2 during render. :sigh:

• acanthisacanthis Posts: 604
    edited December 1969

How are you connecting that monitor? Via the HDMI connector or the legacy VGA port?

If the latter, it's only a guess, but it may be that the NVidia is not capable of outputting a signal on the VGA port, so, in that case, DS would be using the HD4600, regardless of the setting.

Just a thought.