New to Iray, HDRI dome question..

hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,025
edited May 2020 in The Commons

Ok..  So while I'm a 3Dlight user mainly, but now that I have a video card that supports Iray,I have a question on using HDRI files as the environment map.  How do I "move" the hdri dome further back? Usually it looks to be far to close to the camera..

Example: HDRI from hdrihaven - rendered in 3Delight using IBLmaster - (perspective view) (its an 8K HDRI

Same HDRI same view, rendered in Iray (infinite sphere with ground)

What am I missing???  Help?

Thanks!

3dl_hdri_test.jpg
1680 x 1050 - 1M
iray_hdri_test.jpg
1680 x 1050 - 911K
Post edited by hacsart on

Comments

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,611

I've come across this same issue with HDR, and when I submitted a support ticket, I was told that it's not possible. So if there is a way, I'd love to know as well. 

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,338

A while ago, someone in the forums asked how to achieve something like this:

When they loaded the product, the planet was small in the sky.  I explained to them that HDRI's work like like the real sky; the way you achieve that big moon is by changing the focal length of your camera and not the size of the sky:

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,611
    nemesis10 said:

A while ago, someone in the forums asked how to achieve something like this:

When they loaded the product, the planet was small in the sky.  I explained to them that HDRI's work like like the real sky; the way you achieve that big moon is by changing the focal length of your camera and not the size of the sky:

Yeah, the only issue with this technique is that super wide angles will distort faces. 

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    hacsart said:
    Example: HDRI from hdrihaven - rendered in 3Delight using IBLmaster - (perspective view) (its an 8K HDRI

Same HDRI same view, rendered in Iray (infinite sphere with ground)

Check the other parameter settings (in the Render Settings>Environment sub-tab for Iray) to see if the HDRI is at the same rotation angle. The two renders you posted could easily be from the same environment, but looking in different directions. Try a sequence of renders, adding something like 60° or 90° to the rotation each time, and see what shows as your viewing angle turns — it's not always obvious even if you look at the HDRI in an image viewer, especially with the distortion close to the edges. I've been surprised a few times with files I've downloaded from HDRIHaven; they're all excellent quality.

• mavantemavante Posts: 734
    hacsart said:

Ok..  So while I'm a 3Dlight user mainly, but now that I have a video card that supports Iray,I have a question on using HDRI files as the environment map.  How do I "move" the hdri dome further back? Usually it looks to be far to close to the camera.. ...

What am I missing???  Help?

Thanks!

IIRC, I believe the issue you are encountering is covered in some of the videos on the first page of this thread: Daz Studio Beginner Tutorials (UPDATED EVERY SUNDAY)

The ninth and tenth videos there deal with HDRI maps, and cover a lot of ground (pun sort of unavoidable).

• hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,025

Thanks... time to watch and experiment!

• felisfelis Posts: 4,060

You can also change Ground Texture Scale.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,075

@hacsart

It's looks like you're seeing the intersection of a different ground prop with the HDRI. If you use the HRSI alone, you won't see that. Otherwise you can experient with camera angles, DOF HDRI rotation etc.