LAMH Questions

Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hello!

I have some DAZ funnymoney left and am thinking of picking up a sale item so I can get half-off on Look At My Hair.

It looks great in stills, but does anybody know if/how well LAMH works in animation with wind, character movement, etc?

Comments

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

Hello!

I have some DAZ funnymoney left and am thinking of picking up a sale item so I can get half-off on Look At My Hair.

It looks great in stills, but does anybody know if/how well LAMH works in animation with wind, character movement, etc?

LAMH works with some animation, but not up close, yet. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTXYE43IKQU Full animation support is in the works.

LAMH is not a full dynamic, so it does not handle wind (yet).

Kendall

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited December 1969

Okay, thanks. Might still get it; it's just good to know the limits.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,927
    edited December 1969

I just installed LAMH 1.5.0.1 today. I noticed that when I attached LAMH Preset to a model, it changed the model from High Resolution to Base. Why?

These are the steps I performed:
    Load DAZ Squirrel
    Convert squirrel to Sub D
    Select docked Look at my Hair tab
    Select Attach LAMH Preset
    Select the squirrel LAMH preset that I downloaded from furry things website a few months ago
    Observe that DAZ Squirrel went from High Resolution to Base

edited December 1969

barbult said:
    I just installed LAMH 1.5.0.1 today. I noticed that when I attached LAMH Preset to a model, it changed the model from High Resolution to Base. Why?

These are the steps I performed:
    Load DAZ Squirrel
    Convert squirrel to Sub D
    Select docked Look at my Hair tab
    Select Attach LAMH Preset
    Select the squirrel LAMH preset that I downloaded from furry things website a few months ago
    Observe that DAZ Squirrel went from High Resolution to Base

Yes, the model does go to base. It can be set back to high-res after the preset is applied. This is a side-effect.

Kendall

edited December 1969

Thanks for your quick response.

edited December 1969

barbult said:
    Thanks for your quick response.

You're welcome. The setting to base will go away soon, as LAMH will be natively supporting the HD morphs in the creator. RawArt already uses the HD morphs with LAMH, but we're going to make them more available.

Kendall

edited May 2014

Now I tried Genesis with CharlieHairV5 hair preset that I got from Furry Things. Loading it sets Genesis back to Base resolution, as you described. I changed the shader to Human Hair shader and changed the color of each shader group. Then I changed Genesis back to High resolution. But as soon as I started the render, Genesis went back to Base resolution again. So is it not possible to render Genesis at High Resolution?

Edited to add: I'm using DS 4.6.1.120 on Windows 7 64 bit.

Post edited by barbult on
    edited December 1969

barbult said:
    Now I tried Genesis with CharlieHairV5 hair preset that I got from Furry Things. Loading it sets Genesis back to Base resolution, as you described. I changed the shader to Human Hair shader and changed the color of each shader group. Then I changed Genesis back to High resolution. But as soon as I started the render, Genesis went back to Base resolution again. So is it not possible to render Genesis at High Resolution?

Edited to add: I'm using DS 4.6.1.120 on Windows 7 64 bit.

Genesis renders just fine at High Resolution with LAMH. Sometimes the figure will get set back to base after it is used for the render and this will lead to confusion. I have attached 2 images, one with Genesis at hires and the other left at base. They are the grey golem to more easily show the base resolution's coarseness.

Kendall

base_close.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 480K
    hires_close.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 471K
    edited May 2014

Thank you. I see now that my rendered model used the High Resolution subdivision I applied, even though the parameters pane Resolution Level went back to saying Base.

A related question: How do I make the LAMH hair adjust to the model after subdivision is applied? I make a sphere with 10 sides and 10 divisions. I added LAMH follicles to the whole sphere. In DAZ Studio, I applied subdivision level 2 to the sphere to make it round. The LAMH hair did not seem to move to fit the rounded model. The root seemed to hover away from the rounded surface, out where the un-subdivided base model surface had been.

Post edited by barbult on
  • Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,619
    edited May 2014

barbult said:
    Thank you. I see now that my rendered model used the High Resolution subdivision I applied, even though the parameters pane Resolution Level went back to saying Base.

A related question: How do I make the LAMH hair adjust to the model after subdivision is applied? I make a sphere with 10 sides and 10 divisions. I added LAMH follicles to the whole sphere. In DAZ Studio, I applied subdivision level 2 to the sphere to make it round. The LAMH hair did not seem to move to fit the rounded model. The root seemed to hover away from the rounded surface, out where the un-subdivided base model surface had been.

Hello, current release doesn't account for subdivision, so you've to plan carefully the level of detail for a certain model. If you, as it seems done, create a cube-like shape, fur it, and later subdivide it 2 or more times and turn it into a sphere, guides will still rely on initial model.

Post edited by Alessandro Mastronardi on
    edited December 1969

barbult said:

Hello, current release doesn't account for subdivision, so you've to plan carefully the level of detail for a certain model. If you, as it seems done, create a cube-like shape, fur it, and later subdivide it 2 or more times and turn it into a sphere, guides will still rely on initial model.
    I think I understand now. The current release (1.5) generates hair based on the Base resolution of the model. Then, for render, you can subdivide and/or change resolution to High Resolution, but the hair position is always based on the Base resolution. The purpose of rendering with High Resolution and subdivision is for models like Genesis, to smooth the body and face in the render. So if I want hair to fit close to the surface of a sphere, I need to create the sphere with sufficient sides in the first place, and not plan to subdivide. Right?

By the way, I've been playing with the DAZ Squirrel downloaded preset. It is fantastic, and I am really impressed. I hid the original model's tail surface, so the tail had only LAMH fur. I figured out that if I scale the DAZ squirrel down to a realistic size, I can go into the LAMH Editor and reduce the fur length to make it better suit the scaled down squirrel. I also reduced the Hair Quantity, since I figured the smaller squirrel needed less hair to cover his surface. My scaled down squirrel is rendering now and looks great!

Thank you both for all the help. I look forward to trying more things with this.

edited December 1969

barbult said:
    barbult said:

I think I understand now. The current release (1.5) generates hair based on the Base resolution of the model. Then, for render, you can subdivide and/or change resolution to High Resolution, but the hair position is always based on the Base resolution. The purpose of rendering with High Resolution and subdivision is for models like Genesis, to smooth the body and face in the render. So if I want hair to fit close to the surface of a sphere, I need to create the sphere with sufficient sides in the first place, and not plan to subdivide. Right?

Yes.

By the way, I've been playing with the DAZ Squirrel downloaded preset. It is fantastic, and I am really impressed. I hid the original model's tail surface, so the tail had only LAMH fur. I figured out that if I scale the DAZ squirrel down to a realistic size, I can go into the LAMH Editor and reduce the fur length to make it better suit the scaled down squirrel. I also reduced the Hair Quantity, since I figured the smaller squirrel needed less hair to cover his surface. My scaled down squirrel is rendering now and looks great!

Thank you both for all the help. I look forward to trying more things with this.

You are welcome. We are glad you are having fun.

Kendall

edited December 1969

Yes, I'm having fun! Here is my scaled down DAZ Squirrel.

DAZ_Squirrel_scale_30_percent_LAMH.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 327K