New Users Contest May 2014 ►►► WIP thread◄◄◄

Comments

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited May 2014

TobiasG said:
    Yep. I thought I'd add some damage. You think it's overdone?

(and thanks for looking!)

Just looked odd to me. Maybe needs some bruising under the nail? A yellowish/purplish tinge to look like it has healed/is healing from a previous incident?

That would seem consistent with his personality.

EDIT: after looking up images of bruised fingernails it would need to be more black than yellow.

Here is an example of what I mean:

http://www.colourbox.com/image/finger-with-bruised-nail-subungual-hematoma-on-white-background-image-2335449?utm_expid=22365066-38.j3VkgN-zRgCMRMAFvmd_kg.0&utm_referrer=http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&docid=71RGO6Xp-lP31M&tbnid=hozq-YDyfMaRQM:&ved=0CAEQjxw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.colourbox.com%2Fimage%2Ffinger-with-bruised-nail-subungual-hematoma-on-white-background-image-2335449&ei=CSd2U_mZIOXr8QHRo4HwBw&bvm=bv.66699033,d.aWw&psig=AFQjCNHM4kffxS1brjVHeSiv7e42KeeOYA&ust=1400338511631998

Post edited by Kismet2012 on
  • TobiasGTobiasG Posts: 447
    edited December 1969

Good point. I'll bruise him a bit! (He won't mind)

• TobiasGTobiasG Posts: 447
    edited May 2014

Somewhat like this.

Angry5-2.jpg
    600 x 800 - 338K
    Angry5.jpg
    600 x 800 - 338K
    Post edited by TobiasG on
    edited December 1969

Much better. Looking good Tobias.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

TobiasG said:
    Somewhat like this.
    I hate to say this but it was guys like this at the clubs that got me to stop being a punk. As in Punk Rocker folks, spikes, leather, chains the full kit and caboodle. Even sported a Mohawk for a bit.
  • StargazeyStargazey Posts: 240
    edited December 1969

I thought I'd have a go at a "formal" portrait. - DS4.6, with a bit of post work in PS. Comments would be much appreciated.

Portrait_N02A.jpg
    615 x 800 - 372K
    edited December 1969

stargazey said:
    I thought I'd have a go at a "formal" portrait. - DS4.6, with a bit of post work in PS. Comments would be much appreciated.

It is a really nice start stargazey.

Is her hair on her right side (our left when looking at the image) intersecting her jaw line? Perhaps it is the camera angle giving that impression.

Sometimes I really wish I could rotate an image to get a better look...and not just 3D images either. :cheese:

• Steven-VSteven-V Posts: 727
    edited December 1969

What do you think of the updated font on the sign? I also got rid of her earrings, I did not like the angle they were at.

I think the lettering looks better.

But I think in terms of the pose that the sign covers up too much of her body, I would shift the angle of the camera so that you can see more of the actual character.

edited December 1969

stargazey said:

I love the lighting. Well done!

• StargazeyStargazey Posts: 240
    edited December 1969

There does seem to be something wrong with the hair/jaw - I'll have a "play" with it!
    In the mean time, here's another one I had a go at.

Portrait-N03A.jpg
    615 x 800 - 400K
    edited December 1969

Really nice. Love the makeup and lighting.

Only quibble I have is the fishhook on the earing in her right ear does not look centered in the earlob to me. Looks a little too close to the edge of the ear. Could just be the camera angle.

Really nice one stargazey.

• SassanikSassanik Posts: 340
    edited December 1969

Having too much fun with this one! I read that we are working on lighting next month, and while I really like the image I already rendered this month, I decided to try one that I could really play around with the lighting with for next month.

"Keeper of the Flame"

Amy

Lucille_Dragon_Queen02.jpg
    1000 x 1092 - 504K
  • SGCBearcubSGCBearcub Posts: 243
    edited December 1969

Having too much fun with this one! I read that we are working on lighting next month, and while I really like the image I already rendered this month, I decided to try one that I could really play around with the lighting with for next month.

"Keeper of the Flame"

Amy

I love the body angle. Looks very dynamic.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Very much good work in this thread. I'm wondering when we might see more in the entry thread? Seems so empty when you compare the two.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

And just one comment here. Please do add a Title to your images in the Entry thread, it makes it so much easier when it comes to judging, as the judges are just shown the images without an artist on them, so a title does help and it is part of the rules that you should add a title as well as the software used.

• ewangrant1ewangrant1 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Need a little help on this one, the glass orb is showing my light sources and I can't find a way to hide them.

Gatekeeper.jpg
    800 x 640 - 442K
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,354
    edited December 1969

Select the surface of the orb, then go to the Surfaces pane and either lower Specular Strength or turn on Multiply Specular through transparency. Though glass would usually pick up the lighting in that way.

edited December 1969

Thanks Richard, I will try those two methods. Agreed about the normal behaviour of glass, but it would be unusual also to have a lighting rig in the jungle, I'm trying for a sense of all round ambience rahter than strong light sources.

edited December 1969

Here's my second entry.

Title: Wary

Wary2.jpg
    896 x 702 - 399K
    edited December 1969

Need a little help on this one, the glass orb is showing my light sources and I can't find a way to hide them.

Beautiful image. Love the lighting. Feels like a real jungle.

edited December 1969

Two amazing images.

@ewangrant1: My first thought when I saw this image was WOW.

@ SGCBearcub: Wary!?!? I'm the one that needs to be wary of this guy.

• crowdurcrowcrowdurcrow Posts: 0
    edited May 2014

ive been using daz for a week and this is like my first attempt,hope you like it =)
    render : regular daz studio render engine
    color correction: photoshop CC
    hair : garibaldi hair
    figure : genesis 2 female base

test.jpg
    967 x 882 - 466K
    Post edited by crowdurcrow on
    edited December 1969

ive been using daz for a week and this is like my first attempt,hope you like it =)

1 week! That's amazing work for 1 week. I will assume you are not new to the field though?

edited May 2014

And @ Kismet 2012. Thank you both, however in case I have misled you, the jungle is just a backdrop image found on the net, someone, somewhere made that and I am just pirating it. :(

Post edited by ewangrant1 on
    edited December 1969

And @ Kismet 2012. Thank you both, however in case I have misled you, the jungle is just a backdrop image found on the net, someone, somewhere made that and I am just pirating it. :(

I have used images as backgrounds both on planes or added as a backdrop.

The background in one of my entries is a background image I got for free at Renderosity.

I just make sure they are free for commercial use. If in doubt I don't use it.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited May 2014

Please be aware that you should not be using an image that you "Just found on the internet" Any backdrop image you use should be one that is made for re-distribution (ie is sold or given away as a backdrop), and even then you should, as Kismet said, check that it has Commercial usage, as contests count as commercial usage because of the prizes,

Post edited by Chohole on
  • crowdurcrowcrowdurcrow Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

1 week! That's amazing work for 1 week. I will assume you are not new to the field though?

why thank you =))) and yes i work as a compositing artist for the last 9 years and i've been tweaking around with 3d stuff for the last 2 years (3ds max,mudbox and c4d).but after i noticed that daz pro is finally free, i decided to try it out. and i gotta say that its a great assistant for modelling humans and also animating.but unfortunately it has so many bugs which made it even harder for me to deal with this orientation period... but still i can say that ill be using it more often.

edited December 1969

Here is another stab at the first S-Girl portrait, this time with some stars and the sun Rao (from her home system) behind her. The planets, stars, and stuff in the background were done in Blender... I follow it with a different type of shot. This is actually from one of the panels of the comic I am working on. I have removed the dialogue and such, but I kind of like the look of it as a portrait. The background is a public-domain image of a country sky at night. I'm not sure which one I like better... Any thoughts?

PortraitSGirl600.jpg
    599 x 494 - 335K
    KaraPortrait2.jpg
    424 x 600 - 221K
    edited December 1969

I like the 2nd one better as well. The hair seems to give it more interest or excitement.

Both are very nice.

• letseyletsey Posts: 2
    edited May 2014

this way sir, you were expedited!
    some after work with gimp

the_Gate3(800x566).jpg
    800 x 566 - 159K
    Post edited by letsey on