Using Categories to organize content

This is probably a simple question and my search is simply failing me.  Is there a good tutorial on how to use categories to organize content. Essentially, I want to creat folders were I can keep my favorite poses, characters, clothes, etc. etc.

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

What I do is create categories outside of the Default hierarchy.  Right-click on the space below Default and choose Create Category.  You can create whatever categories you want and arrange them however you like.  Go to the location of the files you want to put in your favorites categories (in Smart Content, the Categories under Default, DS-formats, Poser formats), right-click on the files you want, and choose Categorize, then tick whatever category or categories you want to put them in (this doesn't remove them from wherever they were before).  Any time you come across something you can categorize it.

• Red TurbanRed Turban Posts: 34

Brilliant. Thank you! I knew I was overthinking it. seems simple enough.

• HyeVltg3HyeVltg3 Posts: 75

Dont mean to necro a thread this old but google lead me here.

Whats the different between "Creating Category" and Creating a Category Path ?

Is there a way to backup categories ? is this backed up with Userdata Export when doing Content Dir Maintainance. 

• Where are you seeing those terms? I would expect a path to be more than one category, separated by /

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,249

They are in the pop-up menu from a right-click on any default or custom Category folder.

"Create a Sub-Category" in the current category folder.

"Create Category Path" loads the current category folder as an editable path string that you can extend, modify or replace. Accepts multiple paths separated by commas.

• Ah, thank you - I had, at best, forgotten that.

• HyeVltg3HyeVltg3 Posts: 75

Thanks!

I had forgotten I had asked this but asn @NorthOf45 said, its just lets you create a whole path of categories instead of 1 at a time. Pretty neat and great for organization. I was having a massive problem finding items that "should" be in my scene or finding Env/Props in the same theme of what scene I was making instead of relying on Memory of Author names and items.

• paidpaid Posts: 21

Just found this thread and have a question: If I categorize an asset of an vendor other than DAZ how can I provide a thumbnail in my own category for these assets?

• jjoynerjjoyner Posts: 474

paid said:

Just found this thread and have a question: If I categorize an asset of an vendor other than DAZ how can I provide a thumbnail in my own category for these assets?

I’ve done this hundreds of times for content that I've installed manually that I’ve gotten from Renderosity, ShareCG or even old content/Poser content in the DAZ3D store and from free holiday content at DAZ3D that does not show up in the Product Library.

• In most cases I save a promo image of the content item; if there is no promo image, or it is too small or otherwise undesirable, I render a simple image file.  I use JPG file format although you can use PNG, if desired.

• I then create a product from the manually installed files.  The product will not yet have a thumbnail image in the Content Library or in Smart Content; see the first screen capture.  Since content manually installed in Daz Studio comes without a thumbnail image, I use a copy of the saved promo image or rendered image.  Sometimes I decrease the size of the copy; it does not have to be 91 by 91 pixels.  I like it substantially larger so that when I hover over it in Smart Content or the Content Library I get a view larger than a 91 by 91 pixel image.

• To get the filename that is needed for the thumbnail that will be stored in the Runtime/Support folder, I edit the product metadata and copy the filename without the .dsx extension.  I then paste that as the filename for the copy of the promo image or rendered image that I am using for the thumbnail and then move the image file to Runtime/Support; see screen capture.

• I refresh the product list in Smart Content and the thumbnail displays.

Example.jpg
    727 x 705 - 134K
    Edit Metadata.jpg
    1010 x 797 - 176K
    Filename.jpg
    1731 x 666 - 207K
    Runtime-Support thumbnail file.jpg
    947 x 733 - 285K
    Popup Thumbnail.jpg
    1174 x 834 - 324K