A new version of Bryce is needed.

vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297
edited May 2020 in Bryce Discussion

Bryce is still stuck in the 32-bit, single-core processor era.

Vue, the product it was made to compete with, has adopted Adobe's abhorent "You don't get the buy the software, just rent it!" model.

So, the only two options for outdoor scene creation is:

1.) Deal with very old, creaky sofware.

2.) Pay-to-play on a monthly basis, for something current.

What is it going to take to get DAZ3D to release a new version of Bryce? Because we need an updated version now more than ever.

Post edited by vrba79 on

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Or for the existing, regular, happy, Brycers to carry on using the software that they have been happy using,  producing the artwork you can find in this forum,  with the render challenge on challenge number 41 and the render image thread on number 11,  100 pages to a thread, so 1100 pages of images in that thread alone.

• SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911
    vrba79 said:

Vue, the product it was made to compete with, has adopted Adobe's abhorent "You don't get the buy the software, just rent it!" model.

What is it going to take to get DAZ3D to release a new version of Bryce? Because we need an updated version now more than ever.

Already a good dozen times this topic is "chewed" here on the forum. Was there really a need to produce unnecessary thread instead of finding the right thread and writing your opinion there?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,823
    Slepalex said:
    vrba79 said:

Already a good dozen times this topic is "chewed" here on the forum. Was there really a need to produce unnecessary thread instead of finding the right thread and writing your opinion there?

ha but even Carrara got a 64bit before they abandoned development devil

I do wish DAZ would listen though even if you diehards love your 32bit heart

prefer they actually restarted development on Carrara though, we actually want it heart

Slepalex said:
    vrba79 said:

prefer they actually restarted development on Carrara though, we actually want it heart

You did not understand! Why clog the forum and produce the same topics?
    Find from a dozen such topics on the forum and express your wishes there.
    Similar wishes have been made hundreds of times. There were answers and discussions. Or are you so lazy?

In general, I suggest that the moderator remove this topic as a duplicate, or move it to the appropriate thread.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,823
    edited May 2020
    Slepalex said:
    Slepalex said:
    vrba79 said:

You did not understand! Why clog the forum and produce the same topics?
    Find from a dozen such topics on the forum and express your wishes there.
    Similar wishes have been made hundreds of times. There were answers and discussions. Or are you so lazy?

nah just too poor to buy a Mac and Artmatic Voyager laugh

I was not the OP BTW but am a Carrara user and we get the Carrara is dead posts but our united response is always we want DAZ to continue to develop it!

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,124
    edited May 2020

I heard rumors that Daz 3D does not intend to work on Bryce for the next 2 years. By the way, Bryce is not single core processor area. It renders on 8 processors and can network render.

Post edited by Horo on
  • vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297
    edited May 2020
    Chohole said:

Or for the existing, regular, happy, Brycers to carry on using the software that they have been happy using,  producing the artwork you can find in this forum,  with the render challenge on challenge number 41 and the render image thread on number 11,  100 pages to a thread, so 1100 pages of images in that thread alone.

This is about the attitude I've come to expect. "Shhh! Don't go asking for nice things! Just be happy with rickety old crap!"

The mods will probably go "Desenter! Disenting opinion! Get him!" and scrub my complaint anyway.

Post edited by vrba79 on
    Horo said:

I heard rumors that Daz 3D does not intend to work on Bryce for the next 2 years. 

And after two years for another ten. But it is not for sure!

• hergal3dhergal3d Posts: 26

Good morning to all Bryce's friends. I recently updated my pc with an I5 processor and 16 GB of ram to get some improvements in Bryce. Unfortunately this did not happen: Bryce crashes as before (with a G840 processor with 8 GB of ram). I'm really tired of creating beautiful scenes and then not being able to save them because Bryce crashes due to lack of memory! After many years the time has come for Daz 3D to rewrite Bryce's 64-bit code, or it is better that he no longer sellsitems on his software house.
    Sorry for my bad english.

• akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124
    hergal3d said:

I'm really tired of creating beautiful scenes and then not being able to save them because Bryce crashes due to lack of memory!

Did you make Bryce "Large Address Aware"? That improves ram usage a bit, though still not as much as we hope.

I don't know what else may help, perhaps saving scene into several parts and then merge it into one when loading - if anyone did that, please confirm if it works as workaround to reach limits.

akmerlow said:
    hergal3d said:

I'm really tired of creating beautiful scenes and then not being able to save them because Bryce crashes due to lack of memory!

Did you make Bryce "Large Address Aware"? That improves ram usage a bit, though still not as much as we hope.

I don't know what else may help, perhaps saving scene into several parts and then merge it into one when loading - if anyone did that, please confirm if it works as workaround to reach limits.

Hi, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, even with LA it doesn't change.. I tried to eliminate objects that are not seen in the scene, nothing to do ...

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,756
    edited May 2020

Hergal3d. Crashes in Bryce can come due to various reasons. I usually get them when I am impatient and click somewhere when it is still doing things. Of course, if the scene is too large, it may crash as well. There are ways to lower the weight of the scene. Several people have provided good advice here on the forum, but unfortunately, searching the forum is not very advanced. I know that lowering the texture sizes can be a very great help. Using procedural textures instead of picture textures wherever slightly possible is also a good idea. Deleting things that are not in the line of sight is indeed good as well. If you use people in clothing that covers large parts of their body, you could delete the body parts that are covered (not the clothing, of course). Anoter important technique is instancing. You can copy objects, but you can also make instances, which means that only location, rotation and size of the instanced objects (i.e. the 'matrix', I think in Bryce terms) need to be in memory. The other aspects (forms, polygons, textures) are stored only once and applied to all instances of the same object. This is very important to use when using e.g. trees or grass. There are various forum entries on instancing as well.

I hope the more experienced users that made such entries or tutorials can point you to the correct places/links.

Don't give up hope. Look at the wonderful works by people like Slepalex and adbc and others who are able to create wonderful and complex scenes in Bryce and still save and render them. If they can do it, you can as well.

Post edited by Hansmar on
    Hansmar said:

Hergal3d. Crashes in Bryce can come due to various reasons. I usually get them when I am impatient and click somewhere when it is still doing things. Of course, if the scene is too large, it may crash as well. There are ways to lower the weight of the scene. Several people have provided good advice here on the forum, but unfortunately, searching the forum is not very advanced. I know that lowering the texture sizes can be a very great help. Using procedural textures instead of picture textures wherever slightly possible is also a good idea. Deleting things that are not in the line of sight is indeed good as well. If you use people in clothing that covers large parts of their body, you could delete the body parts that are covered (not the clothing, of course). Anoter important technique is instancing. You can copy objects, but you can also make instances, which means that only location, rotation and size of the instanced objects (i.e. the 'matrix', I think in Bryce terms) need to be in memory. The other aspects (forms, polygons, textures) are stored only once and applied to all instances of the same object. This is very important to use when using e.g. trees or grass. There are various forum entries on instancing as well.

I hope the more experienced users that made such entries or tutorials can point you to the correct places/links.

Don't give up hope. Look at the wonderful works by people like Slepalex and adbc and others who are able to create wonderful and complex scenes in Bryce and still save and render them. If they can do it, you can as well.

Hi, thanks for your suggestions. I will try to lighten the scenes with the instances.

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    Slepalex said:
    vrba79 said:

This topic NEEDS to be chewed many many dozens of times more!  It is never unnecessary to put words to one's dissatisfaction.  The OP is not wrong here.  Bryce DESERVES to be upgraded.  Don't WE as faithful DAZ customers DESERVE the best?  I'm not shy; I think I deserve it.  I think the OP deserves it.

64 bit and bug fixes, at a minimum.  This is why I haven't hardly made a dent in the Gen 8 catalog yet.  It's because I want to see proper support for Bryce, Carrara, and Hexagon.  Real betas, with regular updates.  I want the support.  I deserve the support and so do you!.  And if we can't get that, then I want to know when Bryce will be allowed to go open-source.

I guess I'm just asking DAZ to either paint or get off the ladder.  wink