Newbie woes ...

Pascal ComicsPascal Comics Posts: 137
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I bought a bunch of stuff a few weeks ago. Installer worked OK . It only took me a few hours to track down the items in the database. (Can't wait for the next release to be ready!) Anyway, one item just couldn't be found. I really looked into every nook and cranny of the database but found nothing. I went back to my account and downloaded again. And again. Insall Manager did nada each time. Maybe the site was too busy. I tried every day for a week but no luck. I went back to the original page and took a good look at the "information" page and I discovered it was for Vue. I didn't really want to tell anyone about this.

Comments

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

I think we've all been there. I've sat on Poser only products for a year plus or so not realizing they were Poser only (it was when I was brand spankin' new and had no idea what worked in what). I finally bought Poser last year and can make use of products (or parts of bigger products) that I couldn't before.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582
    edited December 1969

If it's been less than 30 days you can return it. I also have items I bought when I was starting out that I can't use and didn't realize it before the 30 days was up.

• Pascal ComicsPascal Comics Posts: 137
    edited December 1969

(it was when I was brand spankin’ new and had no idea what worked in what).

Thanks for sharing. Now I can divulge that I spent another week trying to install flowers that were really 2d images. Please don't tell anyone.

edited December 1969

Thanks for sharing. Now I can divulge that I spent another week trying to install flowers that were really 2d images. Please don't tell anyone.

I won't tell if you don't tell anyone I spent days taking screenshots of the viewport and erasing the crosshairs before finding out you actually have to render.

edited May 2014

lmao

That one I can't say I've done. I've been doing digital art since 1998 when I got my first PC. It's only Daz/Poser I'm fairly new to (first purchase here was Feb 2012 (ignore my join date-I tried a VERY early version of DS and gave up promptly)).

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
    edited December 1969

I won't tell if you don't tell anyone I spent days taking screenshots of the viewport and erasing the crosshairs before finding out you actually have to render.
    ROFL

edited December 1969

If it’s been less than 30 days you can return it.

No way! It's a reminder. If I gave it back, I'd forget and do it again.

edited December 1969

I spent days taking screenshots of the viewport and erasing the crosshairs

You can erase the crosshairs?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,429
    edited December 1969

I spent days taking screenshots of the viewport and erasing the crosshairs

You can erase the crosshairs?

Cloning out in an image editor, I assume.

• ZelrothZelroth Posts: 910
    edited December 1969

I am not a newbie (wah!) but I still do "interesting" things trying to accomplish things. My usual blonde problem is that I can spend well over an hour (or two) trying to find an item in studio using smart content. Then when I get fed up and check DAZ's website, I find out either I'm looking for the product with the wrong figure selected, or checking DIM, I haven't installed it yet. Sometimes, I find I still have it in my cart. When I'm not acting quite as blond, I will try checking the content library before the website or DIM. But I am proud and accepting of who I am and I can use being blond as a poor excuse - it's better than I just didn't think it through or I was too stubborn to be smart. (or too tired)

edited December 1969

Zelroth said:
    I am not a newbie (wah!) but I still do "interesting" things trying to accomplish things. My usual blonde problem is that I can spend well over an hour (or two) trying to find an item in studio using smart content. Then when I get fed up and check DAZ's website, I find out either I'm looking for the product with the wrong figure selected, or checking DIM, I haven't installed it yet. Sometimes, I find I still have it in my cart. When I'm not acting quite as blond, I will try checking the content library before the website or DIM. But I am proud and accepting of who I am and I can use being blond as a poor excuse - it's better than I just didn't think it through or I was too stubborn to be smart. (or too tired)

I prefer to think of it as being "too smart to be smart" -- if I stop to think "what stupid thing might I have done" I wouldn't spend all that time working on the assumption that I hadn't done something stupid.

edited December 1969

I can spend well over an hour (or two) trying to find an item in studio using smart content.

Looks like you broke my speed record. I spent days looking for material presets that I bought for the Sub Dragon. I searched under every tab imaginable until my beard grew and obscured the keyboard. Guess where I found it. It was a Script. Why would anyone do that to another person? What's up with that? To run Daz, you need to memorize where everything is and remember it forever. I can't even remember where I put my reading glasses five minutes ago.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,970
    edited December 1969

If it’s been less than 30 days you can return it.

No way! It's a reminder. If I gave it back, I'd forget and do it again.

Dare I assume they are these then? ;)

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,874
    edited December 1969

I can spend well over an hour (or two) trying to find an item in studio using smart content.

Looks like you broke my speed record. I spent days looking for material presets that I bought for the Sub Dragon. I searched under every tab imaginable until my beard grew and obscured the keyboard. Guess where I found it. It was a Script. Why would anyone do that to another person? What's up with that? To run Daz, you need to memorize where everything is and remember it forever. I can't even remember where I put my reading glasses five minutes ago.

That's what the forums are for- to stop wasting time. Just ASK. It's probably been asked before, too! :)

• whispers65whispers65 Posts: 952
    edited December 1969

Trying to find anything has always been the bane of my Daz existence. It's not nearly as bad now as it used to be for me. I could before spend hours trying to find what I was looking for and eventually giving up til the next day. These days I have some shortcuts which helps the process but still it takes longer than I'd like.

• riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,405
    edited December 1969

Trying to find anything has always been the bane of my Daz existence. It's not nearly as bad now as it used to be for me. I could before spend hours trying to find what I was looking for and eventually giving up til the next day. These days I have some shortcuts which helps the process but still it takes longer than I'd like.

I have trouble finding things that don't have metadata. I still can't understand why a lot of older items that are clearly not poses are found in the Library's Pose folder. I've found a lot of materials there; it's as clear as mud.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722
    edited December 1969

Wow, can't imagine looking more than 5-10 minutes in DS for something in my libraries, then again, i install manually, don't use DIM, smart content or metadata. I can relate though, when I first starting using poser (poser 6) I was clueless as to the runtime structure and how it all worked

edited December 1969

That’s what the forums are for- to stop wasting time. Just ASK

You're absolutely right. But the last time I was stumped on another forum they told me :

"You probably have a virus. Re-install Windows and all your software. Report back here if you're still having problems."

I would rather poke my eye out with a soup ladle than to go through that. I know that would never happen here but you never know. :-)

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,937
    edited December 1969

...yeah I remember buying some really cool items when I first started that I discovered were for Carrara and Bryce. Didn't know about the return policy at the time. Wound up up getting both of those applications a bit later anyway during a one of the big sales events for almost next to nothing. Most Poser content works OK in Daz (unless it is specifically for a Poser figure), you just have to adjust the shaders, most often the Ambient, specular, and Reflection channels as well as the lighting model in the surfaces tab.

I always found it interesting that while the Daz figures (Vicky, Mike, Aiko, David, etc) work in Poser, Poser figures are incompatible with Daz.

I pretty much gave up on using Smart Content and went back to using the old tree structure I was used to in earlier versions after setting up a custom runtime structure. Have a lot of content from other stores as well as a boatload of freebies that have no metadata and not into messing with the DB trying to get it to show up.

My signature below says it all.

edited December 1969

I pretty much gave up on using Smart Content

Yes ... been there, done that. DAZ puts out an amazing product. I was floored when I rendered V5 for the first time with simple Viewport lights and default render settings right out of the box. Simply amazing. And they give the program away for free. That was a major bigtime business decision. If Content is their business model, then getting the content organized for their customers is vital. This includes a world-class online purchasing/account system and sophisticated content management . I see that DAZ is aware of this and is almost there. It can't happen fast enough for me.

edited December 1969

...I agree and this is why Daz became my application of choice.

Unlike with other software providers, you get the full application to play with for as long as you want. not just some hamstrung demo often with many features turned off that expires in 30 days. They also offer a basic free content pack so you have something to learn the basic aspects of scene building and rendering with before spending additional resources on content and plugins.

My only misgiving is that the basic body and head morphs for Genesis and G2F/M need to be purchased separately which makes working with the figures very limited.

• WahilWahil Posts: 307
    edited December 1969

After finding the render button, I was still taking screen shots because the Save and Save As file option only saved the image as a Daz Studio file. I need the image as a JPEG.

Kept wondering how people were able create such huge, high resolution jpeg images in the old forum gallery when the only option was a screen capture. LOL.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited May 2014

I found the render button pretty fast. The one that tripped me was render settings, I know I doodled at least I year before I found out all that could be changed. Many done in that same default setting same default size. I was in that How they doing those big Renders boat right with you...

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited May 2014

I was lucky ... I stumbled over DazStudio on a blog about beading - that included a basic tutorial
    http://sylviesbd.over-blog.com/9-categorie-266775.html
    and then found this one
    http://www.tuitzone.com/DazTut.html
    So I was covered as far as content and making my first render were concerned.

Post edited by Kerya on
  • CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,
    I think one of my very first posts on the forums was an anger-filled screed about how the lights I'd bought were terrible, I didn't understand how they could be sold when they rendered all dirty, and there should be a quality setting or SOMETHING that I could apply.

...followed quickly by @fixmypcmike or someone else with 'Moderator' next to their name pointing out that yes, in fact, there is a quality setting, it's a directory over (and shows up in Smart Content when you select the lights), and has ranges from draft to high quality.

A very chagrined fox slunk back to his DAZ Studio with his tail 'twixt his legs to go do that.

I'm not sure I want all my old posts to come back when the Forum gets reborn again... :red:

-- Morgan

• ZelrothZelroth Posts: 910
    edited May 2014

That’s what the forums are for- to stop wasting time. Just ASK

You're absolutely right. But the last time I was stumped on another forum they told me :

"You probably have a virus. Re-install Windows and all your software. Report back here if you're still having problems."

I would rather poke my eye out with a soup ladle than to go through that. I know that would never happen here but you never know. :-)

The problem (for me) with "just asking" is that it MAY have been asked before, so I will spend quite a while trying to search what I am looking for just so that I don't feel too much like a silly little hobbyist. I think that it is great that there is a search option for the forums. I just wish that the telepathic reader and analyzer would work so that it could figure out how to search for what I am looking for.

I got Studio quite a long time ago initially and it confused me. I didn't even know that rendering was possible. I just thought all it was good for was playing and posing. I was the same way with Poser 5. But the programs evolved and I learned and played. Now I stay current with Studio and have let my Poser updates stop at 7.

Post edited by Zelroth on
    edited December 1969

...in the old forums, the search function had several filters you could use. Hopefully when (if) they ever get the new forums up and running, we will have more search parameters available.