Help Feed the Toons

That Other PersonaThat Other Persona Posts: 381
edited May 2014 in Carrara Discussion

My Toon (Toon Generation from 3D Universe) characters are very hungry for Japanese food. While I've been able to find quite a few models online including the Daz store, there are a few models that I would still like to have. Hopefully, some of you can help me make these easily. I do not need high realism, but do want to be able to know what the characters are eating.

To start off with, I need a bowl of rice, a rice ball with seaweed, and something called tonkatsu. Photos can easily be found online, but modelling is a different beast.

My first attempt at a rice ball. The seaweed is too square, but I can work on that easily.

I used bump, but that creates craters. Is there any way to invert the bump?

riceball.jpg
300 x 225 - 31K
Post edited by That Other Persona on

Comments

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

yes. Click the top shader and slide the bump amplitude to the left. It's range is like -250 to +250 but you can type in higher and lower numbers...

Screen_Shot_2014-05-08_at_9.24_.55_PM_.png
    647 x 295 - 80K
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Now turn that Bump value into the same value, only negative. So it it's at 35, for example, switch it to -35 and see what happens. It should look pretty cool ;)

• That Other PersonaThat Other Persona Posts: 381
    edited May 2014

Thanks Holly that's a lot better. I can tweak it from there.

Edit: also thanks Dartanbeck!

riceball2.jpg
    300 x 225 - 21K
    edited December 1969

LOL! No idea you had post that, Holly :) I guess that great minds think alike! :)

edited December 1969

Thanks to both of you!

Trying a bowl of rice now. Not bad but could be better, maybe.

I created a quick bowl in the vertex modeller, textured the top lip in, then down. Tesselated and then extruded inward two time. Soft select and raise the lump. Apply shader with negative bump.

bowlrice.jpg
    300 x 225 - 27K
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

You might also consider modeling 2 or 3 simple grains of rice and replicating them on top of your rice ball. Just a thought.

edited December 1969

Now to tonkatsu. I would like to have something that looks like the one shown in Wikipedia: five slices. What that photo doesn't show is a sauce...

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    You might also consider modeling 2 or 3 simple grains of rice and replicating them on top of your rice ball. Just a thought.

I'll try that. Thanks.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited May 2014

Now to tonkatsu. I would like to have something that looks like the one shown in Wikipedia: five slices. What that photo doesn't show is a sauce...

Try searching google images. There's enough foodies snapping pictures of their french fries, I'm sure you can get some asian cuisine pictures. ;-)

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&q=tonkatsu+with+sauce&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited May 2014

Try searching google images. There's enough foodies snapping pictures of their french fries, I'm sure you can get some asian cuisine pictures. ;-)

There are tons of pics online. (and I can always run down the street to my local tonkatsu restaurant... I live in Japan).

How can I make the flaky breaded part? And make each slice so that they seem to have at one time been a whole piece?

Going to try thickness and then bump...

edited December 1969

Getting there. I decided to continue playing with bump, this time cellular.

jfoodseta.jpg
    500 x 375 - 141K
    edited December 1969

My suggestion would be to model the slices in either the vertex modeler or the Spline modeler, whichever you're more familiar with. Shade the sliced portion your meat color and the outside edge a color similar to what you want the browned flakes to be. Next, you'll need some Planko crumbs, so probably another trip to the vertex or spline modeler to make those. You'll probably want two or three simple shapes to add variety. Add a surface replicator (or more) and add the slices as the surface. Add the Planko crumbs to be replicated and define the area where they're to be replicated by the browned shading domain.

In my example I used the spline modeler, but there isn't anything inherently easier about it. I used the side face shading domain as the replicated surface. I used the same shader for both the Planko flakes and the side of the pork.

Picture_4.png
    976 x 749 - 94K
    Picture_3.png
    287 x 279 - 30K
    Picture_2.png
    238 x 214 - 12K
    Picture_1.png
    438 x 434 - 75K
  • wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

This thread is making me hungry.

edited December 1969

Getting there. I decided to continue playing with bump, this time cellular.

I was working on an example when you posted this. Yours looks very 'toony which is meant as a compliment. The thread is about feeding 'toons after all! The one I was working on was a bit more realistic.

edited December 1969

This thread is making me hungry.

For Teppenyaki (or however it is spelled)!

edited December 1969

This is what I came up with.

tonkatsu.jpg
    640 x 480 - 114K
    edited December 1969

Very, very nice!

I can't resist any longer... going off for lunch now!

edited December 1969

Also consider running a few renders with the Toons in the image. You might find that, what might not look so convincing as the feature of the shot, might look perfect as what it is meant to be... nourishment for your Toons! :ahhh:

edited May 2014

Remade the rice ball and the tonkatsu; I'm happy with them.

Still working on the bowl of rice... using the bump only got so far and basically looked like shaped porridge.

Today I will jump into the surface replicator.

edited May 2014

A little bit of work wight the replicator gives me this. For now this will do... The old "porridge" is in the background.

new_rice.jpg
    640 x 480 - 154K
    edited December 1969

Also consider running a few renders with the Toons in the image. You might find that, what might not look so convincing as the feature of the shot, might look perfect as what it is meant to be... nourishment for your Toons! :ahhh:

And here it is. Found I needed a light bulb set to only shine on the rice bowl.

tooneat.jpg
    640 x 480 - 100K
    edited May 2014

Now just make little lumps of each that you parent to the end of one of the chopsticks. Make them invisible until he goes for one of them. He grabs at the food with the chopsticks, make that type of chunk of food visible as he picks it up. Make it invisible again after he puts it in his mouth, etc.,

EDIT:
    BTW... very cool!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited May 2014

Good idea. I'll try that when I get around to animating.

I'm now thinking about adding some sliced cabbage, either under or beside the tonkatsu or both with a morph target(?).

Will probably end up doing it manually in the vertex modeller.

BTW. This is what I had for lunch yesterday; tray of rice not shown. This is a typical tonkatsu bento bought at a bento shop here in Japan. Under the grease trap paper there are some spaghetti noodles.

222b.jpg
    640 x 480 - 137K
    edited December 1969

Nice Render! Looks like a photograph! ;)

edited December 1969

Nice Render! Looks like a photograph! ;)

Great job on the food, but I don't like the plate. It looks a little styro-foamey.... ;-)

edited May 2014

Ahh, the image of my lunch... that IS a photograph. If only I was so good as to be able to model that in Carrara!

When I buy and eat those at home, I transfer everything to a real plate; the styrofoam makes, well a styrofoamy noise that drives me nuts.

Ten minutes after that photo, the styrofoam was basically the only thing remaining. I even went back for seconds.

BTW Thanks to all for the replies and help; I am slowly learning.

• Digging up an old thread because my toons are hungry again!  For more Japanese food.  [Recently a new toon food set appeared on the Daz store... my toonns have already devoured it!]

For a little fun, Google "Japan food display", click on images, and take a peek at the array.  It really is amazing.  These models will often be displayed in the windows of restaurants so you can see what you are going to get.  They are absolutely incredible.

Now that everybody is hungry (like my toons), I need some ideas on how to craft a few dishes.

Any ideas for making these:  ???  [Simple is fine, and still probably above my skill level]

(1)  ramen  (google ramen japan, as I don't want the instant variety we all survived on in college, well, at least I did)

Use the vertext modeler to create a strand and then spend a lot of time bending and twisting multiple copies?

(2)  curry rice  (Google curry rice japan for the right look) 

For the curry, I am thinking to use a particle emitter set with metaballs.  I did this successfully for a sauce dripped over the tonkatsu.  Chunks of meat can be done with vertext modeler and a shader from a steak model I have.

There may be more later but this should start rounding out my food collection.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989
    edited March 2017

I had salmon sushi rolls for lunch yesterday whilst shopping yes

Sushi Roll.jpg
    640 x 480 - 122K
    Post edited by Stezza on