Buy Aiko 5 or wait for Aiko 6?

XoechZXoechZ Posts: 1,102
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hello!

Well, the title says it all :-) But I would like to hear your opinions and suggestions. So, should I buy Aiko 5 ( http://www.daz3d.com/aiko-5 ) right now, or should I wait for Aiko 6?

That means, will there be an Aiko 6 figure and is it worth waiting for her, or is Aiko 5 the better (or only) choice?

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

At the moment A5 is the only choice that anyone knows of. The only people who would know any different are all tucked in the DAZ 3D dev office, and they sure as hell won't be sharing any knowledge, be it negative or positive.

• XoechZXoechZ Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

Aiko 5 is not really cheap for my budget, and I simply do not want to buy her twice (5 and 6). A6 would have some advantages with clothing (G1 clothes via AutoFit) and would maybe look even better than A5 - maybe, I am just guessing about this. So if there is A6 on the way in the near future, I wait. But if there are no plans for A6 yet, I do not wait any longer and grab A5.

• RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited May 2014

You probably won't get an official answer on this one, but rumor has it that someone stumbled upon an item in the wiki for a certain anime girl (see link) - before you search for it, it disappeared again, so it is probably hidden. Now whether this is Aiko 6 or not I cannot exactly tell from this, but just judging from how successful Aiko 5 appeared to have been (a bundle that stayed in the "Top Sellers" list for a long time), it is likely in good commercial interest to have an Aiko 6 release.

That having been said, I personally love the Aiko 5 shape, so if Genesis is used a lot she might even be worthwhile getting regardless. Even if / when Aiko 6 appears, it will likely take some time and how such a shape may look like (more realistic, more manga, etc.) is unknown to the public anyway. Giselle 6 comes very, very likely first.

Post edited by Renpatsu on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

a true Aiko connoisseur ;) needs all the Aikos, including Aiko19 :lol:

and a cute schoolmate for Aiko is Terai Yuki2

edited December 1969

Thanks so far!

But let me ask some more please.

I just discovered this product: http://www.daz3d.com/generation-5-legacy-shapes-for-genesis-2-female

It contains the Aiko 5 shape for G2F among with other Gen5 shapes. This sounds cool. Of course I do not get the original skin textures, but I get all the shapes for a much lower price compared to the full figures.

But before buying I want to know more about this shapes:
    - are they really accurate? So do they look exactly the same as the original figures? Or maybe even better because I was told that G2F has a better geometry.
    - are there any downsides with those shapes compared to the full figures (besides not having the original skin textures)?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited May 2014

Here this may help this is M4, then Genesis 1 M4 and last G2M M4 to me thay all look useful.

M4s.png
    1280 x 720 - 338K
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited May 2014

This is A5 on the left and Genesis 2 Female with A5 Legacy on the right. The pose is a A5 pose, so there is some inaccuracy from the pose conversion, too. The skin texture used is A5 on both.

Edit to add: If you need the A5 UV set on G2F (for certain A5 textures), then there is this product: Generation 5 UV Bundle for Genesis 2 Female(s). Though as you don't own A5 (and probably no A5 character), this doesn't sound like something you'd need.

In general I like the A5 pro bundle due to the items included as well, but if it is basically just the shape you are after then the legacy A5 shape is more than sufficient.

A5_versus_G2F_Legacy_A5.png
    565 x 800 - 302K
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

Renpatsu said:
    This is A5 on the left and Genesis 2 Female with A5 Legacy on the right. The pose is a A5 pose, so there is some inaccuracy from the pose conversion, too. The skin texture used is A5 on both.

she's just too cute, can't stand it sometimes :lol: she makes the cutest kitteh girl too

edited December 1969

Thank you very much!!!

So, in my opinion, buying the shapes pack would be the better and cheaper option because you get more for less money :-)

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,800
    edited May 2014

You know, I can never really see the distinct differences between the Gen 4, G1, and G2 versions of the same characters. Granted, I can see VERY subtle differences in the smoothing due to higher poly mesh, but I don't see why it would matter. In fact, I find the legacy shapes are served better justice on G2 than their original Gen 4 figures!

But as for Aiko 6, yes, the page is gone, but the ReadMe was called “Xiao Mei’s Finery HD for Aiko 6 and Genesis 2 Female(s)”. So, it looks like she's going to come after Giselle.

Post edited by RCDeschene on
    edited May 2014

... But as for Aiko 6, yes, the page is gone, but the ReadMe was called “Xiao Mei’s Finery HD for Aiko 6 and Genesis 2 Female(s)”. So, it looks like she's going to come after Giselle.

:) :) :)

Sorry, had to... :) Oooh, still in Google cache by the by ;)

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,281
    edited December 1969

The thing about Aiko (and Hiro as well), is that each new iteration seems to be a fairly radically different style. They're all stylized, but they are stylized in different directions.

The gen3 versions were (and remain!) wildly popular -- particularly when given the Thorne treatment. Gen4 was used *a lot* to blend into the Michael and Victoria bases to build new characters, but was rarely used on it own because apparently people just didn't much like them on their own. Gen5 was much more popular on its own than Gen 4, but hasn't really been around over the long haul yet. And the shapes, particularly the faces of the default figures are all very different from one another. There is no telling what direction Gen 6 is going to go off in. It may be something different yet.

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited May 2014

a true Aiko connoisseur ;) needs all the Aikos, including Aiko19 :lol:

and a cute schoolmate for Aiko is Terai Yuki2

Agreed! They're different styles of Japanese-styled characters, as are BelBel and ChibiBel, Hitomi, Kururu, MayaDoll, Deco, and NearMe (available at Content Paradise, if I'm not mistaken). They all have a place in the manga-fan's runtime.

(looks at own avatar image) Mind you, I'm biased here. ;-P

Post edited by robkelk on
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

Since Hiro 5 and Aiko 5 did not match stylistically I chose to not bother getting either, I am happy with the legacy A3 & H3 and A4 & H4 shapes for Genesis.

edited December 1969

jestmart said:
    Since Hiro 5 and Aiko 5 did not match stylistically I chose to not bother getting either, I am happy with the legacy A3 & H3 and A4 & H4 shapes for Genesis.

True, but H5 does compliment Hitomi, who's basically an honorary Gen 5 character.
    edited December 1969

JOdel said:
    The thing about Aiko (and Hiro as well), is that each new iteration seems to be a fairly radically different style. They're all stylized, but they are stylized in different directions.

Actually, I know a couple of fellow DAZer's who I've actually had this discussion with before. They both think that's there's really not much difference at all between the generations of Aiko & Hiro.

I remember them saying something to the effect of "Granted I'll give that A5 & H5 are distinctly different from the others, including each other, but if you strip Gens 3 & 4 to their basic mesh, they're basically the same shapes with only SLIGHTLY different sculpting." I've even seen other members here point that out as well.

• riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,405
    edited December 1969

XoechZ said:
    Hello!

Well, the title says it all :-) But I would like to hear your opinions and suggestions. So, should I buy Aiko 5 ( http://www.daz3d.com/aiko-5 ) right now, or should I wait for Aiko 6?

That means, will there be an Aiko 6 figure and is it worth waiting for her, or is Aiko 5 the better (or only) choice?

The Countdown to Summer banner on the Shop page does say that Aiko 6 is coming in June. Beyond that, nothing has really been said about the figure that I've seen. If Aiko 5 isn't on sale right now, I'd wait a few weeks and see which one I like better.