The Content Library

Nyghtfall3DNyghtfall3D Posts: 765
edited May 2014 in The Commons

I started dabbling in 3D art with DS 3.1 in 2006. After coming to grips with how to manage content, I created my first series of renders in 2009. A year later, I switched to Poser for its advanced lighting system, streamlined UI, and enormous community support.

Last October, I started seeing a lot of Genesis content I wanted to use. I re-installed DS, and wound up with a headache trying to re-acquaint myself with its content library. So, I gave the DSON importer a whirl. It proved relatively simple to use, and resulted in this render.

While my brief experience with the importer was relatively trouble-free, I understand it has a few techniical limitations that I would rather avoid. So, I've decided to use Genesis with the program it was designed for, and add DS back to my toolkit. I'll just have to overcome the challenge of re-adapting to its content system.

Keep in mind, I have no interest in using the Install Manager. I prefer manually installing content so I'll know precisely where everything is.

Here's my first question:

My understanding of Runtime folders is that the very concept is exclusive to Poser. I also understand Genesis was written exclusively for DS. So, why is there a Runtime folder with Genesis content inside the Library?

EDIT: To be clear, I'm using DS 4.6 Pro.

Post edited by Nyghtfall3D on

Comments

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,670
    edited May 2014

ah.. the files in Duf format are in under "\my documents\my library" when viewing the content library in Daz Studio 4.x.

As for the reason, I have no idea.

edit: The default location for studio 3 files (pz2, obj.. ect) are in \program files\Daz Studio 3\content or something similar.

daz_studio_5.jpg
    631 x 355 - 65K
    Post edited by starionwolf on
  • Nyghtfall3DNyghtfall3D Posts: 765
    edited December 1969

Is it possible to keep content off the C drive? I have a separate HDD for 3D art software and content.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

You should be able tell the DIM, the installer or your unzip app where to place the files. I don't use the DIM but someone should be able to tell you how to change the installation folder. If it has an installer use a custom path rather than the default path and point the installation to the folder you want it in. The unzip app should ask where you want to unzip the file to. Again, point it at the folder you want to install to.

If all else fails, install to a temp folder and move things manually.

I keep all of my external runtimes on separate drive from the main Poser app. This was a habit picked up the P5 days. If P5 had a catastrophic crash, it was known to kill any runtimes on the same drive.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited May 2014

All my content folders are on the D Drive. That is covered above, the location has never mattered from DS3 and above.
    The Reason for the Poser type Runtime in the DAZ Studio Content folder is because until Genesis most content sold still used the Poser type files such as CR2's and PP2's and so on, and those files can still be bought. To allow the DAZ Studio users to keep using all of their older content or New to them but older content in just one Content folder, as it has always been done, DAZ Studio still has the Runtime as a folder in its folder structure.

EDIT to ADD: DAZ Studio started life as a Poser content only use App. It has always used a Runtime.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

the runtime folder in DS holds the texture folder and a support folder.

the other folder you can't mess with is the \data folder. i've re-org'd around most every other folder.

i installed DS and Carrara to a partition on my hd. E:\ been doing it that way since poser 3, so relative path or literal path my old saved files can find all the textures.

• Nyghtfall3DNyghtfall3D Posts: 765
    edited December 1969

I bought a copy of The Complete Guide to DAZ Studio 4, by Paolo Ciccone. The chapter on the content library is fantastic. I have a much better understanding of it now.