Unshaven Beard for Genesis uses massive resources

SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
edited May 2014 in Carrara Discussion

http://www.daz3d.com/unshaven-beard-for-genesis

OK, maybe now I know why it was marked down, Plat or not, I only paid $8.73 and not $24.95.

The file on my product library page says it's about 234mb. I loaded a Michael 5 into a blank scene...he took up 40mb. Well, I put the beard on him as below and even with my 16mb memory, it took about 20 mins to save. I was shocked to come back and see my file is now 1.16GB !!

WTF? The below is not the render which almost looks the same, to be honest,

It has a lot of parameters for length and shape etc. I only applied two. Even when shorter it still took up a lot of space. There's arm and leg and chest hair too... wished I hadn't bothered as I've done lots of beards in Carrara Hair, just thought this might be faster...NOT!

I think doing beards with Carrara Hair will look as good and take up a lot less file space. I haven't even started on this scene yet. What is it about this product that makes such a big file if any of you know about it?

:smirk: xx Silene

2-beard.png
393 x 453 - 250K
Post edited by SileneUK on

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,910
    edited December 1969

How many poly is the beard. The bigger the object the more resources it uses.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited May 2014

Frank0314 said:

It is not a vertex object with polygons.

Sorry, I don't know the term, but it's all square dots when I can get to see it in the Model Room.

I closed the file and am reopening it now... this beards getting the chop!

:( Silene

ETA: Here's the dots when I click on Actor and it goes to the Model Room. I am not familiar with this format and just assumed it'd be a poly model like hair is.

And the stats....guess they are vertices/polys/edges, wish it wasn't so hungry!

4.png
    245 x 168 - 12K
    3-beard_dots.png
    1137 x 701 - 27K
    Post edited by SileneUK on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

laurenwbr said:
    Frank0314 said:

It is not a vertex object with polygons.

Sorry, I don't know the term, but it's all square dots when I can get to see it in the Model Room.

I closed the file and am reopening it now... this beards getting the chop!

:( Silene

ETA: Here's the dots when I click on Actor and it goes to the Model Room. I am not familiar with this format and just assumed it'd be a poly model like hair is.

And the stats....guess they are vertices/polys/edges, wish it wasn't so hungry!

The fact that you're in the vertex modeler means it is a vertex model and according to the stats it has 175,328 polygons. My guess is that it is generated in another program that generates hair and can export as a .obj file which would make it a vertex object. I know there is/was a plugin for Studio that acted similar to Carrara's hair system when creating the style, then to actually render it in Studio it had to be converted to either Renderman Curves or to a .obj file. It couldn't be animated and it sounded like it couldn't be edited with the plugin after it was converted, although that may have changed or I could have read the description wrong.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

The crappy look of the hair is probably because the shaders were created for Studio and may use functions that don't translate into Carrara properly. If you decide to keep it, there are probably settings you could tweak to get it to look better, such as the Highlight/Shininess and adding translucency.

If it were me, I would take advantage of DAZ's 30 day return policy. If you create a beard or other patches of body hair you like in Carrara, you can always save them to your Objects Browser, by dragging the hair and dropping it on the appropriate directory.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited December 1969

The crappy look of the hair is probably because the shaders were created for Studio and may use functions that don't translate into Carrara properly. If you decide to keep it, there are probably settings you could tweak to get it to look better, such as the Highlight/Shininess and adding translucency.

If it were me, I would take advantage of DAZ's 30 day return policy. If you create a beard or other patches of body hair you like in Carrara, you can always save them to your Objects Browser, by dragging the hair and dropping it on the appropriate directory.

Oh I didn't know there was a no quibble return option. I've only ever returned something once that was incorrectly labelled as being for DAZ when it was actually for Bryce. This is just TOO memory hungry and I can do better that this (which looks so clunky as you say), even as a beginner, with Carrara Hair for beards, eyebrows, even eyelashes now!

Thanks for the heads up on the return policy... great!

xx :) Silene