How many UV sets for Genesis 2?

jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I'm curious...how many different UV sets are there for the Genesis 2 figure and its add on characters?

I know there is the Genesis 2 Base female, and there is the V6 UV set. But did all the rest of the characters - Olympia, Gia, Gianni etc - get their OWN uv sets?

Comments

• XoechZXoechZ Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

Yes. I believe that every DAZ original figure has its own UV set. However they are not much different. That means, applying a V6 texture on Olympia or a G6 texture on Gia or whatever, works without any issues. The differences are too small to be visible - at least for my eyes :-)

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

that's what i was curious about. Hmm...so if I bought a texture that came out with say, the Gia bundle for instance...as in, a character for her...without the Gia figure, the morphs won't work correctly, I get that...but will the skin texture work on Genesis 2 itself? I know some vendors base tehir skin textures on the Gen2 base UV which is awesome....but I was actually under the impression that every new figure for Genesis 2 has it's own UV. Good to know. :D Thanks.

edited December 1969

jakiblue said:
    that's what i was curious about. Hmm...so if I bought a texture that came out with say, the Gia bundle for instance...as in, a character for her...without the Gia figure, the morphs won't work correctly, I get that...but will the skin texture work on Genesis 2 itself?

Correct. I never had any problems doing that. You can also apply any V5 based texture to any G2F character as long as it is saved in .duf format.
    You can also use V4 textures on any G2F figure if you have this product: http://www.daz3d.com/victoria-4-for-genesis-2-female
    The textures also have to be saved in .duf format.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

the problem is, it generally doesn't say on product pages WHAT uv set is used.

I've got that product...keep forgetting i have it. LOL

edited December 1969

Yes, thats true. But the methods described above give you a great flexibility in using different textures on different figures. I wish it would be the same with other items like clothes (especially shoes!) and morphs.

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,419
    edited May 2014

XoechZ, this product is really useful. I made a Genesis .duf library for all my favourite V4 and M4 skins, and use them on G2F/G2M. Works perfectly.

Post edited by caravelle on
    edited December 1969

polka dot said:
    XoechZ, this product is really useful. I made a Genesis .duf library for all my favourite V4 and M4 skins, and use them on G2F/G2M. Works perfectly.

Correct :-)
    I did the same. Converting the textures takes some time if you have really many of them, but it only has to be done once and then you have them forever.

edited May 2014

For everyone who reads this and does not know how to convert older texture presets to the new .duf format, here is how its done:

- load the texture preset you want to convert on any V4 or Genesis 1 figure (Genesis 1 works, because it can use V4 skins by default)
    - either keep it as it is, or do some tweaking in the Surfaces Tab (some older texture presets are optimized for Poser, so they need a bit of tweaking to look good in DAZ Studio - like lowering Specularity and Glossiness)
    - with the V4 or Genesis 1 figure selected (both in the Scene and Surfaces Tab) go to Edit - Save as.. - Material Preset

DAZ Studio will save the preset in .duf format and from now on you can use this preset file to apply the texture on any G2F figure.

And please remember: If you are converting a texture preset that uses a V4 UV map (this can be seen in the Surfaces Tab), you need this product: http://www.daz3d.com/victoria-4-for-genesis-2-female
    to use it on a G2F figure.
    If the texture uses a V5 UV map, no additional producs are needed, you just have to do the converting.

Edit: Of course it works in the same way for male textures. M4 - M5 (Genesis 1) - G2M

Post edited by XoechZ on
  • caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,419
    edited December 1969

XoechZ said:
    - either keep it as it is, or do some tweaking in the Surfaces Tab (some older texture presets are optimized for Poser, so they need a bit of tweaking to look good in DAZ Studio - like lowering Specularity and Glossiness)
    I used Uber Surface for a V4 skin which didn't look good on G1/G2. Perfect, if you reduce the Velvet Strength a bit.
  • icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

By default, the Genesis base uses the V4 uv map.

G2F base uses the V5 uv map created specifically for V5 by default. The G2M bases likewise uses the M5 uv map by default.

All morph sets of both Genesis and G2F/M bases have their own unique uv's as well as the default uv's.

Although I think the Gen 5 teens may be an exception to the rule. Something about their morphs and S5 mapping.