Moving my content to a different drive

2»

Comments

• gfdamron1gfdamron1 Posts: 147
    edited August 2022

robertswww, when I go to C:\Users\myname\Documents\DAZ3D\Studio\MyLibrary, the folder is empty. Is that the file path you were referring to?

Do I understand that the library that I manually load content into (that I access through file explorer) a different library from what DIM uses?

I have a feeling I'm using the wrong Library for my manually installed content.

Post edited by gfdamron1 on

PerttiA, thanks for the information and the screen shot.

When I open Content Directory Manager, all the drives are still showing as C drive.

• robertswwwrobertswww Posts: 769
    edited August 2022

@gfdamron1 Launch Daz Install Manager (DIM) and click the Gear icon in the upper-right corner and choose Advanced Settings. Go to the Installation tab. At the bottom you will see the Recommended Path (for DIM installs)... It should be C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library

Now, click the (+) button at the bottom to add a Path shortcut to your External Drive and click Accept when finished.

You have options on where to install 3rd-Party content, but it's nice to keep DIM installs separate from Manual installs. I put my 3rd Party content on an External drive and Map the Directory/folder in Content Directory Manager.

If you open Content Directory Manager (CDM) and all the directories still point to your C-drive, then you need to click Daz Studio Formats and then click the Add button on the left and point it to your external drive folder.  Once that is done, Daz Studio will be able to fiind/see your content on the external drive (in addition to any Daz content on your C-drive).

Post edited by robertswww on
    edited September 2022

Robertswww, it turns out that all the directories in Content Directory Manager were still pointing to C-drive. I added the external drive as you explained. DAZ now sees my manual installs!

At first I thought having separate libraries for DIM installed content and manually installed content was going to be an issue, but actually it isn't. I'm happy with how the laptop is set up now.

Thanks so much for all the help!

Post edited by gfdamron1 on
  • @gfdamron1 Glad to hear you were able to map your external drive successfully!

If you use any older content, you should also repeat the directory mapping process in Content Directory Manager for "Poser Formats".
    NOTE: To map a new Poser folder, it usually requires you to first add an empty Runtime folder to it.

If you want to install content via DIM, just folow the steps at the beginning of my post above, to add the same external folder(s) paths to DIM.  Then you just have to remember to select which folder you would like to install content to via the DIM drop-down box (i.e. Content Path Shortcuts) at the bottom of the "Ready to Download" tab.