May Mayhem alright, San Diego is burning

Dream CutterDream Cutter Posts: 1,222
edited May 2014 in The Commons

The 7th active wildfire has just been announced in the county today. A fire that started just this morning in Carlsbad CA has consumed 30+ homes and its now an inferno. People have been evacuated and no causalities thank goodness. Both N/S main highways into the region have been closed at times due to fire jumping 8 lanes.
Its fourth day of 90f+ degrees, very dry and breezy. Its only May. God only knows what August will bring to California.

its May Mayhem alright.

Post edited by Dream Cutter on

Comments

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157
    edited December 1969

I'm in Redwood City, CA. It's hotter than Antonio Banderas here. I kept the house in darkness all day long and kept the fans running to keep the air moving. Luckily I was able to get most of my important on line stuff done this AM when it was cooler and then left about 12:30 for the gym and errands. Decided to treat myself to lunch so I could soak up some more air conditioning. and walked in the door slightly after 5. Sitting here NOT dying but it's really really hot! Funny thing is I'm from Florida, Bradenton originally so you would think my body would be used to hot climates but it's not. My body HATES the heat! HATES IT!

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

I hate it too, and I'm on the Right Coast. It's gotten pretty damned hot and HUMID here in NY the past few summers. I'm not looking forward to it at all. ~shakes head no~

edited December 1969

OMG.. your in NY?? You poor dear. I remember those hot humid nights in Florida. Take a shower to cool off, towel off and your wet in like a minute. I think that's where my addiction to fans started when I was a boy. I run very hot anyways so not helpful having a body that's hot surrounded by allot of heat. CA is dryer but the heat still kills me.

• NoName99NoName99 Posts: 322
    edited December 1969

The 7th active wildfire has just been announced in the county today. A fire that started just this morning in Carlsbad CA has consumed 30+ homes and its now an inferno. People have been evacuated and no causalities thank goodness. Both N/S main highways into the region have been closed at times due to fire jumping 8 lanes.
    Its fourth day of 90f+ degrees, very dry and breezy. Its only May. God only knows what August will bring to California.

its May Mayhem alright.

I saw this on the news, it looked unreal.
    It's dry already here in LA too, I think it's going to be a dangerous summer for SoCal.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    OMG.. your in NY?? You poor dear. I remember those hot humid nights in Florida. Take a shower to cool off, towel off and your wet in like a minute. I think that's where my addiction to fans started when I was a boy. I run very hot anyways so not helpful having a body that's hot surrounded by allot of heat. CA is dryer but the heat still kills me.

I have family in Tucson, and the heat never bothered me when I went to visit. It's the humidity that's a killer, so I stay in A/C as much as possible, and try not to go outdoors much, unless absolutely necessary, during the summer months.
    edited December 1969

I surely understand.

Suzanne, a gal I work with says that she has a fabulous air conditioner that's "in the window'' and can cool a room 1200 square feet, about $700.00 but on heat wave days like this it would so worth the purchase. She's going to send me the information when she gets home tonight. Maybe I can get it for less on Amazon and if it's Prime I get free shipping. I have my fingers crossed.