Turn off sections of target for collision settings

It seems like an obvious thing, but how many times have your jeans leapt out and swallowed your hand when you lay it on your thigh? We need some way to modify collision settings to something more granular than "target: G3F." One simple mod might be for a clothing item to ignore body parts that it doesn't have - pants don't have arms, shirts don't have legs, so why do pants try to wrap around a hand placed on a figure's hip? Maybe streamline the process by making it possible to select a root group to ignore and tell it to also ignore all the child groups, so instead of checking off fingers, hands, forearms, shoulders, etc., you could just select "collar" and it would ignore everything that follows it.

Comments

• mlominymlominy Posts: 218
    edited June 2020

As you say, this would be a very useful feature to get, and your proposition to be able to select groups to be ignored is interesting.

In the mean time, here is my work-around: In the case of pants or skirts, I pose the lower body first (the parts that are normally supposed to collide with the cloth). If the pose affects the whole body ie the arms and hands, I just move them away so no part of the arm touches the cloth. 

I then export the cloth as obj, then import the obj back into DAZ. I copy the surface of the original cloth and paste them to the obj. Now, erase the original cloth and pose the upper body or bring the arms and hands back to the final position. 

As long as you don't move body parts from the waist down, the obj will show exactly as the original cloth. However, it wont collide with any body part that touches it as it now behaves as a static object or prop. The only inconvenient is that if you modify the position of the lower limbs you'll likely get poke-through and will have to do this process again...

Post edited by mlominy on
  • PtropePtrope Posts: 681
    edited June 2020

Nice workaround! Might have to try that - and as you say, it's inconvenient if you want to modifiy the pose that it covers.

I suppose if one weren't concerned about resources (HAH!!), one could duplicate the figure and parent the duplicate, say, to the hip, make parts of the target figure you don't want to affect the collision invisible, and do the reverse with the duplicated figure, i.e. hip down is one figure with the skirt or pants conformed, lower abdomen up is the duplicate figure with the top conformed. Then both figures remain poseable, and you can duplicate the pose of the target figure to the dupe, then move the unwanted body parts of the target out of the collision zone. Not pretty, but it might work.

Yeah, we definitely need to be able to turn off collision with specific body parts in a single figure ... wink

Post edited by Ptrope on