"old" figure shapes for Genesis, how do these work in Carrara?

wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

These are in the Fast Grab... do they work? How well do they work? (the page implies they don't work in Carrara). I have never even installed genesis....

Can I use my Mill3 morphs with these..., or is it just the base shape of that figure and I must use Genesis morphs on top of these figure shapes?

Am I basically able to dress Genesis in my Mill3 clothes? Then morph the Genesis figure and the clothes with the Autofit thing?

http://www.daz3d.com/fast-grab-3d-models/v3-and-m3-shapes-for-genesis

Maybe I could start using Genesis, but I need to know what I can carry over from my existing characters. Or am I basically starting over from scratch with Genesis and adding my extensive clothing collection from this generation?

Do I want this? LOL

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited May 2014

I must admit, I haven't installed much of my Generation 3 clothing yet. But yeah... you get:
    The ability to turn Genesis into the base shape of the figure in question, using the UVs of which ever version of Genesis you've started from. So for example, you could begin with Basic Male granting M4 UVs (so you can use any M4 texture maps) and then dial everything to 0.00 and make it into M3 if you wanted, or any other shape you have.

Generation 3 Morph packs made for Generation 3 figures will NOT work on Genesis, however, But Genesis offers many morphs out of the box, but the Body and Head morphs packs are the bomb! They are what will give you all of the characteristic changes like you used to get in morph packs from other figures. Creature Creator for Genesis is also a big shape changer must have, if you like making creatures, aliens, etc.,

AutoFit will now allow you to select the new generation that you've installed, allowing for fit-to of your Generation 3 clothing collection. This really rocks, and is the main reason why I bought all of the generation shapes packs. It doesn't matter what shape you make Genesis, to a degree. If you get a little poke through putting on V3 clothes and then morphing to a colossus behemoth, try not to get too offended. But often times the fit will still work - especially if you're using male clothes for a male shape. But you can even use male clothes on a female and vice versa.

But also, having the extra shapes is nice too ;)

If I said something that might seem unclear, please ask. The only thing that I recall you asking about that doesn't work are the use of generation 3 morph changes for Generation 3 figure on Genesis. I don't know why they don't yet claim that this also works in Carrara 8.5, I'll have to ask someone that. When I go to auto fit clothing, I get a full choice of all Generation 3 and 4 figures, asking whom the clothing was intended for, and then what type of item it is. The technology is priceless in my opinion. That reminds me that there are Generation 3 clothing items that I still wish to buy :) Thanks Holly!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • eyeseeeyesee Posts: 172
    edited May 2014

Hi Holly,

I haven't got the V3 to Genesis, but the V4 to Genesis. Hadn't tried it till seeing your post and it works fine putting Shadow Dancer for V4 on Genesis in Carrara.

You have to be careful if you want your clothes to fit the new shape that a clone is included, which it is in the converter you've selected.
    Some just allow you to morph to older shapes like - http://www.daz3d.com/generation-5-legacy-shapes-for-genesis-2-male but without the clone the clothes will not morph.

EDIT: I bow to Dartanbeck's experience, seems you can make them fit without the clone :roll:

Post edited by eyesee on
    edited December 1969

When I said above that the Body and Head morph packs are the bomb, I was talking about:
    Evolution Body Morphs
    Evolution Head Morphs
    (Both together sold in the Evolution Morphs Bundle)
    and the
    Evolution Muscularity Morphs

But Thorne made some resource packs that are also valuable additions for dialing in very specific characters, if you really need to fine tune, and other morph packs just add that much more flexibility to the whole genesis system.

There's a lot to choose from. I like collecting monster stuff for Genesis, like Fantasy Shapes, Raw Art addons, AntFarm, etc., MS Lycan really rocks... oh my... I could go on, but I gotta go ;)

edited December 1969

eyesee said:
    Hi Holly,

I haven't got the V3 to Genesis, but the V4 to Genesis. Hadn't tried it till seeing your post and it works fine putting Shadow Dancer for V4 on Genesis in Carrara.

You have to be careful if you want your clothes to fit the new shape that a clone is included, which it is in the converter you've selected.
    Some just allow you to morph to older shapes like - http://www.daz3d.com/generation-5-legacy-shapes-for-genesis-2-male but without the clone the clothes will not morph.

EDIT: I bow to Dartanbeck's experience, seems you can make them fit without the clone :roll:

The product that Holly linked to is a clone for Genesis 1 to use M3 and V3.
    Eyesee is correct. There don't seem to be as many of these things out for Genesis 2 yet. I know that they have M4 and V4, but not sure about the rest.

Do note that Genesis 2 is not yet fully supported (listed among the 'known issues' for Carrara 8.5), but can still do a somewhat decent job with auto fit for some things without even a clone. I really want those clones for V4 and M4 for Genesis 2, but I don't have them yet.

Genesis 1 auto-fit with the Generations clone packs, like the one Holly has linked to, works pretty darned good in Carrara.

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited May 2014

Thank you... It would be a big set back to have to rebuild every character from unfamiliar morphs....

But thanks to your explanations, I see a vendor has products in the store (not the fast grab though) that seem to be able to transfer my various morph sets into Genesis. It's an expensive route, but at least I know it exists....
    http://www.daz3d.com/dimension3d

One more question... How do you pose? Do you use poses for Genesis or for the Mill3 (etc) generation? What happens to my extensive mocap library for Mill3?

Post edited by wetcircuit on
    edited December 1969

Mocap:
    They might get you close, but certainly not perfect. I don't have huge experience with this yet, however I was making a video tutorial on the subject of fixing this stuff with the graph editor.

Again, I don't have much for Generation 3, mine are all for Generation 4.

Generation X by Dimension 3D:
    I've not tried this yet. Funds (or lack there of) have only taken me so far, as Genesis is till not my main model yet. It's taking me into a turn-over period. Others may still pipe in on how well it works. I seem to recall someone saying (but this is my memory talking from a post or posts I was glancing) that it will even work with extra morph packs that have been used as it actually makes morphs and adds them as a selection (dial) to Genesis - but I'm not really sure. I might have marked it in my Form Help Threads index though... I'd check, but like I said, I gotta go. As soon as my pants are dry I have to fly my but to work! :ahhh:

I would like to add this, however:
    If you have a large selection of Generation 3 clothing and hair, etc., that would be a decent way at a somewhat minimal expense to get your feet wet into using Genesis 1, if you'd like to at least try the idea. If you have characters that you are really attached to, leave them as Generation 3 figures for now, and just use Genesis to make folks that are new or less important. When I tried making a Genesis 1 Rosie, I couldn't, just because the teeth are too big and a few other considerations, where I have an almost exact double of her made in Genesis 2 already - and I didn't have any help from this or that, aside from having a bunch of shape packs, like the Girl 6, Josie 6, V6, etc., and some cool expression and smile shapes and such. No she doesn't have anything to wear! LOL But I just got her a new outfit from being a runner up from that last contest: Emotions Outfit for Teen Josie, but she hasn't tried it on yet.

Switching from earlier Generations to Genesis takes just as much 'getting used to' as any other new generation switch, I think. At least as much as it was for me to get used to the generation 4 changes, and then some.

Genesis 1 is so handy to have for me, because it can be male, female, child, animal and monster. I can turn down or off smoothing to get a fast, lower res figure in the scene that has a top-notch rig. In Carrara, however, you cannot just grab a foot and drag it upwards. It messes with the other foot. Something that they just couldn't nail down yet. That's not an issue for me - I like to rotate the individual joints for poses.

01_emotionsforjosie_mainpromo.jpg
    350 x 455 - 31K
    edited December 1969

So I'm going to start with these clothes as Rosie's new costume to cover her up a little more. But I'll be changing the textures around, so it will not look at all like that when I'm done.

edited December 1969

Hmmm... so posing is compromised? I guess that has to do with the IK?

At least this way I can (mostly) keep characters' styles intact (clothes, poser hair prop).... My Mill3 figures are really looking dated, especially elbows - creases, etc. I'll have to figure out what to do about their textures, but I guess any Mil4 textures will work on Genesis 1...?

Clothes and hair probably my biggest concerns (and investment) at this point. Most of my Mil3 textures are too low res to bother saving. I'll be happy to transition to cleaner (larger) maps.

Any other advice about transitioning to Genesis?

What about Mimic? That's all the same, basically? I hear there are issues with Genesis creating a ginormous scene file (something to do with the clothes?)

Does switching to Genesis mean I will HAVE to use DS...? Am I safe to use Genises and be 99.98% Carrara?

• argus1000argus1000 Posts: 701
    edited December 1969

Can I use my Mill3 morphs with these..., or is it just the base shape of that figure and I must use Genesis morphs on top of these figure shapes?
    Am I basically able to dress Genesis in my Mill3 clothes? Then morph the Genesis figure and the clothes with the Autofit thing?

Yes, from my experience, you can use all the M3 clothes on Genesis with the autofit plugin, but only if you use them in Daz Studio, and then import them as a DUF file in Carrara. If you use the autofit plug in with M3 clothes directly in Carrara, you will have very unpredictable results.

edited December 1969

That about Mimic? That's all the same, basically? I hear there are issues with Genesis creating a ginormous scene file (something to do with the clothes?

Not mainly the huge file sizes, but the TIME it takes to load a Genesis figure! It is a real incumberance to have to wait ages to load a clothed Genesis figure in Carrara.

edited December 1969

argus1000 said:

Yes, from my experience, you can use all the M3 clothes on Genesis with the autofit plugin, but only if you use them in Daz Studio, and then import them as a DUF file in Carrara. If you use the autofit plug in with M3 clothes directly in Carrara, you will have very unpredictable results.
    So... do the conversion in DS once... but after that am I ok in Carrara? Once inside Carrara can I save these new items to the Browser and use as any other Carrara item?

In otherwords, do I become dependent on DS for every little thing, or can I fumble through DS as quickly as possible and then back to business... The way I use Poser just to "fix" some things?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,041
    edited December 1969

Daz studio is an essential part of the workflow as autofit in Carrara sucks eggs.
    I fit in studio and save as support asset
    I have generationX too, it is great, you can get a pile of morphs from all supported figures
    scale up slightly on x & y axis after selecting all in vertex room is my pokethrough workaround as is lasso select or paint figure parts and create new shading domain make alpha 100%

edited December 1969

[So... do the conversion in DS once... but after that am I ok in Carrara? Once inside Carrara can I save these new items to the Browser and use as any other Carrara item?

Yes, you can import the clothed Genesis figures once, and save it to your browser. You don't have to be dependent on DS for every little thing. You can be happy ever after in Carrara land from then on.

Personally, I also like to use Animate 2 in DS for my basic animation, because it can do some things easier than the Carrara NLAs, and then import those animations as DUF files into Carrara, but that is your choice. You don't have to.

edited December 1969

Thank you everyone. I will try to catch up...

The weight and age morphs for Genesis look very helpful... Maybe if I can get over the hump with DS it might open me to other options as well -- I'm just worried about adding another program to my workflow, as I don't have much time these days to learn.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited May 2014

Daz studio is an essential part of the workflow as autofit in Carrara sucks eggs.
    I fit in studio and save as support asset
    I have generationX too, it is great, you can get a pile of morphs from all supported figures
    scale up slightly on x & y axis after selecting all in vertex room is my pokethrough workaround as is lasso select or paint figure parts and create new shading domain make alpha 100%

When you save as Support Asset, are there special settings so you can move, pose, etc before exporting? Have not been into DS for a long time now.

I know about the highlight/shine thingy which has a fix...so it sounds great if the clothes will fit. I just tried to dress Michael 5 with no increase in muscularity with some pants/trousers and his bum and thighs are bursting out of them!

Silly questions. Is Michael 5 considered Gen 2? I have only ever worked with M4/V4 and basic Gen male or female. I perhaps naively thought that it was M6/V6 that were Gen 2. Guess not?

Cheers, :) Silene

ETA: Whilst awaiting some newb advice, I found if I import clothes made for figures other than M5, if I choose Hiro 3, I get a looser fit, not as big as Freak, and can adjust. I just can't cope with the workarounds demonstrated for poke-through as it's so extreme and am not animating anyways. Will see how this goes for fitting my M5. I love his hair and beard, etc and don't want to start over on M4 !!!

Post edited by SileneUK on
    edited December 1969

laurenwbr said:
    Silly questions. Is Michael 5 considered Gen 2?

To my knowledge, M5 belongs to the first Genesis generation (Gen 1). M6 is the second generation (Gen 2).

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

argus1000 said:
    laurenwbr said:

To my knowledge, M5 belongs to the first Genesis generation (Gen 1). M6 is the second generation (Gen 2).

M5 is Genesis 1, not Gen 1 as M6 is Genesis 2 not Gen 2. Gen 1 was the original Michael and Victoria and Gen 2 was M2 and V2,

If you refer to Gen 2 this is what most people will think of, M2 and V2

The 2nd generation of Genesis is normally shortened to G2F and G2M, whereas The first Generation of Genesis is just G1, as it was an androgynous figure which could be either M or F

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    argus1000 said:
    laurenwbr said:

M5 is Genesis 1, not Gen 1 as M6 is Genesis 2 not Gen 2. Gen 1 was the original Michael and Victoria and Gen 2 was M2 and V2,

The 2nd generation of Genesis is normally shortened to G2F and G2M, whereas The first Generation of Genesis is just G1, as it was an androgynous figure which could be either M or F

Bloody 'ell, please don't tell me there's going to be a quiz on this!! :-/ %-P SileneUK

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

laurenwbr said:
    chohole said:
    argus1000 said:
    laurenwbr said:

Bloody 'ell, please don't tell me there's going to be a quiz on this!! :-/ %-P SileneUK

Just trying to avoid any confusions :coolsmile:

edited December 1969

LOL, that's why I call them Millennium3 - because the original Mike and Vicky were "Millennium" figures (I guess referring to the year they were released?) - and of course the irony of calling subsequent generations Millennium 2 and 3 despite the fact they did not come out 1000yrs later....

And the Poser figures were also using G1 and G2 for their figures.... It's not as though this is some huge universe and these companies don't know what their competitors' figures are called.... The whole Genesis name is weird because since Vicky3 DAZ was attempting to merge all figures into one - called "Unimesh" - so all figures within a generation could share maps... The "one-figure" Genesis that could be a man or a woman or a dog or a bat was like a decade in the planning.... Then Genesis 2 comes out and they apparently scrapped that idea. *roll eyes*.

When you jump off the conveyor belt for a couple of figures, the whole thing seems really arbitrary. :roll: