Math...and optimizing 'punches'.

CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
edited May 2014 in The Commons

Greetings,
So.

The Rock/Grass Bundle is out. It's $16.76.

The component parts are $9.77. Combined that would be $19.54, so the bundle is $2.78 less.

Except that I have 3% off. So the bundle is $16.26, the first component would be $9.48, the second (with the extra punch from the first, because the only rational thing to do in this promotion is buy one item at a time starting from the least expensive) would be $9.38, combined is $18.86, for a savings of $2.60. Except that Aiko 6 Pro pack is likely to be $124.95, and the extra 2% off means $2.499 or $2.50, meaning that the actual savings is only $0.10.

HOWEVER it means that the next item I'd buy would be 1% cheaper, so just one anticipated future item only has to be more than $10 for it to make it more rational to buy the first component of the bundle, then buy the second component of the bundle.

UNFORTUNATELY, the bundle ALSO includes a set of scenes and terrain props which appear to NOT be part of the individual components, thus skewing the value proposition entirely.

ARRRRRRRRRGH! DAZ Y U MAKE ME DO MATH AT 1AM?!?

-- Morgan

Post edited by CypherFOX on

Comments

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Cypherfox said:

-- Morgan

Because it is fun to watch you doing it?
    ;)

• EleleElele Posts: 1,097
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Cypherfox said:

-- Morgan

Because it is fun to watch you doing it?
    ;)

Nobody makes it look sexier, cypher...fox!

• cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited December 1969

The props look promising. Too bad they are not available separately. The point is whether buying the bundle will net you two punches (as the contents each earn a single one) or not. You should be able to get both.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,429
    edited December 1969

Cypherfox said:
    Except that Aiko 6 Pro pack is likely to be $124.95, and the extra 2% off means $2.499 or $2.50, meaning that the actual savings is only $0.10.

EXCEPT that the A6 bundle will presumably have intro and PC discounts, so if the countdown discount stacks as normal it will be multiplied with the others making the saving, perhaps, .51 * 2.499.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

The props look promising. Too bad they are not available separately. The point is whether buying the bundle will net you two punches (as the contents each earn a single one) or not. You should be able to get both.

unfortunately teh bundle for that only nets one punch....I guess you trade off having a slightly lower price to purchase both products against getting it as two punches. I always think a bundle should net the extra punch.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

Cypherfox said:
    Except that Aiko 6 Pro pack is likely to be $124.95, and the extra 2% off means $2.499 or $2.50, meaning that the actual savings is only $0.10.

EXCEPT that the A6 bundle will presumably have intro and PC discounts, so if the countdown discount stacks as normal it will be multiplied with the others making the saving, perhaps, .51 * 2.499.

alrighty, here is something that i've always wanted to ask when people do this discount thing...

what does the '*' signify?????????? the asterix...what math sign is that supposed to be? multiply? divide?

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

jakiblue said:
    Cypherfox said:

alrighty, here is something that i've always wanted to ask when people do this discount thing...

what does the '*' signify?????????? the asterix...what math sign is that supposed to be? multiply? divide?

The asterix is multiply

/ is divide

• cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited December 1969

Yeah, if the bundle has items that each get a punch, it should get an equal number of punches.

I haven't bought any punch items as of yet (they simply aren't my taste), but I cannot be sure I won't. The point is, what happens if you buy MORE than 25 new releases and the punch'o'meter runs out of space? You know, that 100% off "Gated Courtyard" sounds tempting, but... I'm certain the sale is measured in such a way you'd actually have to pay thrice to get that discount. Any ideas on how much can the bundle cost? It certainly sounds reasonable to me to buy only items you would buy anyway and count punches as an added bonus. If each is approximately $8 (and it's the lowest price to be seen in the sale so far), easy maths - 8 * 25 = 200. $200?! That's two pro bundles!

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,

Cypherfox said:

EXCEPT that the A6 bundle will presumably have intro and PC discounts, so if the countdown discount stacks as normal it will be multiplied with the others making the saving, perhaps, .51 * 2.499.Auuuugggh, 1am math! Of course! I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you...

SO...

If the price is $124.95 for the Pro Bundle, and it is 0.49 of its usual price (30% off of 30% off), then it will be about $61.23. 2% of that is approximately 1.22. So that increases the bundle savings to $1.38. That means that in order to make up that difference, you would need to buy 14 more punch items at $10 per, and you would be ahead.

Okay, that plus the props and scenes seals it. I'm getting the bundle.

:)

-- Morgan

• almahiedraalmahiedra Posts: 1,349
    edited December 1969

jakiblue said:
    Cypherfox said:

Asterix is the "universal" symbol for multiplication in all programming language, at least for the simple elements multiplication.