Save work on crash..

sweetsunnysidesweetsunnyside Posts: 18
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Hello all, i'm having a problem with when my computer crashes, or when my electric runs out (don't laugh) lol, i lose all work done, not great when half way through rendering work thats taken awhile to do, when loaded back up all work is lost, is there a fix or way to stop this happening?

can anyone help with suggestions on how to sort this please?

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Hello all, i'm having a problem with when my computer crashes, or when my electric runs out (don't laugh) lol, i lose all work done, not great when half way through rendering work thats taken awhile to do, when loaded back up all work is lost, is there a fix or way to stop this happening?

can anyone help with suggestions on how to sort this please?

The only think I can suggest is to use the File > render to disc option. Then when you lose power you will be left with a partial render, from the top down. Goto your source file and mask the bit you have rendered off with a fully black object and render to disc again with a different filename. The render will skip over the black object and press on past with what lies below it. And continue like this until you have got all your scene rendered. Then use a paint package to combine your incomplete renders. If you have the option to set layers to combine via lightness then the black sections will be ignored and you can have your full image without much difficulty.

I learned this the hard way when we had a power cut 500 hours into a render.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,283
    edited December 1969

@sweetsunnyside - not funny. You may want to consider purchasing an UPS. Not exactly the cheapest option but probably the most reliable and hassle-free one.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

consider periodically saving a copy of the scene you are working on, so if something does go horribly wrong, you've only lost up until that last save. I will always also save immeidately prior to trying to use the Instancing Lab, or before trying to modify a material that uses a picture object, since those so often are crash areas for me.

• sweetsunnysidesweetsunnyside Posts: 18
    edited December 1969

@ David i tried the way you said, it blanks out the option to render to disk when rendering if i click on the render it stops rendering completely hmmm! not working the way you said, will try seans way and see if this helps., i not used the instance lab so will give it a go and see, thank you all for the help, have a lovely weekend

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

To clarify my previous comment, you'll still have to restart the render from scratch if the power cuts out; I meant that you won't loose any scene creation work. You'll still loose the render in progress if all you do is save before you start rendering. (although you could theoretically also spot render in pieces and save between them to break it up a bit, but on very rare occasions the spot renders may not correctly sum up to the total image.)

I haven't tried David's layer suggestion yet myself, so I'm not sure exactly why you aren't seeing what he suggested.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited May 2014

@ David i tried the way you said, it blanks out the option to render to disk when rendering if i click on the render it stops rendering completely hmmm! not working the way you said, will try seans way and see if this helps., i not used the instance lab so will give it a go and see, thank you all for the help, have a lovely weekend

Yeah, probably my fault for not explaining it very well, I will try and make a video at some point about render to disc as it is occasionally a source of confusion.

Edit here you go Bryce Basics - interrupted rendering - by David Brinnen

Edit edit and... Bryce Basics - render to disc - by David Brinnen

P57_eg_s5_remix_sm1.jpg
    1700 x 850 - 515K
    P57_eg_s9_remix_moon_gate1.jpg
    982 x 850 - 455K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • launoklaunok Posts: 793
    edited December 1969

David, thank you so much for making these videos explaining a problem I had experienced myself quite often in Bryce ... crashing!

Laura

• sweetsunnysidesweetsunnyside Posts: 18
    edited December 1969

thank you so much for the videos, super awesome! have subscribed over on youtube also. ok, going to give this a try have a lovely start to your back to work tuesday

:)