Weapons Of War materials in D|S?

SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Got a bit of a puzzlement here. I just bought and installed Weapons Of War, and I can't help wondering if anyone else gets anything similar to the promo pics in D|S — I've just tried both the "new and shiny" and "battered and bloody" textures, and they look way off. If I didn't see the shaders coming up properly as UberSurface, I might easily think these were Poser materials — e.g. the main Diffuse Color settings are all a very dark grey 34. I've tried poking at a few values here and there; Diffuse Color, Specular Color, removing the ten-page .tif environment map, etc, but nothing works. This can't be right, surely?

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

This is a Default DS4.6.3 load with CloudNine for DAZ only for lighting. They look okay on my system.

WeaponsWar.png
    1000 x 1300 - 1012K
  • SorelSorel Posts: 1,390
    edited December 1969

What are you render settings/light setup. Also do they need something to reflect off of?

edited December 1969

That was a Average Render setting from the Adamr001 DAZ Studio render settings. And as noted the Cloud Nine for DAZ Studio uses a full environment sphere. That is the for that test. I use lighting such as Cloud Nine for most of my outdoor work just for the environments.

• SorelSorel Posts: 1,390
    edited December 1969

Oh, that question was meant for SpottedKitty, I guess I should have quoted him haha. Curious to see how they look when they renders them.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Sorel said:
    What are you render settings/light setup. Also do they need something to reflect off of?

Render settings are pretty much the default 3Delight, with various Render Settings parameters tweaked e.g. Shading Rate at 0.2 for better render quality, lights are the Easy Environment Winter light set in the Winter skybox. There's an environment map on (I think) all surfaces for reflections, that ten-page .tif mentioned upthread — and no picture viewer program I have can open it, so I don't know what it looks like.

Jaderail, that render's a bit better-looking than I'm getting, but I'm extremely doubtful about the stains and splatters being almost invisible; could this be connected to the IMHO very weird Diffuse Color value? I thought I understood UberSurface better than this.

edited December 1969

I'm under the impression they are more used and not cleaned well textures than supposed to be Fresh looking. I never though much on editing the surfaces at all. I need fresh blood on them I just use another Shader on the item or Postwork it in.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Had to rebuild my test setup. Here we go, battered textures on the outside, new on the inside. The lights are rotated so the main Sun light should be clearly illuminating the flat surfaces. No sign of even a tiny smear of the blood that I know is on the Diffuse textures, and where's the brownish colour on the battered scabbard in the promo pics? This just isn't looking right at all.

WoW-01.jpg
    1700 x 1190 - 152K
    edited May 2014

I have done some experimenting and I think the textures are off some how. I just never noticed until now. But not very much they do almost match in my renders.

Post edited by Jaderail on