PostgreSQL and Carrara

ncampncamp Posts: 345
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

The new version of Studio has PostgreSQL to replace the old CMS database. My assumption is that Carrara users should not install this, since there is not an updated Carrara release to support the new database.

I've not seen anything in the other threads, have any of you heard / seen anything about it?

ncamp

Comments

• Salem2007Salem2007 Posts: 513
    edited December 1969

I was going to ask the same question. Keep in mind it is Friday in the US, and we have a holiday coming up Monday, so it's a "long weekend"....I don't think I'll touch the new version until next week, just in case ;-P

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

Thanks for alerting me to this issue. I will avoid until the database issue is clarified.

• TerritanTerritan Posts: 76
    edited December 1969

Yeah, that also sounds like a don't-fail-to-miss for people who might already have PostgreSQL on their computers and don't want Daz's install to break something.

• EddyMI3DEddyMI3D Posts: 365
    edited December 1969

I already have installed the new Studio package - and there are (up to now) no problems with Carrara 8.5 P
    I assume the new PostgreSQL substitutes the Content Manager for Studio but do not extinguish the old one for Carrara.

• LinkRSLinkRS Posts: 168
    edited December 1969

ncamp said:
    The new version of Studio has PostgreSQL to replace the old CMS database. My assumption is that Carrara users should not install this, since there is not an updated Carrara release to support the new database.

I've not seen anything in the other threads, have any of you heard / seen anything about it?

ncamp

Hi ncamp,

I installed the updated CMS and Studio yesterday. I had a couple of issues afterwards, as I tried "to update database" which was on option in Studio under the CMS settings, thinking it would convert the old version to the new version. It spit out an error, so I wiped out the DB, and had it rebuilt. Once I did that, I launched Carrara 8.5, and it showed an error message in the Smart Content tab... so I rebooted, and now everything seems fine. PostgresSQL is just the database format and engine, and not the "interface" to Carrara (or Studio for that matter), as long as DAZ kept the CMS interface the same (which it looks like they did), the upgrade should be seamless to any application. I am thinking had I not blown away my db, and started and stopped the CMS while initially updating it, Carrara would have been fine. It is fine now thought... good luck!

Rich S.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Quoted over from another thread

rbtwhiz said:
    ncamp said:
    Should Carrara users hold of on loading the SQL based CMS?

Yes. Carrara 8.5 cannot communicate with the PostgreSQL CMS. If you use the smart content features in Carrara 8.5 that rely on metadata and the Valentina based CMS, you will want to hold off on installing this PostgreSQL package. When the PostgreSQL package is installed, Install Manager and DAZ Studio will both prefer to communicate with it... which means nothing you do in either application after installing PostgreSQL CMS will affect the Valentina CMS, and thus Carrara.

I know, the obvious next question. When? The answer to that question is... It isn't a simple undertaking and I will not "promise" a date, especially publicly, that I'm not absolutely positive we can/will meet - which would only be the development side of the equation anyway, and presumes that there are no major hiccups between now and then. We have a timeline that we are working against, but there is too much ground left to cover for me to be comfortable saying anything else at this point.

-Rob

edited December 1969

chohole said:

rbtwhiz said:
    ncamp said:
    Should Carrara users hold of on loading the SQL based CMS?

Yes. Carrara 8.5 cannot communicate with the PostgreSQL CMS. If you use the smart content features in Carrara 8.5 that rely on metadata and the Valentina based CMS, you will want to hold off on installing this PostgreSQL package. When the PostgreSQL package is installed, Install Manager and DAZ Studio will both prefer to communicate with it... which means nothing you do in either application after installing PostgreSQL CMS will affect the Valentina CMS, and thus Carrara.

I know, the obvious next question. When? The answer to that question is... It isn't a simple undertaking and I will not "promise" a date, especially publicly, that I'm not absolutely positive we can/will meet - which would only be the development side of the equation anyway, and presumes that there are no major hiccups between now and then. We have a timeline that we are working against, but there is too much ground left to cover for me to be comfortable saying anything else at this point.

-Rob

Hmmm, I guess that means I am running both services. That sucks. I'll play around with it and post back here what I find. Looks like I may have to roll back to an older install....

Rich S.

• thoromyrthoromyr Posts: 452
    edited December 1969

Since Carrara hasn't been able to use the content database for months I don't feel bad about not seeing this and doing the update. Doubt it could break it any more. Funny: when I put in a ticket about the issue I was told the upcoming Daz Studio version would fix it.

edited May 2014

LinkRS said:
    chohole said:

Hmmm, I guess that means I am running both services. That sucks. I'll play around with it and post back here what I find. Looks like I may have to roll back to an older install....

Rich S.

Well, suspicion confirmed. I was running both the legacy CMS, and the new PostgresSQL one. Based on the above quote, I decided it was probably best to uninstall everything and reinstall. I thought that CMS was installed with Studio, so I used Add/Remove programs to remove both that, as well as Studio, and re-installed via Install Manager. This did NOT reinstall the CMS. In case anybody else does this, CMS is installed through Install Manager. So, remove the PostgresSQL CMS, Studio, and then Install Manager. Then download and reinstall Install Manager, and it will re-install the legacy CMS. If you don't use the Smart Content Pane anyway, doesn't matter either way. Thanks!

Rich S.

Post edited by LinkRS on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,580
    edited December 1969

LinkRS said:
    LinkRS said:
    chohole said:

Rich S.

Well, suspicion confirmed. I was running both the legacy CMS, and the new PostgresSQL one. Based on the above quote, I decided it was probably best to uninstall everything and reinstall. I thought that CMS was installed with Studio, so I used Add/Remove programs to remove both that, as well as Studio, and re-installed via Install Manager. This did NOT reinstall the CMS. In case anybody else does this, CMS is installed through Install Manager. So, remove the PostgresSQL CMS, Studio, and then Install Manager. Then download and reinstall Install Manager, and it will re-install the legacy CMS. If you don't use the Smart Content Pane anyway, doesn't matter either way. Thanks!

Rich S.

Or you can just go to C:\Program Files (x86)\DAZ 3D\DAZ3DIM1\cms and run the installer there for the Valentina CMS.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,041
    edited December 1969

I already whined about these databases in another thread and that was just using studio
    looks like more fussing about coming my way :long:
    trouble is it all affects .duf imports from studio too which is how I use genesis in carrara
    I find myself using genesis less and less in carrara ( I do use it a lot in iClone)
    and lately been using C8.1 a lot too!
    I mostly use C8.5 just for FBX imports inc Genesis from iClone actually, unfortunately that route loses facial morphs or it would be my preferred option.
    Via iClone it is simply a rigged mesh with no baggage
    as a duf it has a whole lot of extra stuff with it such as all the morph/shaping options autofit info etc that carrara reads externally all which can cause an error any time
    I know joint controlled morphs, facial expressions and things are lost but for simple animation not facial closeups I often find it so much easier as selecting it does not call up smart content which often freezes carrara or worse errors it for good, one reason I avoid that SMART content tab like the plague and otherwise import studio set up .duf's instead.
    is a pity one cannot load just needed morphs the old way actually so they appear under general not parameters as this seems to be the issue, parameters references the database I think.

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

PostgreSQL...ugh!

Well, most of you know that I'm a Microsoft shill...SQL Express is free to bundle into applications and immensely powerful. :coolgrin:

Fortunately; I still refuse to use D|S. ;)

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

you do not need to install the new PostgreSQL
    the new version of DS will work just fine with out it
    so far Carrara is working just fine with the new DS

• Zig ZagZig Zag Posts: 96
    edited May 2014

Grrr DAZ should learn to communicate better and upfront on such issues

Post edited by Zig Zag on
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,850
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    PostgreSQL...ugh!

Well, most of you know that I'm a Microsoft shill...SQL Express is free to bundle into applications and immensely powerful. :coolgrin:

Fortunately; I still refuse to use D|S. ;)

And as every other microsoft product, it's Windows only.

I've been working with Databases since Reg800/ISAM800 in the mid 80's which later evolved into RegLisp and then mySQL (all written by Monthy), Sybase (before Microsoft spawned it's OEM version into MSSQL), Oracle, MySQL, OpenBase, PrimeBase, Valentina & Postgres and they all have pros and cons and postgres has a few very good pros, stability and data integrity.

• JStryderJStryder Posts: 168
    edited December 1969

Or you can just go to C:\Program Files (x86)\DAZ 3D\DAZ3DIM1\cms and run the installer there for the Valentina CMS.

Can someone please provide a step-by-step for uninstalling the new CMS and getting Valentina back? Or is it really that easy.
    I take it the only downside to running two databases is that the old one will no longer be updated with newly added content. Is that correct? Any reason besides laziness not to uninstall PostgreSQL, if using both Studio & Carrara? I don't use Carrara often, but still. Two unsynchronized databases will confuse or frustrate me, eventually.

• Tony GrantTony Grant Posts: 112
    edited December 1969

Can i just go back to the last version of Daz Studio that did not have the new SQL? I'm lost with out Carrara Pro. Nothing links or open now. I use it more the Poser.

edited December 1969

glought said:
    Can i just go back to the last version of Daz Studio that did not have the new SQL? I'm lost with out Carrara Pro. Nothing links or open now. I use it more the Poser.

All you need to do is to install the Valentina CMS and uninstall the postgres one as described above. DAZ Studio will use which one it finds.

edited December 1969

Will do. Thank you!!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

glought said:
    I'm lost with out Carrara Pro.
    Yikes! I would be too. Just throw the whole computer away! :ahhh:
  • IamArtistXIamArtistX Posts: 119
    edited December 1969

Daz not supporting it's own Pro app, say it ain't so :p

edited December 1969

Daz not supporting it's own Pro app, say it ain't so :p

What I know it's just not fully implemented yet, in a stable fashion. As long as you keep the Valentina CMS until Carrara has support for it, which I think is not very far away you're all good to go.

• IamArtistXIamArtistX Posts: 119
    edited December 1969

Daz Soon ™ :smirk:

edited December 1969

Daz Soon ™ :smirk:
    soon_daz_soon.jpg
    1200 x 1086 - 255K
    edited December 1969

They will fix it. :) Just bad project timing on my part.