Using a background image in Hexagon as reference for modeling

RakudaRakuda Posts: 931
edited June 2020 in Hexagon Discussion

I am trying to figure out how to load up an image as a background as reference and draw paths to match paths in a park in. It seems it should be basic. Any other examples where others have done this?

lindenwood_ground.jpg
3045 x 4800 - 1M
Post edited by Rakuda on

Comments

• RakudaRakuda Posts: 931
    edited June 2020

Well, short of a technique for loading up a backgrouound, I am just visually estimating.

estimate.JPG
    673 x 520 - 43K
    Post edited by Rakuda on
  • Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,015
    edited June 2020

Well you could try attaching an image to the grids ;-)

Select the image, put a checkmark in the little box, it should appear.

n.b. Square .jpg images tend to work better. Not super large in weight though, remember Hexagon has limited memory.

Put image on grid.png
    316 x 318 - 21K
    Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,015
    edited June 2020

Here's an example of how I might start such a project. Normally I would have started with the map on the floor grid but it doesn't matter, easy to move.

The .obj is in the zip if you want it. I've put the image on a square canvas and resized it down for use in Hexagon.

One then rearranges lines, extracts more lines, eliminates unnessary lines, etc. to make the floorplan. One can then draw up from various lines {copy/paste them to extract from} to make the buildings, etc.

Resized for Hexagon.png
    1024 x 1024 - 1M
    Apply to Grid Wall.png
    1587 x 860 - 482K
    zip
    zip
    For Park.zip
    Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,206

I think some people work with reference materials in a 4-pane view mode. There are lots of videos on Youtbe that show the basics.

Maybe you need to start with something a bit more simple. Here I have called a couple of small JPEG's with plain old lettering designs (typography) on them... I saved the graphics to my "Temp2" directory and the Scene - Properties pane lets me browse to any location, to insert graphics into the floor or background grids in the workspace. What I'm saying is that you might want practice building objects that match the letters (or something similar) using the line and curve tools in Hexagon, or by stretching edges and faces of polygons close to your reference material.

I believe that for scale models and more precise work with your reference material, you need to set up precise guides and from there you want to have your lines and polygons "snap to" the exact position of your guides, but I've never been able to figure that part out. )-:

hexagon-screenshot.jpg
    1341 x 844 - 438K