what exactly are the best figures to use?

ToobisToobis Posts: 962
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I trying to get back into working on some modelling projects with daz 4 but as I have been out of the loop for a while I have lost track of what the best things are currently out there on the market for daz to utilize. I look around and see Victoria/Michael 5 and then Victoria/Michael 6 then Genesis 1 models then Genesis 2 models ...and others I am sure. I will admit to feeling confused and bombarded. I was only really ever used to simply using Michael and Victoria 4.2. Now I am lost as to what would be the best figure type to work with to get renders as flexible and realistic looking as possible but there seems to be so many new ones! should I just assume the best would be the latest which would be the Genesis 2 models? so therefore would be the most flexible and detailed figures out there for daz so would be worth purchasing?

This is all for daz by the way I don't use poser. Thanks.

Comments

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Genesis is the unimesh figure DAZ created for DS4. Out of the box it can morph from andro to male to female to child. The Generation 5 like Vicki5 and Mike5 are simple morph sets for the Genesis base figure.

Genesis uses the V4 uv map by default and many of the Generation 5 morphs also have their own uv sets.

Genesis 2 is the newest base. It returns to the gender split. There is a Genesis 2 Female(s) base and a Genesis 2 Male(s) base.

G2F base uses the V5 uv map by default and G2M uses the M5 uv map by default. The Generation 6's are morph sets of either the female base or the male base.

Better is a matter of choice. Since DAZ gives the Genesis and the G2F and G2M bases away along with DS, you can play with them to see which you like.

Genesis base need the Evolution Head Morphs and Evolution Body Morphs to really get anywhere. You can buy the separately or in a bundle. The G2F has Head and Body morphs as does the male. You can buy the different morph sets separately or in bundles as well.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722
    edited December 1969

here you go http://www.daz3d.com/compatibility-matrix

Really depends on what you are wanting to do.Genesis female 2 (GF2) and genesis male 2 (GM2) come with DS4.6. All the other 6 versions you see in the store are offshoots of these base figures, So if starting fresh, this would be the most likely place to start.

• pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,575
    edited December 1969

There are a lot of attractive looking characters for each generation. When I'm choosing, I find the outfit first and then see what I have to do to use it.

• ToobisToobis Posts: 962
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the replies thus far. I meant to ask this also: are the skins of the genesis 2 models standardly a lot higher definition and better?

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Toobis said:
    Thanks for the replies thus far. I meant to ask this also: are the skins of the genesis 2 models standardly a lot higher definition and better?
    In terms of texture size, there isn't a whole lot of difference between Genesis figures and Generation 4. 4096 is pretty much the maximum resolution of any texture I've seen so far, and to be fair is pretty much all you need for 3D work unless you're rendering at extremely high resolution in your final images.

In practice, since objects are going to be some distance from the camera some of that detail is going to be lost automatically as the render engine condenses pixels into one another. The current resolution ensures that things stay reasonably sharp even in close ups. Some older textures were 3k without negatively impacting visual quality in any noticeable way.

Genesis 2 does however have access to some HD character morphs which provide an extra level of subtle detail for figures.