PostgreSQL CMS?

VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,499
edited December 1969 in The Commons

What is this i just found in my DIM called PostgreSQL CMS?

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582
    edited December 1969

It's the replacement for the Valentina CMS

• SuperdogSuperdog Posts: 765
    edited May 2014

It's the replacement for the Valentina CMS

What an earth is that? And what are we meant to do with it? I don't use DIM.

Post edited by Superdog on
  • WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

You'll find more info in this thread.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/41482/

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,531
    edited December 1969

I had to uninstall it because it interferes with my firewall. :down:

edited December 1969

wilmap said:

That is the most confusing and contradictory thread I've ever read. Probably the worst way DAZ could have introduced a completely new cataloguing system.

What we need is a clear explanation of how to install this new system for those of us who don't use DIM. I have a large runtime with 3d party products so DIM is absolutely useless to me because it isn't flexible enough to be adapted to non standard runtimes. I did try to use it when it was first introduced but it caused a complete mess so I had to delete it.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,126
    edited December 1969

Superdog said:
    wilmap said:

That is the most confusing and contradictory thread I've ever read. Probably the worst way DAZ could have introduced a completely new cataloguing system.

What we need is a clear explanation of how to install this new system for those of us who don't use DIM. I have a large runtime with 3d party products so DIM is absolutely useless to me because it isn't flexible enough to be adapted to non standard runtimes. I did try to use it when it was first introduced but it caused a complete mess so I had to delete it.

I've been mousing through the PG package since it came out in beta - and all I can say is that any manual install instructions will NOT be concise and may not be trivial.

How about trying this:

re-install DIM
    Use DIM to download the PG CMS package and the conversion tool (enter 'CMS' in the filter box to just show these)
    Configure DIM (gear icon, upper right) to define your 32-bit or 64-bit software directory
    -> PG will be installed to \DAZ 3D\PostgreSQL CMS
    Install PostgreSQL with DIM
    Run (if desired) the conversion tool - note that the 'install' actually runs the conversion and should take a while
    Shut DIM down and proceed to ignore it again

This will be much easier than trying to manually do the steps for the install.

Note that if you are using any version of ZoneAlarm as a firewall the PG DIM won't be usable. Disabling ZA doesn't help, it has to be de-installed. See Rob's post here.

See my post here for instructions on moving the PG database to your location of choice.

edited May 2014

namffuak said:
    Superdog said:
    wilmap said:

I've been mousing through the PG package since it came out in beta - and all I can say is that any manual install instructions will NOT be concise and may not be trivial.

How about trying this:

re-install DIM
    Use DIM to download the PG CMS package and the conversion tool (enter 'CMS' in the filter box to just show these)
    Configure DIM (gear icon, upper right) to define your 32-bit or 64-bit software directory
    -> PG will be installed to \DAZ 3D\PostgreSQL CMS
    Install PostgreSQL with DIM
    Run (if desired) the conversion tool - note that the 'install' actually runs the conversion and should take a while
    Shut DIM down and proceed to ignore it again

This will be much easier than trying to manually do the steps for the install.

Note that if you are using any version of ZoneAlarm as a firewall the PG DIM won't be usable. Disabling ZA doesn't help, it has to be de-installed. See Rob's post here.

See my post here for instructions on moving the PG database to your location of choice.

Ok, thanks that's a plan but why not make this new system an optional install as part of the general DAZ installer rather than have it delivered via DIM which many of us do not use? Or offer both options for those who don't want to update to the latest version of DAZ.

In case anyone from DAZ is reading this take note:

MANY OF US DON'T WANT TO USE DIM!

I can't say this loud enough!

Post edited by Superdog on
  • namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,126
    edited May 2014

Superdog said:

Ok, thanks that's a plan but why not make this new system an optional install as part of the general DAZ installer rather than have it delivered via DIM which many of us do not use? Or offer both options for those who don't want to update to the latest version of DAZ.

In case anyone from DAZ is reading this take note:

MANY OF US DON'T WANT TO USE DIM!

I can't say this loud enough!

Well, speaking as a former systems programmer, system administrator, and software developer I can see why they've done it this way. This is a non-trivial install and they've built a tool that makes packaging non-trivial installs for multiple versions of two entirely different operating systems relatively easy. Bang. Ninety-plus percent of the user base covered. Trying to add this into both the Studio stand-alone installer AND (future, at this point) Carrara stand-alone installer adds a lot of complexity - two products, two platforms, 32 and 64 bit, and multiple versions of the two operating systems to test against. For a small team of developers this is a major effort.

I fully understand your attitude on DIM for installs; if you're comfortable with your organization all DIM will do is hash it up.

But DIM is more than an installer. It allows you to queue up multiple downloads and just let them run; it provides a manual resume of interrupted downloads (most really don't need this for most products, but even on a high-speed link this is nice for packages over 600 MB); and, if you do your downloads with DIM it provides notifications of product updates. And in the end, you've got the same zip files downloaded to the directory you've specified and are free to install as you currently do.

Just do not (ever) click on the 'install after download' box. :-)

Post edited by namffuak on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

PosterSQL is Optional. If you do not install it the Old Valentina CMS, if installed, stays on your system and will continue to work just as before.